SafeCast Shared Components, howto deal with?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Minsak, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minsak

Minsak Registered Member

SafeCast Shared Components,
    Macrovision RTS Service
    File Version 4.16.052

Original file name: CDANTSRV.EXE

Uninstaller listed under Control Panel-->Add or Remove Programs

The copyprotection SafeCast is associated with an installation of:
    Mathcad 11
    (This is a math tool I got to use in school)

It was Tenebril SpyCatcher that got me on the track of SafeCast. Now I am worried that if I uninstall and clean the computer for the SafeCast that I will no longer be able to use Mathcad 11.

What should I do? Try removing it, and is there some emulation of SafeCast that would let Mathcad 11 continue run. I would like to continue to run Mathcad 11 which I have received in legal ways. I feel pretty much lost deciding what measurements to enforce on my system.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

That is correct, see Mathsoft FAQ. If you want to use Mathcad, see if you can exclude this protection from Spycatcher. Otherwise, ignore it.

Blue

3. Minsak

Minsak Registered Member

Reading the following at MathSoft's website:

Q: Some have characterized SafeCast as "monitoring software". Is that accurate?
    A: No. SafeCast technology does not do anything by itself; rather, it adds to software products the ability to create and verify licenses for authorized users. Even in implementations that use a background process, that process does not "monitor" anything. It merely waits for commands from the software product it's associated with, and occasionally sets a flag or increments a counter in a license file, so that the licensed product itself can confirm that that file has not been tampered with.

4. Minsak

Minsak Registered Member

A computer system with all it's software is rather complex. I did have a keylogger alert. Therefore I was a bit worried, and I have problems understanding the SpyCatcher software fully yet since I am new to it.

I was mixing the locations a bit up, so here is some corrections:

SpyCatcher did give alert on the following files:
    C:\WINDOWS\CDAC14BA.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\CDAC13BA.EXE

While the looking in the SpyCatchers --> System Explorer I found this information on the memory resident program CDAC11BA.EXE :
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE

Looking in the same "drivers" folder I also see a file called:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\CdaC15BA.SYS

Summing them up these 4 files only is weighing:
    52 kByte
    12 kByte
    21 kByte
    197 kByte

So there must be more stuff hiding since this is far from 2 Megabyte

Not sure yet how to deal with the stuff. Removing it and I may loose access to Mathcad.
    Looking for a SafeCast emulation maybe, if that exists at all, and then facing to break the lisence rules??

Leaving it, and it my compromise my privacy !?

There must be a reason why Tenebril first added it to their SpyCatcher product for detection.
    It may be a false positive, but it is not good to know for an end-users with the limited knowledge we got.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.