Rootkits

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tomdy2k, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

My daughter called and a rootkit killed most everything the day she installed Norton 2013 anti virus..Is there a best rootkit blocker?

2. itman

itman Registered Member

I assume she never created the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool(NBRT) CD?

See if you/her can find someone else running NIS 2013 that has created one and burn you a copy of their CD. She can boot from that CD and run a scan. She will have to enter her NIS 2013 product key when NBRT starts up.

I also believe the NIS 2013 DVD is bootable and I believe their is an option to run NBRT from that DVD.

3. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

TDSS killer..did I screw up..

i ran it and it found forged file....I didn't realize that the drop down where it said skip was a suggestion..I deleted the file..Just hope it wasn't something i needed.:doubt:

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Sandboxie doesn't block rootkits but it doesn't allow drivers to install. If you and your daughter start running your browsers sandboxed, the chances of getting infected by a rootkit while browsing are about none. In my opinion, Sandboxie helps prevent getting infected by a rootkit better than the programs that are supposed to be good at blocking them.

Bo

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yes,since Anti-Rootkit tools are by and large reactive,SBIE's pro-active approach is superior.I'd be very surprised if any rootkit would be able to bypass a well configured Sandboxie.