Running JanusVM + Tor Browser Bundle

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by markedmanner, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

I was wondering if running JanusVM (turns Tor into a VPN connection) and then using the Tor browser bundle on top of that would make it even more anonymous? Here is how I see it. I have JanusVM running with makes ALL TCP connections from my computer run over Tor. Then on top of that running Tor browser bundle would make another tor connection which would be routed through JanusVM and over tor. In this case the exit node (the one used with the JanusVM tor connection) would not be able to read my traffic and all it would see is a connection to another tor entry node because I am creating a new tor circuit with the browser bundle. So basically I have 2 tor circuits hooked together and the first circuit (JanusVM circuit) can not see my traffic even at the exit node. I know this sounds a bit complex and maybe I have it all wrong. I am just wondering if I have this all correct?

2. markedmanner

I would assume running connected to JanusVM Via VPN + Torchat on top of it would also increase anonymity.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

The traffic inside the circuit is already encrypted, one exit node will be able to log the traffic anyway, so how is this different than using more nodes?

4. markedmanner

True.. This will give the same effect as using more nodes though right? Also how can you setup Tor to use more nodes? Also how can you be specific on which country you want the exit node in?

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

tbh not sure, but I'd think this would restrict the nodes the browser bundle can connect to, imagine an entry node on port 443 and a JanusVM exit node that forbids port 443.

AFAIK you can't do that with Tor bundle but I sometimes use AdvOR on Windows, you can choose between 1 to 10 nodes.

I would like to know how can I create a VM like JanusVM but using Windows so I can use AdvOR instead.

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#ChooseEntryExit

You can open JanusVM.vmdk in another linux VM and edit the torrc file.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  6. markedmanner

If you find out how to do this I would love to know as well. Thanks for all the info as well.

7. anewerauser

anewerauser Registered Member

but I think it will increase the level of anonymity!
    I am suggesting the following debate:

But i have a couple of questions:
    Can i use "TOR Browser Bundle" inside the workstaion,so i will actually get a circuit of 6 nodes,instead of 3 only?especially because JANUSVM was not updated for a long time and i think its version of TOR is outdated and may be impacting security breach.
    That is,the JanusVM Gateway gives 3 nodes and “TOR Browser Bundle” give other 3 nodes.
    Does this approach will increase the anonymity level?or it will be useless?
    For example suppose that 3 nodes of the tor inside the JanusVM Gateway were compromised,will the other 3 nodes of "TOR Browser Bundle" protect the anonymity ?In other words will the last [third]node of the tor circuit built by TOR inside the JanusVM Gateway see and know my real ip [given that they are compromised] or will they just see and know a stream or packets of a new request for a new circuit ?
    i hope i had managed to explain my point of view?

JANUSVM is a good approach but it lacks being an open source and it is outdated and not supported any more AFAIK.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.