Rollback Rx...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by fce, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Did you use the Folder Mover utility I mentioned to move your data to the D drive as that should have moved your Outlook files? Any antivirus or any other software that needs regularly updating should be re-installed to the D drive so that any updated files will stay current.

It sounds like you're nearly there, just a bit of tweaking needed :) .

Graham

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Probably you will have to have outllok .pst or whatever saved on your other partition. Still remember to back it up as well.

Thanks,

Chris

Sorry Nexstar I didn't see this post for some reason. Forget this post and go with nextstar's advice.

3. fce

fce Registered Member

Nexstar,

I forgot to install Folder Mover Utility :D

Anyway I uninstall Rollback Rx and AV....and do the clean up (defrag, ccleaner)

After that I install Folder Mover Utility, AV (@ drive D) and Rollback Rx (Protecting only Drive C, uncheck drive D)

Finally got it!! (unless you see something wrong with my procedure).

Tomorrow i'll play and create lot of snapshot and see hows Folder Mover Utility works....Thanks guys!! ;)

Btw, when i uninstall rollback rx i have 3 snapshot....i choose the newest snapshot and i foget how to save my 2 snapshot :'( I have 2 software to reinstall because of that carelessness :D

If ver 8.1 is available and need to uninstall ver.8 how should i save and restore my snapshot after i installed ver 8.1 (or after reinstall ver. :cool:?

4. nexstar

That looked fine :) .
    Have you made a backup image yet? I don't mean with Rollback's internal backup but with some other application. If not then I would do that before going much further.
    Up to now, it has been necessary to uninstall and reinstall for RB updates. It would be nice to think that this isn't going to be the case.....but I suspect it will. So you will have to uninstall to presumambly, your current snapshot then install the update and that will be your baseline.

Graham

5. fce

fce Registered Member

what do you mean backup image?

6. nexstar

Ahhh.....there's more to be done here ;) .

You need a copy of everything that's on, at least, your C drive so that you can put everything back the way it is now but without having to start from scratch. Imaging software does this. You will normally also have to create a recovery CD which is what you would boot with if you need to restore the image.

This is what the backup procedure within Rollback is intended for but I would prefer to have another backup personally. You really can't have too many :)

Graham

7. fce

fce Registered Member

imaging software like ATI? what you recommend c/w RBx

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Good question.
    Anyone?

9. fce

fce Registered Member

Nexstar,

i already used Folder Mover Utility but after receiving my email in current snapshot and when i rollback to old snapshot my email is gone. I thought i can still view my email since FMU will move all pst file to drive D?

maybe i did something wrong?
    1. install FMU
    2. install RBx
    3. install AV at drive D
    4. install MS Office (incl. outlook)

should i install oulook first before FMU?

10. nexstar

Yes, otherwise FMU doesn't have anything to move :) .

As far as imaging apps are concerned then, for me, it has to be Drive Snapshot. But it's not the only option by any means.

Graham

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay. my program of choice is Shadowprotect. Higher end product, that may be a bit more robust, also a bit more expenseive.

Acronis isn't bad if it works for you and if you stay away from all of its frills and stick to basic imaging.

Drive SNapshot which has been discussed here at length is also great if you use a Bartpe disk for recovery. It's dos recovery is terrible.

IFW/IFD are also great, but better with Bartpe since you can also restore with IFW. IFD is a reliable work horse, but slowwww.....

Pete

12. fce

fce Registered Member

i think it will not solve the problem because i cannot choose drive D to install MS Office. not sure if outlook have a feature to save pst file directly to drive D folder. anyway i'm good with this setup though my outlook is not saving pst file in drive D.

also is imaging apps is necessity? i think rollback rx is enough unless i'm being paranoid that my HDD will crash tomorrow :)

i never experience any HDD crashing problem for almost 4yrs in my old laptop so i think i'm good with rollback rx only.

13. nexstar

You can still install MS Office to the C drive, then run FMU and it will move the data files to the D drive configuring Outlook so it still knows where to find them.
    That's a brave question to ask on a security forum!! :) .
    The choice is yours entirely, but don't say you weren't warned :) .

