RollbackRx Is Unstable

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dmenace, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I make no bones about it, i find RX's concept unique enough that it gets plenty of attention, and it's features exciting and useful, that is so long as they work as expected without fluttering somewhere down the pike.

IMO though, they still have some code maneuvering to work on yet and who knows maybe that "one" special & stable version that "ALL" softwares produce at some point will finally surface.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I purchased rollback rx last year when i had w2000 and was pleased with it for a month or so.I didnt defrag but used rollback rxs system of defragging .However i began to have intermittent problems starting windows ,and would get an error message that a system 32 file was missing or corrupted..I cant remember the exact file but i never could find that file mentioned when it did boot ,and yes i had show all files enabled in file and folder options.I eventually had to reinstall my OS and have never used rollback rx since .Im 99.9% certain rollback was the cause of the errors as id never had those errors before installation of rollback rx.I do not feel safe using it even though i have a licence.I have put my confidence in shadowprotect and that hasnt let me down ,although it cant really be compared to RRXs snapshot system.However i do believe its safer.
    ellison

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Image Backup (ShadowProtect) is always safer than ISR.
    What can go wrong with "Recovery CD + External HDD + Image" ? Nothing or you have very bad luck.
    Just more inconvenient and slower than ISR.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Yes i have learned that this is the case.Looking at the horizon forums again i ,see that some basic problems still exist.I think the analogy you used in an earlier post of using rollback is like walking on eggshells is very true.But what alternatives are there for those that want to experiment with ISR software these days?
    ellison

5. ErikAlbert

Not much :
    1. RollbackRx, isn't really a reliable choice, unless you are lucky with it.
    2. Simple boot-to-restore solutions, like Returnil, ShadowDefender, DeepFreeze, etc. with less possibilities.
    3. Hardware Recovery Cards, I wonder how many members use these.
    4. Virtual Machines maybe, but I never investigated this myself.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

not much alternatives out there , for thoos who have FDISR before devlope stoped, consider to be lucky

chers:gack:

7. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

Storagecraft is the organization i would have liked to have seen purchase FDISR. solid organization, rock solid products. if Shadowprotect is any indication (and i do use it) FDISR would have been in very good hands indeed, rather than the kiddie-script thugs in who's possesion FDISR was mugged.

Mike

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Script kiddies? Obviously you haven't researched the developers very well. Again some users just post without any knowledge of what they are talking about. I guess thats to be expected.

Thanks,

Chris

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Several posts with a lot of unnecessary mud slinging removed. PLEASE STOP.

10. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

research the developers of RX? why? they demonstrated how much confidence they had in their own engineering/coding/ competency by immediately gutting the superior product - FDISR. Horizon Sys immediately recognized, that for the end-user who was not overly concerned with speed and size, RX brought absolutely nothing to the table. killed the comeptition because they could not match it's brillance or it's stability.

i enjoyed RX alot when i used it. my experience with it, when it worked it worked beautifully, but it also gave me grief, and then when i had enough and decided to uninstall, it hosed the very hardrive i purchased it to protect. i purchased FDISR after replacing that drive, and other than missing the speed of RX, FDISR has been for me robust, stable, and completely trouble free for nearly a year. and i don't believe FDISR had any major upgrades for a year or 2 prior to my acquisition. that is solid development.

Mike

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The track records and comparisons between them speak "LOUDLY" for themselves i think.

Some apps are simply destined to just reach a point of only contention they just can't seem to cross or pass over, whereas others seem to have better maps & charts that get them eventually over the humps to use a casual analogy.

Personally i use FD-ISR (Genuine) and it's SOLID as GRANITE! even in it's so-called obsolete state.

EAZ-FIX is another of my ISR's on a different unit, and rarely gets used anymore although so far it's held up well and surpassed in comparison to Rx.

Those are just my experiences so far.

Rx i've left to others to tool with because theres a limit to just how much discouragement i'm willing to accept in any PC apps.

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I believe the original fd-isr is going to be available. Its being continued on as firstdefense server rescue which is planned for release on june 10th.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:rolleyes: Shut Up with this Already, it's like being in a Zoo with a tribe of Screaming Hyena's all braying about nothing *puppy*

14. demoneye

are u sure? any link for this? coz as far as i read here...the FDISR project freez and accorsding to TODD it will be developed in future to come

chers:)

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

16. demoneye

10x mate , wounder why its is "FirstDefense Server Rescue" hope the "rescue" wont put it with out "copy to archive" again

chers:thumb:

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A couple of points:
    • The topic is RollbackRx stability, or lack thereof.
    • Before complaining of screaming hyena's, make sure you're not behaving like one as well.
    Regards,

Blue

18. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I've been using EAZ-FIX, v.8.1, for 8 months now.
    Like FD-ISR, there is a little learning curve but well worth the extra effort it takes.
    I've had no stability problems.
    It has never failed to work for me when I needed it and I do use it quite often.
    I have no fear of trying different things out on my computer.
    There support has been top notch when I needed it.
    Like it so well that I have it on 3 computers.
    The only problem I've noticed is with the scheduler.
    On 2 XP computers it will not work but on Vista it works fine.
    Never checked into this though.
    Just prefer to take my snapshots at my choosing.
    As some of you would say, I'm one of the lucky ones, but on 3 computers, I don't think so.
    It is just a very good product! :thumb:

19. Chris12923

Glad it works well for you too.

Thanks,

Chris

20. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

Well, I'm glad I read this thread.. I was just about to purchase Rollback RX until I saw this thread. I probably would of been one of the unlucky ones with this technology.

21. Chris12923

They have a trial version so you can see how it works for you. You have to remember more people complain on these forums than give praise. Thats just the way it works.

Thanks,

Chris

22. demoneye

much ppl dont know it uses double the space u have on the potected disk...and when u rollback and dont have enogh space u get a hard STCUK !!
    the only way to revover is going to baseline and loosing all date u exlude

23. ErikAlbert

If you trial RBRx, take a backup of your actual system first and then trial RBRx.
    The trial period is too short. RBRx can work properly during the trial period and months after that. Suddenly BOEM and then what ? You better read the manual and whitepapers and the FAQ about RBRx to learn what is allowed and what is not allowed, because RBRx is too vulnerable.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeh make sure you take advantage of the trial version to see if it will suit your needs. They have an option to register for the trial version and at the end of the trial they send you a discount via email.

25. demoneye

lets face it...there are no realy any other ISR software that can be hundle easy and correct....since FDISR stoped.

so i vote for RB/RF for the best ISR around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.