RollbackRX and slower boot-time on Vista?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by NAMOR, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I'm not sure if this has been asked before and there are too many threads regarding RollbackRX to search each one. I also briefly searched the HorizonDataSys forum but didn't find anything. Anyhow, since I started using RollbackRX, my boot time seems to have increased (maybe 30-40 seconds). Anyone else have this issue as well? Running Rollback RX 8.1 on Vista home Pre SP1?

2. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Its a known thing , since ur computers has to pass through rollback rx drivers during bootup and also the pre-os everytime.

3. fce

fce Registered Member

me too.

not big deal though.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Thanks for your replys...

I thought it was a known issue and it was fixed with the release of 8.1, well according to their knowlegebase anyways.

So I wasn't sure if I should open a support ticket or not.

5. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I have EF (RB) installed on both my XP and my son's Vista machines. EF/RB loads its subconsole on every startup and also executes a defrag-optimization every time 3 snapshots have been added/deleted (per my settings). In our case, the startup delays caused by EF/RB are 8 - 20 seconds on the XP comp and 20 -40 seconds on the Vista comp (the upper value depending on the number of snapshots that happen to be on the system partition).

Understanding the EF/RB operations on startup, I don't consider those delays objectionable and on my XP comp it's certainly no big deal. Even without EF/RB, the Vista comp normally takes more time to startup than XP.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

That is problem according to me with all rollback softwares , though they are very efficient in restoring the system and maintaining multiple snapshots, they take 15 sec on every reboot, that is problem when u are dealing with software that requires reboot , and this becomes more emphatic when a drive imaging software takes just 2 minutes to restore.

7. Aaron Here

As you more or less indicate, 'that's the nature of the beast'. In any case, I would agree that's the way it is, and it's either worth the startup delay to you or it isn't. For me, it's a small concession for the nicety of 'instant' snapshots and restores!

But when you speak about restoring a disk-image in just 2 min, I can only assume you have a relatively small partition. o_O

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  8. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Yes sir i have a partition containing 4.5 gb of os and programs alone compressed to 2.2 gb on backup , and it requires 2 minutes to restore ,and i have another os partition for testing and recovery of the working partition bcos i dont like to boot from recovery cd every time .Hence i dont feel the special need for the rollback rx(Though it is good) as of now.

9. Aaron Here

'whatever works for you' ...and seeing that you are a DS user, I know you are in 'good hands' ;)

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.