Graham

14. Peter2150

This is a lesson you can learn one of two ways. Listen to the folks here and get into imaging, or learn the hard way, when any number of things can trash the disk to the point a recovery program won't work.

15. fce

fce Registered Member

alright i'll browse this forum and check this shadowprotect or drive snapshot that will run good with rollback rx.

thanks

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

fce,
    Peter is right, if you don't take care of image backup, you will learn it the hard way.
    I had first image backup and then FDISR and I was lucky that ATI restored all my FDISR-snapshots, otherwise I would have needed another image backup software.
    Softwares like FDISR/RBRx are good for daily problems, but not in worst case scenarios, like harddisk crashes, corrupted FDISR/RBRx, ...
    Since I have my new computer (March 2006) all my problems were caused by installing new softwares, that didn't like my system, not malware or viruses.
    In most cases FDISR saved me and sometimes I needed ATI to restore my system partition completely.

WinVISTA is too new and that's why there are so many problems, I knew this in advance, because I was an early user of win2000pro myself and I had nothing but problems.
    That's why I waited so long with winXPproSP2 and now history repeats itself with winVISTA.

One advice : test your image backup/RESTORE very well, especially with RBRx, before you buy it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  17. fce

fce Registered Member

yes i'm now looking for image backup that will work well with vista/RBx/KIS and with lot of user like here in wilders because i found that i can rely more on wilders member than 2days waiting time from seller tech support.

horizon never sold my problem with fdisr... and RBx already saving me from buggy vista every day, so i guess whatever image back up i'll choose should work first with VISTA/RBX/KIS.

18. Chris12923

ATI 10 works well for what you are in need of doing.

Thanks,

Chris

19. ErikAlbert

Whatever you choose, TEST IT YOURSELF.
    What works on someone's else computer, doesn't mean it will work on YOUR computer.
    If the backup works, doesn't mean that the RESTORE will work.
    A restore has to give you back exactly what you had on your harddisk, when you did the backup, anything else is unacceptable.
    If you had 3 RBRx-snapshots, then the image has to restore 3 RBRx-snapshots as well. :)

20. Chris12923

I agree.
    I agree in a sense.
    Please tell us a program that does this reliably. I for one would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

21. ErikAlbert

I'm a FDISR-user, not a RBRx-user. FDISR has no problem with popular Image Backup softwares, like StorageCraft, Acronis, Paragon, Norton, Terabyte, ... except Microsoft's Backup software, but that didn't surprise me.
    All these softwares restore FDISR-snapshots completely.

Regarding backup/restore of RBRx-snapshots, I've read so many stories, that I still don't know what works or not.
    Sometimes only the baseline snapshot was restored, sometimes the current snapshot only and the rest of the snapshots was gone, which is for me unacceptable.
    Other stories claim that a RAW image is the solution to restore ALL RBRx-snapshots.
    Other stories claim that the restore was complete with this and this backup software.

I call that a BIG MESS of information. So I'm not going to recommend anything, until ALL RBRx-users, clear that confusion once and for all. :D

22. fce

fce Registered Member

i hope chris will give some of his experience if that really happen with RBx+ATI10 combination.

i might try ATI10.

btw, i read ATI10 overview....it works almost the same as RBx?

23. ErikAlbert

Once again, Image backup (ATI10) and Immediate System Recovery (RBRx/FDISR) are NOT the same.
    Having RBRx/FDISR alone is not good.
    Having ATI10 alone is good.
    Having ATI10 + RBRx/FDISR is also good.

24. fce

fce Registered Member

after reading how ATI work, i think i will stay for the moment with Rollback Rx and KIS7 for my computer safeguarding.

i'm a safe computer user and base on my previous experience with my old laptop for more than 3years i really don't get a problem of restoring my whole HDD or getting BSOD problem. I'm good with Rollback Rx for buggy vista OS.

Virus problem, yes i got some scary moment with my old laptop thats why i invest with good anti virus.

thanks guys, i really appreciate your input.

25. Peter2150

You are skating on very thin Ice my friend, as you are counting on a program, that I do like, but would rank low on dependability.

Edited for typo Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.