Rumor: Facebook & Opera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Considering less than those 5 users actually use Unite, it probably can't be blamed for the failure of Opera to gain attention. Opera was already a has-been before Unite even arrived. It's so sad when there is really very little wrong with the browser itself. There's really nothing there they could not fix, and there's absolutely no reason whatsoever for there not to be any marketing, Opera ads on websites, etc. They've turned into the Yahoo of the browser world, and they didn't have to. If Facebook were to buy Opera, I would hope they would put a little life into it and market it aggressively (though I suspect we all known deep down they'll turn it into Rockmelt without any other options/networks).

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I didn't say its the reason it failed to gain traction, I used it as an example of alienation. I was an Opera users at the time they added that feature, which made me move back to Firefox.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Unite definitely made me think twice. I considered it a huge security threat. I guess my last full-time use of Opera was around 2007/8. After that it just started going downhill

4. carat

carat Guest

I would try Facebookera :thumb:

5. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

You and Mark both :argh:

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

7. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned what I consider the most important aspect of this rumour/takeover, namely that Opera owns FastMail. I shudder to think what would happen if Facebook suddenly had access to thousands of email accounts and their data, not to mention how they would want to dumb down an excellent email system.

I'll be first in the queue to cancel my long-standing FastMail account if this rumour turns out to be true.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

This is hopeful. Don't give in Jon & Lars!

9. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Dear Facebook,

Please keep your filthy paws out of my browser.

Also, if it wouldn't be too much of an hassle, would you kindly go die in a corner?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.