Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by LenC, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I took a closer look at their website - and got answers to my questions shown below (posted earlier). One follow-up question relating to disaster recovery from a nonbootable computer - website says you hit "home" before windows boots up and you go into a recovery environment. Does that mean the mbr is being changed? If yes, is it a problem to fix mbr if you want to uninstall the program?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been reading some good things about this - have a couple of basic questions:

- I assume when I first install it, it creates a baseline snapshot of my computer. How big is that snapshot relative to size of the partition? If I have a primary partition that is 50gig, how much additional space would I need for this first snapshot - assuming that is how it works?

- If I rollback to a prior date, am I correct in assuming it is a complete rollback of the entire partition including data? So if I rolled back to a prior date, "my documents" folder would look exactly like it did on that date (without any newer files created after that date - is that correct?

Thank you,
    Len

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. raakii

raakii Registered Member

It obviously modifies the mbr,and removes the modification itself on proper uninstallation.Dont externally modify mbr , the program takes care of itself.
    1)Its very small takes around 300 mb i think.If u dont keep file synchronization on the size remains the same.Hence no need to worry.
    2)Yes u are right for 2nd question.u get back all files u deleted and changed and lose all files created in that snapshot.

3. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Regarding 2), you can recover your files from the snapshot you rolled back from. Also a good way to setup your system is to put your documents, etc. on a different partition, then you don't have to remember to recover them.

Silver

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

If you have RB set to take a snap prior to restoring it will do that and then you can mount the image as a drive and copy your files to the current state. Also (of course) if the data is on a separate drive it will not be affected one way or the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.