RSS?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by securityx, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. securityx

securityx Registered Member

I am new to the forum and would like to subscribe to certain forums via bloglines or something using RSS. Do you have feeds? Thank you!

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

3. dog

dog Guest

Here's an example of the RSS 2.0 feed :)

Attached Files:

4. securityx

I configured it to grab 5 or 6 of my favorite forums and it works great!
    Thank you LowWaterMark and Dog!

5. securityx

Dog, How do you like that Abilon Newsreader? I used a couple of software aggregators before switching to Bloglines so I could access them anywhere. But I really like the look and layout of the one in your screenshot (Abilon). What do you think pros/cons?

6. dog

dog Guest

I've just started using it (a couple of days now) overall I find it appealing. I can't comment on it more than that, as I just haven't had enough quality time with it. The good news is I haven't found anything I don't care for yet, but time may tell differently. I appreciate the layout and overall look of it too, it's what drew me to it in the first place. ;)

Sorry I can't be of more help than that. ;)

Steve

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i tried Abilon a year or so ago and it was my favourite at the time. i stopped using it when i realised you could just put the links into firefox's live feeds. now i just subscribe to poscasts and vidcasts with Opera. still it was fun using it :D

is Bloglines an online thing? that seems to be the way things are going with social bookmarking etc.

8. securityx

Well, I've been using Abilon since I posted the question and I am very impressed. I also love Bloglines (online RSS Reader) and the ability to access from wherever I am, but I really like this Abilon reader. Thanks for that screenshot, Steve, or I would have never known of it!

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I downloaded and set up Abilon (great program!) and used the link in the second post (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_vb_rss_syndication - which it said wasn't right and auto-discovered https://www.wilderssecurity.com/external.php?type=RSS ), but for some reason it's only showing me the author and title of the post, not the content of the post like in Dog's screenshot.. is there a setting that I'm missing, or has this changed? Every other feed seems to be working as expected, it's just the Wilders feed that's not showing the contents.. I also know I set this up before and it worked just fine, just not this time for some reason. Changing it to "Newspaper mode" (as Dog's is set up in his screenshot) doesn't help either.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Anyone? Surely a mod or admin must know if the RSS feed has been changed to exclude post content...

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The WIZZ RSS extension for Firefox shows the text of the post when you hover your mouse over the title.
    I can't find a download of Abilon. Has development ceased?

Attached Files:

12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Unfortunately, I'm not a much in feed reading, so I have no clients to test any of this out. But, I can say nothing has changed here. vBulletin has exactly two settings for RSS - an enable/disable option, and the number of days to cut off displaying old threads updated with content (set to 48 days).

That's all there is to configure and it hasn't changed since we first implemented the RSS feed.

Now, I did just go to My Yahoo! and add a feed from here. Since that is generated within their page and doesn't link me back here via my browser, I can only assume that the content it shows me is freely available via the feeds from here. (They have an option to display just title, or title and partial content.) Here's what it shows from there, and it includes the first line or two of the threads:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.