Safe to Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Laurelton, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurelton

Laurelton Registered Member

I'm a registered user of True Image 8.0 (using Build 786). Working fine. Is it "safe" to upgrade to V9? Is it worth it (Simple home situation - 1 PC)?

TIA

2. dld

dld Registered Member

I'm staying with TI 8.0.937. I haven't seen any reason for upgrading. The only "improvement" I can see is that TI 9 can back up individual files. Big deal!

3. Laurelton

That's it?

I've been using 'Genie Backup' for my data files & have no complaints. Simple and fast (plus, it came bundled w/ my PC, so no cost!).

I haven't experienced any issues w/ 8.0 b786. Is it worth my time to go to b937?

Don't get me wrong... I love Acronis... just wondering if I need to spend the $$$ to upgrade.

TIA

4. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

As long as 786 works satisfactorily for you, there is no reason to update to 937.

5. dld

dld Registered Member

If you are happy with TI 8.0.786 there is no reason to update to TI 8.0.937.

As for upgrading, consider the following:

Acronis True Image 9.0 provides you two backup options in one software:

1) Our original disk imaging backup option which enables you to create an image of your entire hard disk drive, including the operating system, applications, user settings, and all data. Use the image to restore your PC to a known working state without any reinstallation.

2) A new file-based backup option which enables you to backup and restore individual files and folders, like your My Documents folder or a specific file, like your latest tax return. A software wizard walks you through all of the steps.

I can mount my image and copy individual files. No need to backup individual files. The only instance where this may be useful is if you need to do a daily file backup. As you point out, there are many programs that will do this for you.

And then Some!
    Acronis True Image 9.0 makes restoring your system even faster with the exclusive new Acronis Snap Restore feature. It also provides several additional enhancements.

Exclusive Acronis Snap Restore — Lightning-speed restore of your PC from an image. You can start working in seconds while your system is still being restored.

Do you really want to work on your computer while the restoration is in progress?

Exclude files — Save space when creating backups by only backing up the types of files you want to keep

Differential backup — Decrease the number of backups you manage. Differential backups capture the changes made since your last full backup

Expanded Acronis Drive Snapshot technology — We've expanded the no reboot feature to include backing up specific files and folders. We can even backup system files and open files with no issues. No matter which option you select, you can continue to use your PC during backup.

Do you really want to use your computer during a backup?

Windows System Restore management wizard — If you run Acronis True Image 9.0 regularly this feature in your operating system is redundant. Free up to 10% of your hard disk drive by disabling this default feature in your operating system using Acronis True Image 9.0 software.

This one is a joke. I can disable Windows System Restore with one click of the mouse.

As was pointed out somewhere, this new release would only be justified if Acronis could backup directly to and span DVDs, which it can't do.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Is that the Laurelton next to Springfield Gardens?

7. Laurelton

Thanks, dld. I agree with this, along with your other observations. Sounds like I'm OK with what I have. I appreciate your comments.

8. Laurelton

It was back in the 50s! ;)

9. Howard Kaikow

PS 37 and PS 156 too.

Heck, this off topic.
    Sorry.

10. Laurelton

Wow. Small world, eh? PS 37 it was.

One other Acronis question, in order to stay within bounds here...

For version 8, when upgrading from one build to another, is it "safer" or more sensible to uninstall the existing version before installing the newer one? Or has it been proven to be safe to just install over the top?

Thanks again all.

11. Howard Kaikow

Well, when I was at PS 37 (sneaky way to include a reference!), Mr. Gordon never taught us about computers, waye too long ago to consider such beastes, but I did get sufficient educational background to enable me to notice that, for many types of products, it is oft better to uninstall the old version, then install the new.

Depends on whether the product retrieves old setting files, etc. Sometimes its better to re-enter everything.

Pages 11-12 on the user's guide addresses installation, but makes no mention of what to do about previous versions.

Ah, I just noticed that the FAQ states:

"Do I need to uninstall the existing version of Acronis True Image prior to installing the latest update?

No, this is not required. You can install the latest update for Acronis True Image 9.0 over the existing version. To do this, run the installation program and select "Repair/Upgrade Acronis True Image" option."

I guess PS 37 made me persistent.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Not quite true Howard. Despite what it it says in the FAQ, there is a bug in TI 9 Build 2323's installer that requires you to uninstall any previous version/build first. Acronis Support say it will be fixed in the next release.

Regards

13. Howard Kaikow

Wow, 'documentation" can be wrong!
    I guess whomsoever wrote the documentation did not go to PS 37.

14. Laurelton

:)

Thanks Howard. I had read, in some of the other posts here, that it was prudent to uninstall when using V9; I guess there's no harm in doing the same w/ V8. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks also for the trip down memory lane. Since I haven't been in that area in over 4 decades, I imagine it's changed a bit.

15. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Aren't you permitted to download the update to 937 since you have a Version 8 license? I would download it and have it stored away in case I needed it later. Don't know about Acronis' policy but a lot of SW companies make previous updates hard to get a hold of after the current release has taken over.

16. Howard Kaikow

Unless advised otherwise, I almost always do clean installs for any product.

I left in August 1963, my parents and sister left in 1977.
    Actually, they moved to Franklin Square, but I found them!

Oh well, I bought some Carnegoe Deli Pastrrami at Costco earlier today, at least I can eat like a NYer for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.