running ATI 11 as standalone (i.e. no services/resident programs)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ljwobker, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljwobker

ljwobker Registered Member

Is it possible to use ATI 11 as a fully standalone program -- i.e. without the services or startup processes running? I ask for two reasons:

1) I'm one of those control freaks who prefers to have as few things running as possible.

2) I've got one of the OCZ core SSDs, which performs much better with MS SteadyState installed --- but SteadyState is incompatible with the Try&Decide feature of ATI 11.

The disk imaging and restore components of ATI are fantastic, but that's really all I need -- not the other stuff.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

ljwobker:

Welcome to the forum.

You appear to be describing the Acronis Bootable Recovery program. You can, using the Bootable Media Builder option in True Image, create a boot CD or a bootable USB flash drive. The result is a fully standalone program that is independent of Windows. You can boot your PC with it and do backup and restore operations as you've described.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ljwobker,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

The only limitation of Acronis bootable media is inability to mount backup archive of the drive, but in other options it’s fully functional, so you can use it for your purposes. See Acronis True Image home 2009 user guide for more information on how to create Acronis bootable disc http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

4. kebwob

kebwob Registered Member

I think what ljwobker means is something that runs in a Windows environment that just does the basic backup/restore/browse of images, not any of the scheduling/one touch/try&decide etc. fluff, I would not mind something similar myself. The standalone bootable media is all very well, but to access image files in Windows, for example, you still have to install the entire package.

Used to use an old copy of Powerquest Drive Image 2002 before this, using the boot floppies alone to make/restore backups, and just its image browser from within Windows. A standalone Acronis image browser for Windows would be very useful, maybe its one for the wishlist!

5. Acronis Support

Hello kebwob,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Thanks for suggestion we will certainly review it. Meanwhile you can receive Acronis' releases and special promotions information if you sign up at our web site

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

6. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

On the same theme I am a bit puzzled by the limitation of the bootable media.
    I have created a backup of my boot partition using TI 2009 and stored it on a network drive (it will eventually be put on another hard drive in my computer when I get round to installing it).
    If my boot partition is corrupt and needs to be replaced can I do this from the boot CD

7. Acronis Support

Hello Oldjim,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

You will be able to get the access to the archive using Acronis Booting Rescue Media. You can find the archive under My network places item.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.