Running too much protection?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by bobsd, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobsd

bobsd Registered Member

I installed Spyware Guard and MRU Blaster yesterday, updated and all was well. Signed off the internet and left the room for several hours. When I returned, the screensaver was locked up, finally got it off. The desktop picture was gone and the screen was blue except for the icons. Windows Task Manager said CPU usage was 100%. I rebooted and removed the two programs and everything ran allright all day today. I am running XP SP2, AVG Anti Virus, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D, and Microsoft Anti Spyware (Beta). Am I being overcautious and running too much?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  2. bobsd

bobsd Registered Member

Please change Spyware Guide to read Spyware Guard

3. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Nope. Spyware Guard and Spybot S&D are not resident in memory, and AVG is pretty light. I don't think that's the problem here.

4. john smith

john smith Registered Member

Which firewall are you using? I ask because I use Zone Alarm (free version) and occasionally one of its modules begins eating most of the CPU resources until I close it down and restart it; hasn't happened in a while, though.

Check Task Manager and see which app is using the most resources.

John S.

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

That can't be it either. I have ZA free, Pro, and Suite on different computers with SGuard, and no problems. :T

6. bobsd

bobsd Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I am running Microsoft's firewall.

7. Cindy62707

Cindy62707 Registered Member

Hi,

I am wondering if you have solved your problem as I started having a similar problem today. My CPU usage for Spyware Guard is running at 97-98%, occasionally dropping down to 67% before bouncing back up again. My CPU meter is at 100% and it usually is way down 4-30%.

I am running Windows XP with all Service Packs installed. I have SpywareGuard 2.2 running in the task bar at all times and I run Webroot Spy Sweeper every night in addition to NAV.

Everything was running fine until today. SpywareGuard has never been a CPU hog before so I don't know what to do about it. I checked liveup date and it says I am current on on SpywareGuard updates.

Can anyone help? I saw an old message talking about the same thing without a definitive answer but it was too old to reply off it.

Thank you,
    Cindy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.