safe surfer looking for lighter options

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Hi

A safe surfer looking for lighter options?

Probably just the KAV6, Windows Firewall, router and a hardened OS is sufficent. Adding a light software firewall such as Kerio 2.1.5 and a nice safe browser such as FireFox or Opera could be the finishing touch.

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

If you NEVER go to a bad website and you use Firefox or Opera, I would suggest you only use KAV6 and any firewall like Windows XP SP2 or a NAT router. KAV6 uses a web scanner and watches out for spyware and unusual program behavior. I agree with 12fw above. Should have read the other posts before writing this one.

SourMilk out

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i should have ye

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, it an extra option and there is a reason that it is not enabled default, not critical to use................so you don't have to turn it off, i always use it though.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok thanks don.

kav without pdm but with prevx1 and look n stop might be a good option.

but bitdefender and antivir are still conterders.

antivir is one of my fav av's atm i hope there suite is a huge success and might end up buying that and using it along side prevx1

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have noticed that with f-secure it updates bases and program updates itself and so does bit defender 10 according to the manual. but with kaspersky its recommended to uninstall current version for new version. so with the other av's its less uninstall and reinstall.

7. Don Pelotas

Nope, only major updates like the MP1 will require this, so far 5 updates have been made to 6.0 since the release (may 15th) and even if you used the first installer with 299 designation you would still be running 303, despite the 299 designation.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok then thanks.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

with the arrival of outpost 4.0 which i have been waiting for for a while. the best firewall is back. so its simple now Av+prevx1+outpost 4.0 that means i get two active antispyware even thou i dont know if the outpost antispyware has improved much or not.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  10. austin1257

austin1257 Infrequent Poster

Lodore, XPs firewall is all you need with Prevx1. A router helps, but save the money.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok then.

I have already got a nat router so that wont cost me money.

but av+prevx1 should be light and also protective

12. Don Pelotas

Outpost is a waste of money, if you use a NAT router, PrevX, & AV.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok thanks Don.

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Now that i've had a play around with it i can say that upcoming avg internet security suite is very light. It has all the basic protection and my computer still runs beautifully.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

tbh i wouldnt use avg on this pc i dont think its detection is good enough.

one thing that i would like to note is the detection rate of antiviruskit isnt much better than the single engine av's so why would you use that and have a much slower pc.

if the problems with bitdefender thave been fixed and the resourse useage is ok then it could be a good choose.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

lodore, Kas AV, Prevx1 and a good nat router. Then enjoy your pc and quit comparing. Forget the rest, and get the best.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lo Trjam. im definatly getting prevx1 ive already got nat router. i do like kav but theres one or two things i dont like. e.g i see if kaspersky works so i tryed the eicar test virus on it it detected it and got rid of it like it should. then i run a scan and it found it in windows Recycle (I hope you know what i mean). i dont need it to find a threat that has already been got rid of. i think in MP1 there is an extra tab that you can change so it wont do that. like only change it to on execution only. but i would like an option to detect the viruses if they just get placed on desktop but not opened e.g. zip file. but not detected when they have already been dealt with.

the only automation is clean as option 1 option 2 is just delete. what about second option quarantine?

you can setup antivir and bitdefender as second option to be quarantine so why cant kaspersky. also if they have been put in quarantine they wont be detected again in the scan since they wont be in recycle folder.

i might put part of this post in to kaspersky forums sergestions.

lodore

lodore

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  18. Don Pelotas

Lodore, as usual you're worrying about stuff you shouldn't be worrying about, the quarantine option you seek, you have already used when you delete anything = it's in "backup" which is Kaspersky for quarantine, quarantine in Kaspersky is only for heuristical detections, which is why you can send files for analysys strait from there.

If you had Kaspersky running, you would not even be able to execute eicar, because it would be stopped cold before even entering the HD, so whatever you have tweaked it sure wasn't a good choice.;)

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i was complaining about the fact that when kaspersky deletes a virus e.g. eicar test virus it ends up in windows Recycler Folder which in turn when you run kaspersky on demand scan it then picks it up as a threat again even thou its already been got rid of. Don, can you do a little test then?
    try eicar test virus tell kaspersky to delete it then run an on demand scan and see if it picks it up?

and make sure it is set on defaults. because if you change the setting on the mp1 beta tab it will then not pick it up in the scan.

lodore

20. Don Pelotas

I don't think you understand Lodore, if you use the default recommended settings, it wouldn't even reach your pc!

I didn't really need to do a test, but i did & as always, when deleted, it was deleted, no recycler folder etc, it must have been there from one of your other trials of AV's or it's a beta bug.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

as i explained i made a notepad file on my desktop with the eicar test virus code in it then i told kaspersky to delete it when the prompt box came up. and then when i run the on demand scan it came up. i dont know why, im just telling you what happened.

whoops I forgot to put the main point here. the os i tested it on was my crappy windows me system. so i guess thats why?

because windows me was a rubbish OS at the best of times. i really dont know why i forgot to put that.

i guess it ended up in reclyer because thats the way windows me works.

but i was testing on my old pc that happerned to have windows me on it because i didnt want to have to unintall f-secure to test it.

22. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For the average user and safe surfer avg is sufficient imo. Plus their 2 year license price is around the same price as some av companys charge for 1 year.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well ye IMO.

i just prefer the interface detection rate and options in kaspersky and the other av's in my sig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.