Rootkits

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by davib, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davib

davib Registered Member

Hi,

Ive used Eset Security for some time now but in the last 5 days I ahve had to reformat my machine as I have had 2 rootkits installed on my machine.

Now the first I can forgive but the second one was installed AFTER I scanned the file and Eset said there was no probs with it

Shouldn't ESET have picked this up? Im wondering whether I should change products cos Im gonna go nuts reformatting..

Until now I really trusted ESET

Any advice appreciated

gmer said it was srsosa but was unable to clear it....any ideas on the best product to get to protect my machine?

2. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

i had a computer infected with srosa few weeks ago (nod32 installed, updated and running), its a variant of beagle worm that you've got.

heres what you do if you don't want to format:

- boot from Windows XP cd, enter repair console

browse, search and delete files:

hldrrr.exe, srosa.sys, wintems.exe and folder c:\windows\system\drivers\down

and

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\m\flec006.exe

good luck

3. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

sorry, i didn't read your post properly, i see you've already reinstall windows.

4. davib

davib Registered Member

Hi,

yeah Im using VISTA and was unable to delete these files, they just kept coming back.

Very disappointed in NOD32 I have now installed PANDA in the hope that this product works better

5. norky

norky Registered Member

Nothing wrong with some safe surfing as well as using an av.. perhaps you need to rethink where you're dling files from.

6. davib

davib Registered Member

I agree that I also need to watchout.... however I have NEVER been hit before with any other product. Eset has been good for 8 months AND when I specifically scan a file prior to opening it and eset says its all good then I expect it to be all good..perhaps Im being unfair but....I no longer trust it

FYI.. I kept the zip file that caused the problem and tested it with a couple of other products.... PANDA and even AVG free versions instantly recognised the file as being a problem ...not ESET!

7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you still have copies of the malicious files in question, please submit them to samples@eset.sk in a password-protected archive with a link to this message so that ESET's virus lab can examine them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. demonio

demonio Registered Member

Eset now updates bagle very quickly!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.