Rolling Backups in True Image 9?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by iansmith, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iansmith

iansmith Registered Member

Has there been any features related to rolling backups in the release of 9.0?

Having to manually deal with backup media getting full is my only issue with TI. It's a superb product, but rolling backups would elevate it into perfection. :)

Thanks!

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

This works for me:
    Set up a secure zone on a slave HDD. Schedule your backups to the secure zone. When the zone fills up the oldest backup is flushed out to make room for the latset one.

Would that do for you?

Xpilot

3. Alan Becker

Alan Becker Registered Member

I have set up a type of "rolling" backup using TI8. I will be updating to TI9 once some of the issues of 9 are solved and its release rate slows down.

(1) I scheduled a full backup to external media, to run once per week. I separately used Windows scheduling (the "at" service) to run a script just minutes before the full backup launch, to rotate the target backup directory.

(2) I scheduled incremental backups, with the previous full backup as the base, to run daily (every day except the full backup day).

This approach has been working very well for months. When I feel comfortable in deploying TI9 in such instances, my "rolling" backup will be simpler. I will no longer need to use Windows to schedule support scripts - they can be launched by TrueImage itself. This will allow external scripts to shut down databases, manage the backup directories, etc. where the scheduling is controlled from a single entity. I was very happy to see this new capability appear in TI9.

4. iansmith

iansmith Registered Member

I can fake a rolling backup by using multiple backup sources, yes.

The problem is it requires double the disk space as a true rolling backup, which can be a considerable expense or problem in trying to fit more drives in a case. I know there are ways to mitigate some of the problems, but it still is far more cumbersome and wastefull than a true rolling backup.

So I still wait... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.