Safe Firewall ??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Anav, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anav

Anav Guest

I have been using ZAP and was alarmed :D that it may not be doing the job according to wilders.
    I was thinking of switching to TINY due to the time of day controls but have put that on hold.

Apparently only LookNStop actually prevents non-microsoft type packetso_O from travelling through the firewall.

Has there been any discussion on this issue??
    Will ZAP 3.o address both time of day and the above type of packets supposed vulnerability??

Thanks

2. Ron_P

Ron_P Registered Member

Not a ZAP user, but the reports I've seen are that 3.0 does stop outbound leak testers. You may want to check out Sygate Pro, along with LnS.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Anav,

The quite soon to be released new Tiny PF v3.0 should take care of the problems you described.

Indeed LooknStop has it fixed (actually, the first one who managed to do so), and ZA PRO should have this fixed as well, same goes for Sygate Pro.

regards.

paul

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Please note, the following is a joke, and is not intended to be taken seriously:

Check out the link below for the only, 100% secure firewall...

http://web.ranum.com/pubs/a1fwall/

Enjoy!  :D

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I dissagree, the computer has to then be taken in to the <insert remote location here ei: desert, mountains, ocean> and buries in an unmarked and deep hole. notice the long /lat from your gps, but don't write it down, just remenber it. Then come back and get it when you need it again

6. javacool

LOL!

I'd rather lock the computer in some sort of safe that would not be penetrable my any force known to man, and could only be opened with my fingerprint, face-scan, iris-scan, 100 number long alphanumeric combination.

...And THEN bury it in <some remote location>.

Enjoy!  :D

7. Tiger_Barb

Tiger_Barb Registered Member

Watch out for those Charlies Angels, I think they could still get you.........

T Barb

8. javacool

Here's the official response from ZoneLabs on this problem (from the BugTraq archive, here: http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/244192.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions, Anav.

Enjoy! :D

9. Paul Wilders

As for this moment, there's - as far as I know - just one official software firewall release available coping with this issue: LooknStop.

No doubt, in the near future many (now Beta) firewalls will release their official release coping with this as well.

regards.

paul

10. javacool

Probably, as the latest ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0 beta seems to be fairly near a RC release (in the opinion of a couple people on these forums - not officially though).

11. zappa

zappa Registered Member

I uninstalled Zone Alarm.  Best decision I have made.  Zone Alarm has more holes then swiss cheese.  

12. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Such as?

13. javacool

I have not found any major problems with ZoneAlarm (in fact, I have it on all of my computers) - there were a couple minor cosmetic issues with the interface, but that has all been fixed now in 3.0.

Personally, I fell nothing can live up to the number of holes in swiss cheese - except for an unprotected computer on cable internet with file sharing on with no password (running Windows 95 with no patches) - THEN maybe we can talk about things in relation to swiss cheese  :)

14. root

root Registered Member

"except for an unprotected computer on cable internet with file sharing on with no password (running Windows 95 with no patches) - THEN maybe we can talk about things in relation to swiss cheese"
    Now that's a scary thought.
    And what's worse, there's probably thousands of computers all over the world in just that condition.  :eek:

15. Paul Wilders

Hi root,

I'll bet probably millions... :rolleyes:

regards.

paul  

16. javacool

1 billion...going once...going twice...

17. Paul Wilders

Final bid: 1,5 billion. Don't bother; that's final  :cool:

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.