Running Skype in DoD's Lightweight Portable Security 1.3.4

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Seabord, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seabord

Seabord Registered Member

Just started using the US DoD's basic distro of Lightweight Portable Security Linux distro, (the one under 200mb without the Office suite).
    http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm
    Once loaded, I find it is fast, with great security features (duh). I'm impressed by its clean and functional, lean desktop look and essential functionality, it's ease of use (especially, its automatic wired/wifi adapter & network detection).
    The only thing missing that is essential to me, is Skype.

I saved the install files to the flashdrive I boot LPS from, for this version of Skype:
    Skype 2.1 Beta 2 for Linux for Debian Lenny.
    (Any suggestions for another version of Skype for Linux?)
    I had installed that version in PuppyLinux before, and it ran well.

Since LPS loads to RAM only and is non-persistent, I need to work out a step-by-step install process to use for each session, or better, something like a cron job, i.e. a file that I could save to the flashdrive I boot LPS from, and run to install Skype each time I start a session.

Can someone please help in preparing this on-demand, manual install procedure for Skype in LPS
    This would make it a distro that is at the same time very secure and very useful for daily phone & browsing use.

The DoD is welcoming requests from users, but I think it probably would take a great deal of time before they would really add Skype into a remastered distro of LPS. I would really welcome help in making the current LPS version as it is, one that I can use for my regular phone activities, in a way more secure that most other Linux distros (excepting Tor).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.