Rumor: Facebook & Opera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

While you're absolutely right, I would still caution jumping into things quickly. I would especially caution it when dealing a company whose own stock is very disappointing.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

But that's when the real money is made :D and possibly lost ;)
    But Hungry's young and will recoup.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ahh, my bad :)

@Vasa: Too true. If one doesn't take an opportunity when one sees it, one often is sit wondering what might have been...however one is also not sitting on skid row in the course of a month either :D Really though, I get what you're saying, but these are two companies that do not strike me as sound investments. Anyway, I doubt we need to worry much about Opera stock as that one little rumor is all that's been said and hasn't been further discussed that I've found.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

facebook might be good once short covering kicks in - in the meantime if you were a trader with shorts in position on Opera today you would be smiling. Stock down over 5%. :argh:

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

No shortage of stocks to short ... if Dr. Copper is to be believed but then ...

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

8. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Well, now I'm worried.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No vasa1, no longer using Midori. Have you gone through these tips ? http://wiki.xfce.org/midori/faq

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Maybe it will be all OK & it will be the best thing that has ever happened to Opera.

*Runs to avoid Nurse Ratched who is intent on giving me my medication ... *

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Not to worry. I had to neuter somethings. Problem solved.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

14. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lmao :D What an incredibly stupid move that just alienated tons of users. That was one of the worst things Facebook could have done, you don't drop support of possibly hundreds of thousands of users if not more. There's nothing strategic or business about the move, it's simply idiotic.

Does Mark just get out of bed and go with whatever dream he had the previous night? You don't fight Google+ (and that's exactly what this move is about) by taking away support of one of the most popular browsers out there (2nd, 3rd, who gives a s***). You do it by staying better than G+ (and by many accounts, Facebook was going the wrong way before this ever even came about). All this is likely to do is push some people to G+.

I'm assuming he'll just throw the desktop Opera in the fireplace and re-brand the mobile version, since that's all he is after anyway and really all that Opera can offer to him. This will, if he is lucky, probably drive Rockmelt into the Wikipedia entries for extinct browsers as well.

17. Daveski17

It's that stupid that I have difficulty believing in all of this. I'm pretty sure these rumours are just that (rumours).

I'm not writing Opera off as 'Jurassic Park' quite yet. ;)

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Personally I get an error page in Facebook when I visit the browsers page, and that "we're working to fix it". And then there is this: https://www.facebook.com/help/210310575676558. Not sure what's going on here, unless this is all part of the very over-hyped Facebook frenzy as of late. Perhaps the rumors are some weird attempt at figuring out why Facebook is tanking in the market? :D

19. Daveski17

Probably 'disinformation'. ;)

I mean, no one sane would cease support for a browser as popular as Chrome on their website.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*Shrug* It's Mark, so who knows. When the deal actually goes through, then we can talk about it. Until then, what he does and where Facebook and Opera goes is anyone's guess.

21. Daveski17

Yeah, you're right I suppose. I was kinda looking forward to giving a Facebook-less Opera 64-bit a spin though. Maybe I still will be able to.

22. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Maybe Opera will alienate its users... but I think the 5 people using Opera will live. And Opera's never going anywhere if it doesn't change something big time.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

....Ow :D I do wholeheartedly agree that they're basically killing their own self though at this point.

24. Daveski17

Yeah, I reckon those 5 users will have to get used to SeaMonkey or Maxthon or something LOL.

I've always said that Opera would be the best browser in the world ... if only it worked properly. ;)

25. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's been doing a perfectly good job of doing that by itself by adding things like "Unite".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.