Rootkit Detection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Diver, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're correct that that's the day of the blog entry. However, the blog writer isn't the same person who wrote nor translated those comments, which was originally written in Russian apparently.

The author does seem to take a critical view of others' work. I think the author was trying to convey the idea that, in the author's opinion, most of the other anti-rootkits are easily bypassed if a rootkit writer has the knowledge and willingness to do so. By the way, I've seen elsewhere that the author now works for Microsoft.

3. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Well one thing I'm confused about is, if all anti-rootkits are really so worthless, why are they so popular?

Thanks

4. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

They're popular for the same reason that users of Firefox/MacOS/Linux feel they have nothing to worry about.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Ah... I see. But Firefox really is much better than IE.

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From looking at the results of the anti-rootkit programs from post #1, I wouldn't agree that they're worthless. The alleged author of those comments also made a rootkit that his/her own RootKit Unhooker LE v3.7 can detect but cannot remove, so does that make even his/her own anti-rootkit program 'useless' too because it's not perfect? (See http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13773&PN=2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.