rundll32.exe problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by puff-m-d, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I need a little help. All of a sudden I am getting rundll32.exe errors on just about everything that I try to open on my control panel. I reinstalled my OS but still have the problem. Does or has anyone out there had this problem or know how to fix it?

Regards,
    Kent

Attached Files:

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Hi
    1.Check your Event Viewer to see what sort of errors are being logged.
    2. Check your system for viruses
    http://www.command2.co.uk/cod_ev/ by Command AV
    http://www.rav.ro/scan/ by RAV Antivirus

3. Unistall Kazza (if you got one)

Technodrome

3. snowy

snowy Guest

PUFF...is it possible that you deleted the .dll ?

by re-installed.....you re-formatted ??

whats your os ? there are some difference with win 95 to others in respect to this .dll...........what I can't understand is...if you completely reformatted why you would still have this problem. un-installed any programs recently.........virus control up to date.....haven't been hit by a sub-seven.....

4. puff-m-d

HI snowy,

I can find the file in both my C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dllcache folders. Properties show 31KB and a creation date of 8/32/2001 @ 8 am on both files.

My system spec are listed in my signature. Let me know if you need to know something else.

I had neither installed or uninstalled anything recently and was just in Control Panel > System checking out a driver version yesterday. Today I proceed to go and uninstall some unneccessary software and cannot access Control Panel > Add / Remove without getting the error. Upon investigation, I discover I cannot access about 2/3 of the items under Control Panel without getting the error.

Very, very strange to say the least.........

Regards,
    Kent

5. puff-m-d

Hello all,

I did a complete reinstall of my system but problem persists.

I do not have Kazaa installed but just in case I did a search and found nothing (sometome no telling what a son might do).

I did another online virus scan (besides NOD32) with Command but come up clean.

My event viewer shows nothing but my DisKeeper starting and stopping.

Regards,
    Kent

6. snowy

snowy Guest

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/windows/topics/errormsg/emresctr.asp

I sure hope the link works....its very long!

TECNO....could this possibly be a DOS Boot virus ??

Puff I know you must be going through real heck right now.......but hang tight my friend.

7. snowy

snowy Guest

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/windows/topics/errormsg/kbkern.asp

8. snowy

snowy Guest

The following conditions can cause Kernel32.dll error messages:

Damaged swap file
    File allocation damage
    Damaged password list
    Damaged or incorrect version of the Kernel32.dll file
    Damaged registry
    Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    .dll files that are saved to the desktop
    Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    A control panel (.cpl) file is damaged
    Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    Damaged Java Machine
    Damaged .log files
    Damaged entries in the History folder
    Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    Viruses
    Damaged or incorrect Msinfo32.exe file
    Low disk space
    Other problems that depend on the Kernel file
    For additional information about Invalid Page Fault error messages, view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Q286180 Invalid Page Fault Errors Occur in Windows

***copy & paste from M$ support site

9. snowy

snowy Guest

unfortunately the links wont take you to the listed site...

10. YODA

YODA Registered Member

11. snowy

snowy Guest

YODA....its my friend Yoda to the rescue.....thank you!!

TECHNO...in your expert opinion would replacing the dll actually be a considered option...? my guess is that its not the valid dll causing the problem....perhaps another program is or a worm...guess only......the w32/leave.worm would alter the run32.dll this way I believe.......how about TDS....?
    these are questions of course....right now Puff may be having a real time trying to get here to the BB an questions are about all I have...

12. snowy

snowy Guest

TECHNO

OOPS...sorry, I just now noticed your post on the virus scanners.....

