'Run safer' in online armor free and system restore

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cet, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

If I use run safer for IE or limewire will it be the same as drop my rights.I use geswall free for limewire.Can I uninstall geswall free since I use 'run safer'.In the help section of online armor there is no detailed explanation of run safer.
    Also has anyone tried win system restore with online armor free.Does it work.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi cet

Run Safer is exactly like drop my rights, in that it does the same thing. Can't tell you about system restore, as I don't use it.

Pete

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I've tried it :)

Yes, it does work. It used to be turned on automatically for programs such as Internet Explorer, ICQ, Yahoo, etc - but now we made it so you manually have to do it.

The reason is - when IE is running in a restricted mode, it can't do things like save to c:\ (root) - or, alternatively, if you download an EXE and run directly from IE (don't do a save-as) then it inherits restricted permissions as well. These are useful things - but if you are not expecting it, it looks like a problem.

(for example, you dont want IE to run EXEs with admin rights - and if you want to download something, save it first - then run it from the desktop)

This was causing people confusion. To turn on RunSafer for IE, open it up in "My Programs" - right click to get the advanced options on the entry for IE and check "Run Safer".

4. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

Hi, Mike

"Run Safer" = "Normal User"?
    If not, could you elaborate on it?

Thank you in advance

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi,

It has the same reduced privs as drop my rights. So when a process is created (even if you logged in as admin) and runsafer selected - it will run at reduced privs.

You can avoid a lot of badness by setting your browsers, ms word, and ms outlook all to runsafer as well as things like MSN Messenger, ICQ, etc.

Mike

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

WOW! Another bonus option in the free version! This app. definitely ranks up there with other freeware security-apps. like SAS. Kind of makes me feel guilty for using the free version. Oh, that's the point! The Pro-version will look awfully good in my Xmas-stocking, and hopefully my wife reads this! :shifty:

7. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

Mike,

thank you!
    Run Safer is very valuable, really :)

Rgds,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.