Router Problem I think-looking for advice

Discussion in 'hardware' started by roark37, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No surprise you are getting much faster speeds with your new DOCSIS 3.0 modem. And your 83Mbps speeds are amazing (I'm envious!) and the 62Mbps speed is fantastic too. I pay for 50, but this morning am getting 59.64Mbps on my PC connected via Ethernet.

Wireless typically is slower and is greatly affected by many factors - including number of Ethernet and other wireless devices connected at the time (don't forget smart TVs, smart cell phones, other wireless networks in area, streamers, game consoles, etc.), distance from WAP, nearby sources of interference, barriers like walls/floors/ceilings, pipes and wires in those barriers, encryption, the protocol used (802.11b, 11g, 11n, etc.).

While my PC is getting near 60Mbps, my wireless notebook is currently getting 39.7Mbps connecting via 802.11n and within 10 feet of the my WAP. So while your notebooks are in the 20s, being considerably lower than your Ethernet connected PCs is not abnormal.

2. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Speed tests outside of your LAN will vary due to a number of variables outside your control. If it's consistently dropping below what you're paying for at various times of the day and days of the week, open a ticket or lower what you're paying for.

For WiFi speed, that's somewhat under your control:
    • Ensure you're running the latest firmware on your router, especially since it's an old N--a standard that was sold in draft form for years
    • Set your router to use a channel that isn't crowded; use an app (I use WiFi Analyzer, an Android app, but there are plenty of these apps for mobiles and PCs)
    • Set your router and WiFi NIC are set to max power rather than reduced or power-saving modes (for speed testing at least)
    • Position the two in direct line-of-sight about a foot or so apart for speed testing purposes; for practical purposes, set the router in max open space/minimum obstructions (especially concrete/brick walls; use windows, doorways to your advantage or even your attic if it isn't too hot)
    • Ensure your network interface (NIC) drivers are current
    After all that, yes, wireless will definitely be of lesser speed and greater latency than wired. Something I neglected to mention about wired, particularly with your 100-ft. run (which is fine, spec is 328-foot max run); however, this pertains to copper wire, not copper-clad aluminium (CCA), which doesn't meet Cat5e standards and is sketchy. Something to keep in the back of your head.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.