rundll32.exe and "run a dll as an app" error message

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

i have the error message "run a dll as an app" the problem is a file called rundll32.exe
    to start with where is this rundll32.exe? and is there a backup copy someone in a windows folder? and if so where and can I restore it? or is there a website where i can get a copy of it?

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

First something about rundll32.exe:
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/rundll32/

It's original place in your sytem is:
    c:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

There should be a copy of it in following folder:
    c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\rundll32.exe - or better restore it from your Windows Setup CD!

If not here a download link:
    http://merijn.org/winfiles.html#rundll32
    Note: The files available for download on this page are taken from US English versions of Windows (unless noted otherwise). If you have a Windows version in any other language, you should not use these files.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

erm i cant seem to find There should be a copy of it in following folder:
    c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\rundll32.exe

is it hidden?

I live in the uk so im guessing i have the uk version of windows. windows xp service pack 2 i have so why cant i find the file? or folder? and the other thing is i dont have a windows xp home service pack 2 cd. my pc never came with one

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

No it is not hidden.
    Anyway, download the file at the link of my post and copy it into your system32 folder. That's it. Should be no difference between a US and GB Englisch version.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i did that then logged off then when i logged back in the error message is still there what should i do?

or do i have to reboot or shutdown before it works again?

lodore

6. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Strange.
    First give following a try. Go to your 'Start Menu ->Run' and type following inside:

RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0

Execute.
    This should open the Control Panel applet for configuring the display properties. Does it work?

If not try a reboot?

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i might try that in a mo. but when i logged back in after i send canceled the error report again. I re downloaded the file and tryed the replace the currrent file in system32 folder and it seems the original rundll32 file was there again. i know this because it was dated 2004 which is when I got this pc. so when i log of something must be puting the original file back any ideas what is and how to stop it from?

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

These types of errors are sometimes caused by malware. Have u done any scans with your security software?

snowbound

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if done some tests with some antimalware programs i tryed spysweeper last night but it didnt help. this error has come up ever since i installed spysweeper 5.0 beta 3 so i uninstalled it at the time and went back to version 4.5 but it still comes up. it only comes up on my user account and no one elses. so im guessing the beta screwed it up.

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

By the looks of it, that's quite possible.

I have learned the hard way beta testing in the past. Personally, i wouldn't do it again without a test machine.

snowbound

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have learned the hard way as well thats why im testing kaspersky beat on my old pc instead. but now i need a fix for it.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

but i still done know why the original file is being replaced when i log off or reboot would windows be doing this for any reason?

13. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

You _have_ to replace the rundll32.exe in the 'C:\Windows\sytem32' AND in the 'c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\' folder.

If that still not helps have a look at this discussion and tell us if you find the same in your PC. Is the exe running in the background?

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

rundll32.exe is running in the background. I checked task manager.

but its just odd that when i tryed to replace it again the original from 2004 was back in there.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I really cant find the service pack folder. this pc was installed using the windows sp2 cd and not installed later as a service pack.

16. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no it is only running once in the background. I have the file in C:\windows/system32 folder. but I dont seem to have a servicepack/186 folder under the windows folder is this normal or not?

I dont have this folder c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\rundll32.exe I have typed it in to the address bar and it says not found is this a bad thing or is it different of certain systems?

18. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I don't know how your PC is preconfigured regarding software, but anyway all that behaviour is strange. I am running out of ideas. Only chance boot into safe mode a scan for virus and malware.

19. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

strange i am running out of ideas. Only chance boot into safe mode a scan for virus and malware. Have you installed any Betasoft, etc. before this error message appeared?

P.S. Just read that you said it is running constantly in the background?
    IMHO, it shouldn't do that in no way, because its only called when some programm wants to load a dll file into memory, etc.!!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have had this error message for a few months now and it happerned as soon as spysweeper 5.0 beta 3 was installed so i quickly removed it. but the message is getting annoying now so i want to get rid of it and fix it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.