Safe'N'Sec Review

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SDS909, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Apparantly, Starrob's subtle dig at you went over your head. :-*

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I re-read Starrob's comments and I totally agree. Each person learns from what they do in life. Securing a PC is just one interesting endeavor among many, many more.

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." George Bernard Shaw

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  3. Safe'n'Sec Support

Safe'n'Sec Support Registered Member

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Both of the designs look good to me. What I would recommend is that there be an expanded "Advice" pop-up box, where you can give more explanation and specific examples/scenarios that would augment the basic advice. The examples may include common scenarios where the user should allow the update (e.g. firewall updates) and possibly some scenarios where the user should be more guarded.

Regards,
    Rich

5. Safe'n'Sec Support

Safe'n'Sec Support Registered Member

Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for the advice, the information you're telling about will be available by clicking on the "Action Details".

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The new design does look a lot better, but the first looks identical to the second o_O

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

This a very long thread. I've noticed people have encountered a lot of problems with the 1.0 release. Have things been smoothed out with 1.1 ? If so perhaps a 1.1 thread?

8. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

2.0 is due out in a week or so.

Corporate Editions with centralized management are in testing right now, and they are pretty amazing for corporate deployment. Users can "Ask" the admin how to handle something that pops up, etc.

Good stuff.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hopefully, the big version jump from 1.1 to 2 will be a free upgrade for present licensed users? :doubt:

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

hmm, i signed for beta testing and they said there should be a beta soon.

11. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I believe it will be free..

Also, Safe'n'Sec Business with Admin Console launches today.

http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=83&id=517

Enjoy.

12. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Exactly why I would never ever try out any of their software.. Ever

13. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Give me a break.. People hate Star-Force Copy Protection because it has been proven to work (unlike other copy protection schemes). So the better it works, the more AGRO is built up. Besides, SNS has nothing to do with Star-Force Copy Protection.

14. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Star-Force has proven it can mess up any computer.
    SNS is from the same company.. No thanks - I'll just stick with stuff that actually works.

15. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Why not try the program first, Brian, instead of relying on hearsay.

SafeNsec works straight out of the box. Very easy to set-up and use ;)

16. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Its one very nice piece of security

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I tried version 1.x in the past so I can't trial it again, but will I be able to trial ver 2?

18. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Way to keep an open mind!

I wouldn't be making allegations about how it messes up computers without some strong, actual evidence.

Maybe i'll send "mikel108" over here to post a canned corporate reply fron Star-Force to prove your allegations false! :D :D

19. Card Scott

Card Scott Guest

I don't like very intrusive copy protection schemes that install drivers and all sorts of crap without your permission.

Some of them even remain after uninstalling the game.

20. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Actually all of them remain after uninstalling the game. But the games ship with a removal tool. Similar in how if you remove your sound card from your computer, your sound drivers are still there.

It installs drivers, but i'm confused what this "all sorts of crap" is? Also i've yet to have someone prove to me that it is intrusive? Star-Force is on multiple millions of PC's worldwide and nobody seems to complain - except the pirates.

Can we please get this BACK on topic? This thread isn't about Copy Protection!

21. The Hammer

22. Pericles

Pericles Registered Member

The culprit wasn't SnS. It just so happens that since uninstalling SnS, I did not do a memory scan with Dr. Web which is what artificially inflates memory usage.

23. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    My initial SNS observations
    Based on the suggestions from two users in here (I value their input), I decided to try SNS. So I put my name in for the "beta" test and got 1.1(build5) for testing.
    Let me outline the test system (router,Dr Web, & CounterSpy 1.5.66 beta, XP SP2)... I decided not to test it on a virtual machine, but use the system as it was setup.
    Let me say that I am not a guru in understanding ALL the details of how SNS achieves their results. Their web page gives some details of how it works.
    I am impressed with SNS, as it has "alerted" me on everything I have thrown at it. Dr Web does do the real time scanning and it catches a lot, but SNS remains in the background as another layer if defence catching everything else.
    It even "alerts" me on my screen saver.... now the downside.
    The "new" CounterSpy (1.5.66) has some problems with SNS (or SNS has some problems with CS) and I am in correspondence with both to pinpoint the problem. (I am NOT blaming SNS at this point), as a lot of people who are testing the new CS (1.5.66) are having problems launching CS, and they don't have SNS.
    After using SNS to scan for malware, it finds a "possible" (operative word) trojan in the CS folder. When SNS has completed its scan, and closed, then CS will not launch. I have to use shutdown CS (using the tray icon), then use task Manager to shutdown the running "SunThreatEngine". After those actions I can now launch CS from the icon on the desktop and everything now functions as it should.
    Now, taking into account the situation outlined above, I would still reccomend SNS (this is not a comparision to PREVX... I have not used that application) as another layer of secuity protection for PC users.
    The technical help from SNS has been excellent and I commend them on their efforts.
    That is my .00002 cents worth.
    Cheers :)

24. The Hammer

If Safensec is set to strict will I see a lot of alerts? Also what is the current version number as it is not evident on the web page? I says it loads with the OS. Does that mean it loads before NOD and BOClean which I also have?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Very few unless you're installing something. The alerts I generally see are registry writes (typically in the autostart area) or changes to system files/folders during an install. It a quiet application.

The current version is 1.1 according to the website (see download area).

On when it loads, not sure. The description sounds like a kernel mode driver. If you look at this post earlier in the thread, it would have to be early.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.