RSS 2011 and UEFI, GPT

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by login123, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. login123

login123 Registered Member

I plan to install RSS 2011, but have not used Returnil since around 2008. It is a great software,
    but I haven't kept up with developments, so wish to ask a few questions. The forums have answered
    most questions, but a few remain.

Thank you all for your clear and straightforward answers on these forums. That is very encouraging.

If RSS 2011 will just install OK, I can probably get the settings right eventually. :)

I have a HP dv7 1235, UEFI, GPT formatted disk, 1 terabyte, windows 7 x64, AMD A8 5500 CPU, 8gb RAM.
    This UEFI / GPT stuff has complicated things it seems.

Can RSS 2011 create the necessary caches on this system in spite of GPT and UEFI?
    Does RSS 2011 require that Java be installed?
    Will 3.2.12918.5857-REL14 conflict w/ avast ver 7 or Outpost firewall?
    If so, can I just turn off avast & outpost to install RSS, then turn them back on, or must I
    uninstall then reinstall them?
    Must I allow RSS 2011 to phone out for it to work properly? If so, would that be only once, or continuously?
    The download link for system safe free actually goes to MajorGeeks for Returnil System Safe Pro 2011
    3.2.12918.5857-REL14.
    - What is actually going to install?
    - If a license is required what happens when it expires?
    Is the issue of EasyBCD changes being saved fixed yet?
    Reported here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=305695&highlight=Returnil+easyBCD

Thank you.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Returnil hasn´t been updated since that thread was created (AFAIK), so the situation should be the same.

Using Shadow Defender, I found the same problem with EasyBCD (according to a post in the SD thread, the cause is that EasyBCD modifies the MBR (?) )

There is nothing in the EsayBCD site about support for UEFI (or Windows 8 ).

3. login123

Thanks, Robin A. Thought so.

Any idea about questions 1 and 2? Those are the most pressing. The others can be worked out if RSS will install.

I'm not at all sure what will happen if I install RSS onto a UEFI system, with a GPT formatted drive. Just don't know enough about it. 90 percent sure it will work OK, but it sure would be nice to hear from someone who has actually done it. :)

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi all,
    Questions:

1. I don't know of any issues with the virtualization and use of GPT and UEFI

2. No, but the Internet based Remote management console will need JAVA

As for the additional questions about a fix for issues identified in the thread Robin identifies should be resolved in the new RNT (Returnil No Trace) which also has fixes for reported, but rare incompatibility issues reported on some systems (usually results in the error "Returnil Core System not available...")

RNT is currently in internal testing and final adjustments prior to wider testing and is a new generation (4x). It is a strict virtualization solution akin to our earlier 2008 versions in that it is targeted to this specific purpose rather than a vertical layered solution like the current RSS and RVS 3x versions.

As soon as it is available, I will be posting details and links for downloading the software as usual and look forward to the feedback when you get a chance to kick the tires.

Mike

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Also of note for RNT is the fact that it includes Windows 8 compatibility. In previous replies, I cautioned that the first builds would not be Win 8 compatible and this is true, but those builds have all been internal and designed that way at the beginning for more efficient testing of the primary virutalization to ensure the redesign was/is working properly.

Mike

6. login123

Couple more things to check, then do the install.
    Will report what happens.
    Many thanks for the prompt replies.

7. login123

Installation went OK, GPT and UEFI notwithstanding. Installed as a trial.

Virus protection enabled, no conflict with Avast.
    Outpost firewall got a little frantic during the install, is calm now.
    Automatic updates are set to never.
    A bit, not much, slowdown on shutdown & restart. Not an issue.

Machine would not shut down first 2 times, had to use the switch. Restart gave the black screen: "windows did not shut down normally" but "restart normally" worked OK. Shut down & restart worked normally twice after that, with real time protection enabled and disabled.

So thanks very much for this software, it seems to be doing great. Still trying it out, won't relax for a while yet, but many thanks.

Edit: Looking forward to the new release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.