Safe to use Chrome as default PDF reader?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by nine9s, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

I have been reading reports of Adobe Reader exploits. Since I only read PDFs and do not need any extra options or anything, I am satisfied just using Chrome to read PDFs. I uninstalled Adobe Acrobat reader and linked PDF files to be open by Chrome.

I have no PDF addons on Chrome so it just using the native ability of Chrome to read PDF files. I would think this is safe but I want to make sure there are no security concerns doing this over Adobe Reader or any dedicated PDF reader program?

Would it be better security-wise to use Adobe Reader or is Chrome safer?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If you don't need Adobe Reader as minimum you are reducing the chance of vulnerability being exploited through it. Otherwise fingers crossed Chrome finds and fixes and security issues before being exploited. Although Adobe is working just as hard.

3. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Would Chrome likely use the same module to read PDF files whether those files are web link and it reads them versus downloading them or if you used it to read PDF files saved on your PC? If so, since reading them on web as natural part of Chrome, I guess Google checks it for vulnerabilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.