Router or Hub ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by eyespy, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Hi all !
    A simple question regarding Hubs and Routers.
    I want to set up 2 PC's on one ADSL connection.
    Should I use a Hub or Router for this ??
    I'm a little rusty on my Hubs and Routers !! :D

thanks and regards,
    bill ;)

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi eyespy,

I suggest that you use a router. A router has an internal NAT firewall which stealthens your network. A hub simply connects several PC's in a network, but gives no protection to them at all. Let's call it like this, a hub is quite dumb, a router is intelligent in a way.

If you go for a router have a look at the series from Linksys (BEFSX). They are cheap and reliable.

Best regards,

Patrice

3. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply Patrice ! ;)

Even though you recommend a Router, could a Hub be used also ?

bill

4. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi eyespy,

sure it can be used! It will work fine as well. But you need a software firewall on both of your computers to protect yourself from the perils of the internet. ;)

Regards,

Patrice

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

As far as I know using a hub requires you to define one of your pc's as a 'gateway' machine, that has some form of Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). The reason is that your systems must know how to connect to the internet and that there's only one IP address that your ISP identifies you with.
    So the gateway machine acts like the boudeary protection for your lan and the second PC must connect to the internet via your gateway, either by MS ICS or by some form of proxy software (I used to use Analogx proxy, but there are other tolls available).

Using a hub you need only one network card in the gateway machine, but the ics/proxy part makes it a bit complex and less flexible. I would go for Patrice's solution.
    Other option: use an old pc as a linux based firewall and link that to the hub, so that your pc's can both connect to the internet via the linux router.

You still want a personal firewall to protect your pc's, but since these are free, no big deal ;)

6. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Thanks for the help !

I'm on my way to pick up a D-link Router !! ;)

thanks and regards,
    bill :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.