Rules and applications for them to be activated

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by manuangi, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manuangi

manuangi Registered Member

I created a rule to allow Bittorrent downloads, having previously (however temporarily) opened ports 6881->6889 on my router.

If the rule's set to active with no apps in its list, I get no logs in the logwin..that's ok, I believe: all traffic trough those port's not filtered.

But, if I set the rule to be started only when my BitTorrent clients is connected..how can it be, that I can see some logs of blocked incoming connections on ports 6881->6889, though the BT client is running and connected to the internet? o_O

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I can’t be sure now, but I think it’s a design bug, overlooked server applications.

3. manuangi

I was thinking about something like that as well..but let's wait for Frederic's answer..

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, I encountered this kind of issue sometimes.

What happens is the Internet Filtering is not configured as faster as it should and some packets reach the packet filter before the rule was enabled by the Application Filtering. As a result, some initial packets to establish the connection are blocked.
    It should occur only at the very begining of the first connections, after the application is considered as connected, normally the problem should no longer occur.

Frederic

5. manuangi

Sorry for replying so late.
    Anyway, things are not as you (and I) wish..I mean, even when the application's considered as connected - that is, as I understand from your words, after a few instants - LnS keeps blocking those packet it should let out.
    I had to make a "general" rule - that is, no more restricted to my BT client - otherwise LnS would block all the traffic.

Is there any solution? I'd be grateful if you could investigate about that..

thank you!

6. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

My experience is the following:
    I use 3 computers with LnS running:

1. WinXP-SP1 connected via NIC(on mainboard) to DSL modem
    No problems
    2. old/slow Win98SE connected via PCI-WLAN to DSL modem
    No Problems

3. Win2k-SP4 Notebook, connected either via NIC to LAN, or via WLAN to DSL-modem or via USB 2.0->docking station->LAN.
    With this computer the following happens: 2 internet applications (Opera and a mail-check-client called "Winbiff") produce the same blocks as described by manuangi. So whenever the mail-checker or Opera try to connect to the internet, I get these temporarly blocks and of coursse this slows down speed. Especially Opera is NOT the fastest browser anymore on this W2K-machine due to the initial blocks.

The strange things are

1. I do get these blocks/logs on the Win2k machine only with Opera and Winbiff, not with Firefox, Mozilla, IE, Thunderbird or any other internet app.
    2. My oldest and slowest computer (Win98SE) does not block anything when Opera is running.

By the way: Merry Christmas to Frederic and to all of you :)

Thomas :)

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

This confirms it is a realtime issue depending on the speed of the computer and the way of the application connects to internet.

Frederic

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, with this kind of application, normally the application is finally considered as connected and rule should be enabled. So only few packet at the beginning should be blocked.
    Could you confirm the mark on the left side of the rule stays red ?
    If yes, are you sure to have associated the right application ?

Frederic

9. manuangi

Yes to both questions! :(

10. manuangi

no news about that, Frederic? are you investigating the bug, by any chance? thank you! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.