13. YODA

YODA Registered Member

heh hey nice to see u snowman.....

hey puff-m-d,

I'm sorry i myself cannot help u, its out of my league..... maybe this Windows Support Center provide by Prince_Serendip in a recent post can help u:

http://www.aumha.org/

YODA

14. snowy

snowy Guest

PUFF

noticed the software you have installed on you pc...as listed in your sig.......man you really are carrieing a load there.....all very good programs.
    I know zip about XP.......an if system mechanic didn't help you....I can't think of anything else that possibly would.
    if its not a virus......an the dll wasn't deleted....an you already tryed un-installing all those programs and reformating "clean" then I am at a complete lost....
    you mention "re-installing" but did not actually say you "re-formatted" not being picky here but there is difference.....a "restore" is not a reformat.....whats baffling me is that if you "re-formated" then your computer should be in the same condition as the day you purchase it..or nearly as possible.....an the problem with the run32.dll could not possibly existo_O/

snowman

15. puff-m-d

Hello all,

Just a quick progress report.

When I go to Start>Control Panel> and then to one of the items there (about 2/3 of them will not work), I get the error as shown in my first post.

However, if I doubleclick on one of the .cpl files, it works perfectly bringing up a control panel window. I checked all of my .cpl files this way and they all work.

So now I think maybe my control.ini file might be corrupt. I rename it then reboot thus creating a new one. Well, sad to say this did not help either. So this is not the problem unless somehow another corrupt file is being made, which I consider to be highly unlikely.

I have ran full scans with NOD32, TDS, RAV Online, and both WormGuard and RegRun did not pick up on anything. This was in addition to doing a complete reinstall of the OS.

I do not want to do a total reformat and clean install as I will lose alot of files and it will take a long time to get back to where I am ( o_O as I do not have any back-ups :rolleyes: ).

So it looks like I am back to square one so to speak but I would like to thank everyone for all the help so far, especially you snowman. I have chased a few good leads even tho the problem still persists.

Regards,
    Kent

16. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Did you try SFC (system file checker )

17. puff-m-d

MTM,

I had never heard of SFC before you mentioned it. I assumed it was a windows exe so I searched for it, found it, and proceeded to try to run it. I discovered it ran under DOS so I opened a command prompt and ran the program.

You have earned yourself a karma cookie as it fixed my problem!!!!!!!!

Thanks for making my morning!!!!!!!

Regards,
    Kent

18. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Running SFC regularly is part of good maintenace practices as it regularly checks the integrity of your system files.
    When a file is found to be corrupt, it prompts to restore the original file.
    Not sure where it is located on XP but under 98SE you find it by going to:
    Program/accessories/system tools/system information/tools
    Glad i was of help ! :D

19. Technodrome

Windows XP
    Start---->Run--------> type this sfc /scannow.

Technodrome

20. puff-m-d

Well....SFC worked until I did a reboot.........

The same old problem came back, except for, now get this, running SFC will not fix the problem now. Hmmm..... very, very strange....

For now as a fix, I have made shortcuts to the .cpl files of the control panel components I need to access. Doubleclicking on these shortcuts works just fine, but not doubleclicking on the components under Start>Control Panel. Weird, huh?

Hopefully someone else may have an idea or two in the meantime, before I decide to do a complete reformat and clean install :D . I really do not want to do this except as a last resort o_O .

Regards,
    Kent

21. Technodrome

Memory virus cause this type of errors!

Technodrome

22. puff-m-d

Posted by: Technodrome
    Posted on: Today at 09:13:58am

Quote from: snowy on Today at 12:43:55am

TECNO....could this possibly be a DOS Boot virus ??

Memory virus cause this type of errors! Technodrome

I have done a full system scan with NOD32 including memory. What else can I do to check for a memory virus?

Regards,
    Kent

23. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Kent - Did you also scan with WormGuard? TDS?

Won't a system restore work?

Anything you can do with RegRun? Pete

24. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hello puff-m-d, this may be way off base, but I had some similar problems with control panel applets and they were caused by Wormguard. Wayne advised me to wait for the upcoming new version as the problem was out of his control. Sorry, I can't be more specific, this was a while back. I am on Win98SE with IE6.0. Might be worth a try to uninstall Wormguard and see if this has any effect on your problem. Program obviously doesn't effect everyone this way, maybe you are as unlucky as I was.

25. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Only a "thought" - did you run ad-aware and\ or Spybot S&D??

Spyware can do "strange things" :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.