Rollback versus FDISR - An Update

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Peter2150, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks guys. I seem to have a knack for finding the obscure bugs, like the one in FDISR. Don't yet know what is going on with Rollback, but I am in the process of rounding up all the stuff running at the time, so can send it to Andrew. Then his lab folks can try and duplicate what happened.

Pete

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Andrew has so far found an issue worth investigating - it could be related to Software or Hardware or the HDS services - I guess. I'll wait for him to sort through his thoughts.

It is great to be able to establish a proper detailed diagnostic/ fault finding process.

Thanks again Chris :)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Let,s watch!

4. Peter2150

Yes indeed. I've gathered the software to send to Andrew, and he has sent me something to run to gather info for him. Will indeed be interesting to see where we go.

Pete

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I didn't say it was not related to RB, I said they mightn't be "necessairily to do with RB", but it could be. There are software conflicts somewhere, which I hinted to, and I am aware Peter & RB are working hard to resolve those issues. It's my hope they will nail the problem down. :)

I'm not even defending RB as I don't use it. I trialled it for a while, but gave up after having to wait longer for Windows to boot up, and went back to FD-ISR.

6. Peter2150

Tony

That is an interesting observation, which having now switched back to FDISR can confirm. I also confirmed it with the KAV beta. Using KAV's Iswift and only scanning new and changed files, if you do a full scan and then immediately rescan you get a good measure of disk performance. With Rollback that time was consistently about 6 minutes, but with FDISR it is about 4 minutes. I guess not surprising since all windows file requests are passed thru Rollback's driver. I wouldn't consider this a negative against Rollback given it does have some advantages.

Pete

7. dallen

dallen Registered Member

TonyW,
    I was not necessarily referring to something that you said. bellgamin seemed a little concerned about Peter2150's issues. mikisu was rather aggressive in defending Rollback and quick to jump to the conclusion that the problem was not at all related to Rollback and was entirely related to Peter2150's system.

TonyW I do not know what I said that gave you the idea that I was specifically talking about you, but I assure you that was not my intention.

That being said, I went back to re-read the thread and found your first comment to be the following:
    I just want to point out that the fact that others have not had a problem does not mean that the problem is not Rollback related. Also, simply because a problem is the result of a software conflict does not mean that Rollback is not the culprit and the cause of that conflict.

That being said, I know very little about Rollback. I've never used it and only know what I've read. Therefore, I am saying nothing regarding whether this problem is in fact Rollback related. I only chimed in because I noticed a few people prematurely concluding that Peter2150's hypothesis was incorrect and seemed a little aggressive in defending Rollback.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Really interesting! Anybody has similar observation? BTW during routine PC use I never felt ant appreciable slow in system with RollbackRx.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

One thing that I'd like to say here: if a program works well for you, and especially if it is a recovery program of some sort, learn to be patient. I learned this early on, years ago, when using GoBack; it was slow, slowed down my whole system, but it did such an excellent job protecting me that I learned to be patient. Same can be said about FD or RB, whichever one that you prefer. If one of these two excellent programs is working well for you, and is protecting you as it is supposed to, who cares if you have to wait for something to happen, whether it be the time for recovery or the initial boot: BE PATIENT!, especially since both of these programs work faster than most other recovery programs. :cool:

Acadia

10. Peter2150

:thumb: :thumb:

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Another user from RollbackRx,
    One of my snapshots has become corrupt. I can,t boot into it, tried multiple times. Can reboot into others. Also can recover files from this snapshot but can,t boot into it.

12. Peter2150

Hi Aigle

Are you by any chance using the version they posted on the website May 18th. I haven't tried it as I've basically commited back to FDISR. Primary reason is backup issues, but I need to call Andrew and have him do a test before I will reinstall it. It is a simple tests mainly crashing the system 4 or 5 times and seeing if chkdsk runs. If it can't do that, I won't run it. I have power button reset my system 5 times in a row with a KAV install and no chkdsk issues.

Pete

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am using the older version. I downloaded it around March. I am a bit busy in my studies so can,t even contact teh support to explore my issues. Will see after a few months if I can do it.
    Just want to ask I have recently installed StarDock BootSkin. Is this a possible cause of my peoblem? Hope not!

14. Peter2150

Hmm. Depends on what it does. If it is a file replacement it shouldn't be a problem, but if it uses the MBR to redirect to a different boot scheme, then that is most likely the problem. You have to be real careful about anything that modifies booting, when using either Rollback or FDISR.

Pete

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

It almost certainly is. Been there, done that. Beware the logon screens too.

16. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I discovered this weeks with the March version of Rollback Rx pro that I couldn't use the recovery file function but I can go from one snapshot to another without any problems... In fact, the problem appears to be that the browser that allow to choose the file or folder to recover doesn't see anything on my snapshotso_O Never had this problem with the previous version but I am wondering, I am the only one wich can not use the recovery function because the browser doesn't sees anything in any of my snapshots (not even in my baseline)o_O

Thanks,
    Atomas31

17. Peter2150

Hi Atomas31

That problem I never had seen.

Pete

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have version 7.2,
    build 2390762762
    Workd ok in this regard.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So it modifies the MBR. I thought it will not. And the boot screen appers only in one snapshot where i installed it, does it mean that it is not in MBR?

20. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I didn't say that. The fact is, I don't know what the specific problem is. I doubt seriously it modifies the MBR. It's just buggy and doesn't play well with FD-ISR among any number of other things.

There are earlier versions of BootSkin that I and other people had no problems with. I got tired of taking the gamble every time a new version came out and, for the low resolution you get and that fact that it's just window dressing, I decided it just wasn't worth it any more.

If you take a look at Stardock's usenet groups, at news.stardock.com, you'll have no problem finding the issues I'm talking about (I mean in general, not sure you'll see anything about FD-ISR).

Aside from my additional problems with logon screens, I have no problems with the rest of the current Stardock Object Desktop components.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.