Rules for uTorrent and "download managers" in general

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by loverboy, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loverboy

loverboy Registered Member

I see that v. 4.2.67 has automatically put in the list of "Web Browsers":
    - uTorrent
    - Free Download Manager (fdm.exe)

I read in the Help file that in that list should be checked only the "real" web browsers (Internet Explorer, Opera), so I am wondering if I am less protected if I uncheck utorrent and fdm.exe.

I am wondering also if it is a good habit to exclude from real-time checking "utorrent temp directory", otherwise I think that NOD32 should be continuously checking those temp files.

The same question is for eMule temp directory (that I have deselected from real time scanning)

Thanks in advance for a clarification :thumb:

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

You are correct as far as the web browsers list and what you read in the help file. It is recommended to only check "real" web browsers in this section, but only because if you scan "non-browser" HTTP traffic you may experience speed/performance issues.

Excluding the uTorrent temp directory from the realtime scanner will definitely put your machine at risk and I do not recommend adding that exclusion, or any exclusion for directories that are "landing points" for downloads from P2P software as you suggest.

Regards,

Matt
    Eset

3. loverboy

loverboy Registered Member

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Personally, I don't prescribe to Peer-to-peer file sharing queries since there are too many variables involved including lowered and compromised security to accomodate the file-share.

Hence, no support from me, apologies.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.