RVS 2010 and user profile location

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by GabberKooij, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabberKooij

GabberKooij Registered Member

Hi,

I have a new system i want to use as a kind of public computer for 8 people.

Can I use the virtual disk as user profile location? I would have bbest of both worlds:
    - keep the machine clean
    - the users can still browse internet and create documents in their own My documents folder.

Is the virtual disk available on time for the windows login? Or should i create a partition for this?

(i will change the user profile location by changing the ProfilesDirectory in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList - The users are not created yet)

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello GabberKooij and welcome to the forums :)

Yes, you can use the RVS Virtual Disk for this purpose. You need to configure it so that it loads with Windows and you should be good to go. If this is going to be a permanent configuration however, I would suggest that creating a Data partition might be a better long term solution for this as well as user generated content (documents, game saves, etc)

Mike

3. GabberKooij

Thanks

It looks like repartioning in Windows 7 has become easier as long as you have enough disk space...

- Just created the new partion
    - changed the registry so the new user folder locations will be on it. And created accounts
    - disabled automatic windows update
    - installed office and ESet virus scanner
    - installed Computertime (from www.softwaretime.com) to limit the time people can use the computer and created accounts
    - started each account to created the folder structure and set the internet explorer settings (like search tool and start page)

any other things to remember before i put RVS on?

4. Coldmoon

Just the usual maintenance things:

1. Install all current MS updates/Windows Updates
    2. Defragment your hard drives (best performance)
    3. Backup, backup, and did I mention backup? Depending on the version of Win 7, you should also be able to create a full restore image. If this is available, you should have this for emergencies (at least).
    4. Make sure all your other software is updated

With this, your computer should be configured with best performance and you will be good to go.

Mike

5. GabberKooij

It seems to work, but i do get sometimes a blue screen during the first logon after turning RVS on. After this it will work as expected. Any clues? (the login was in the 'poweruser' account located on c drive

6. Coldmoon

Please send a full report with the text of the blue screen to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com. In the interim, does this occur in an Admin or limited user account?

Mike

7. GabberKooij

I does happen in the admin account. Not sure about the limited accounts.

I will try to get the info tomorrow.

8. GabberKooij

A report has been send, should be arrived by now ;-)

9. Coldmoon

Hi,
    We have the logs and the team has been updated. In form, it appears to be related to another issue we are already working on, so a fix should be included for your situation.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.