router or cable problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by oiler9, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oiler9

oiler9 Registered Member

I have a D-Link DIR-615 router hooked up to my cable modem. The speed test I get are really strange. I have 5 meg download and .5 meg upload service.
    The speed test start about 2300 k bps and this goes until about 2/3 of the way through and then it accelerates to 15,000 to 20,000 in the last third.
    Any ideas what can cause this?

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Many cable ISPs provide a "burst" feature...where you can get bursts up past 20 megs for downloads typically under 10 megs in size. Usually you see this burst earlier on during the download, and it will settle down to your normal rated speeds once the download passes 10 megs in size.

Try from several different speed test sites to get a better average.

3. oiler9

oiler9 Registered Member

I have tried several speed test sites and they all come up the same. This goes the exact opposite of the burst. It is slow for the first 2/3's of the way then if goes off the chart ramping up to the 15,00 to 20,000 at the end.

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I normally do not trust speed test sites as they can be fooled. Try using a download manager like "Internet Download Manager", initiate download of a large file from a reliable server (use Vista SP2 for this test), let the download run for a while, the transfer rate shown will be your true download rate.

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

What browser are you using?
    I have seen, on my computer, different download speeds with different browsers.
    Firefox seems to cause most of this type issue on my system.
    Using Opera, everyhting was good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.