Rollback rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gergy, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Thank you very much, Chris12923, I did just receive my licence for Rollback RX pro 5 mn ago, with the 50 % promo! :D , thanks to your coupon.

I did see Acadia's post lately, pointing to another coupon offer in a post by BeetleJuice 69 ( Thanks to them to ;) ), but unfortunately this one was dead.

I did install the trial few days ago, this program is really fantastic :eek: , it's a dream for beta-testing. And it does work exactly as promised, every setup changes, from files removed from the snapshot, to rootkit infections, are gone with snapshot switching; 8-10 secs are enough to record one snapshot, and the rollback is just the time of a reboot long. As said Peter2150 somewhere, that's magical...

The kind of program you don't want to remove once you're running the trial... I'm very glad I bought it!! :cool:

Thanks again ;)

nicM

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Sorry but it's late in the day for me - would you please elaborate on that (i.e., HDSClone creating/restoring image files)? ~pv

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Well its 9 hours later here :D but what else is there to sayo_O

4. gerardwil

You also can download a pdf file how HDSClone works.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Your welcome, and a VERY SPECIAL thanks to Christ for getting HDS to "renew" the Wilder's offer ... maybe come April 1st someone else can contact HDS to continue the offer (I still have no plans on installing RBRX).

Acadia

6. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Cheers, Acadia ;) . In fact, I was looking at the HDS site yesterday, in the "specials" page, there are several offers, current one is 15 %, and you can get 25 % too.

But at 15 %, I would have waited before to buy, at 50 % I did buy in a second! :D

The only problem is the True Image incompatibility for me, but I'll just use TI to make an image one time, to put it on Cds; Rollback will be used for every-days work, so that's finally no a problem in my situation.

7. pvsurfer

I will d/l the user-guide as soon as I can, but I gather from you are telling me that HDSClone is not just a cloning program (as its name suggests), but also an image backup/restore program. Do I have that right? :doubt:

8. gerardwil

yep :)

9. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Thanks from me also, When my trial expired yesterday, I tried the older coupon, only to discover it had expired. As soon as I saw the latest, I jumped on the 50% offer!

Rob

10. pvsurfer

Oustanding! Is it capable of burning an image onto DVDs (spanning if necessary)? :doubt:

PS. Why are you up so late? - while it's only 4pm here in California, I got up at 5am to get to work on time.

11. gerardwil

You will need a seperate burning package then. A free one: Deepburner free (new release march 24 !)

PS I had a little siesta ;)

12. pvsurfer

Ok then, my 'shift' is now over, so I can make the long drive home and think about loading RBRxPro onto my laptop when I get there! :p

Cheers & thanks, pv

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@PV
    What happened with Drive Snapshot and the failed restore?

@Geradwil
    Have you used The HDS clone app?: you are sounding a bit happy about it.
    The first time I checked the web site there seemed little to recommend it above IFW or others.

?Compared to the other imaging/back up apps there is a paucity of information about how it works and it seems to skate over some issues of great complexity and seriousness addressed by the other imaging apps.

The web site doesn't provide manuals
    OOoops: Yes it does with the free dl: :oops: : will read soon

Is there something you know and aren't telling. :)
    If it really duplicates the "magic" file manipulation tell us.

For your interest here is a link to some videos of Terabyte at work:
    www.terabyteunlimited.com/examples.html

BootIt NG requires control of the MBR: not sure what this means but may have some implications for RBack. :doubt:

LBD

ps why are we all up so late LOL.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hhhmmm,
    Not that I'm the discriminator of choice but the manual is a graphical representation of the screenies from the web site. The app seems a bit underdone.

No techie stuff, and from the manual ' You will then be prompted to select the target drive to save the image file to. The target drive can be a different partition on the source disk or a partition on another local disk or a mapped drive of a network share. The target drive on the local machine needs to be in FAT16 or FAT32 format.

Seems to have no real info about overwriting, partition sizing, boot setup after restore. Parttioning of new drive for image/disc recovery etc.. (learnt a bit by now thanks to you guys)

?Idiot proof.
    ?Early devt
    ?usb support.

Any thoughts? would be good if it was a safe option with R"back.

Any body used it?

LOL: 1st complain about too much tech stuff, now complaining about too little

Roll on the Roll back forum.

LBD

15. pvsurfer

LBD:

As mentioned previously, I've suffered two disk crashes over the years. The first time was due to an earthquake (in the mid 90's) - my drive was history. At the time I was using a simple backup product to backup my data files, but as it had no disaster-recovery provisions, I was SOL.

That experience taught me a valuable lesson, so I started evaluating and using 'stronger' backup products - Ghost, Retrospect, TrueImage and DriveSnapshot.

My second crash happened in 2004 because of a defective drive (the infamous IBM 'Deathstar'). At the time I was backing up with both TI and DriveSnapshot. After replacing the drive, I first attempted to restore my DS image. I found DS' Restore function to be very confusing to say the least. Nevertheless, I believed I was operating it correctly, but it wouldn't restore the image! On the other hand, TI came through for me without a hitch (just loads of anxiety). :gack:

I've used TI ever since, but now that I'm becoming a RBRx user, I'll probably replace TI with HDSClone (as the latter is more compatible with RBRx than TI).

Hth, pv

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  16. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thought this might help someone if HDS support is accurate on this. I am using RBRx to protect only my C drive on a multi partition not multiboot HDD. I only use the RBRx defragger to defrag my C drive as Pete suggested before taking or deleting snapshots. And, I use PerfectDisk to defrag the non-protected drives. I also use Image for Windows to image all drives. Support says that the RBRx defragger will not bother the non-system drives in this setup.

Just thought I would report this for any use anyone may have of the info.

Gary

17. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

You all are welcome for getting the offer extended.

This will be the last 50% off coupon that will be offered.

Thanks,

Chris

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

:eek: Umm... I guess you meant "Chris." In which case, I add my thanks as well.

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

LOL! Correct. :blink:

Acadia

20. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I use TI v8 build 837 it all seems fine until I start the imaging process and then it sits at zero. If I try an image the whole disk it will image all of the parttion except the RB protected one.

I have a common enough partition setup (but multi boot so First defense not applicable otherwise I would have used this)

C = second o/s xp
    D= Data
    E= current primary O/s

Oh yeh I don't use the o/s on C - I've been considering wiping but this box is setup as a media server pc with Meedio and Media portal so lots of config to redo

If I remove RB everything is fine - tech support are thinking about this at the moment. I want to wait for TI 9.1 rather than v9.

At the moment Drive snapshot looks like a good option

HDSclone is of little use to me - SATA drives - backup to the network and no FAT partitions available ;)

21. Atanar

Atanar Registered Member

So thought Rollback would be a great program. Purchased it and did several successful tests and one necessary and successful rollback. All the while I was using the single reference base. After a month I decided to update this base file. This properly led to a reboot and from the MBR it proceeded to reimage the 2 partitions. At 87% it froze with constant error codes "100" with the sector listed. There were hundreds of sectors and each one had to be acted upon independently via retry or cancel button. Waited a long time and finally restarted the computer... Disaster. Disk boot failure. No recovery option. Result: Re-formated the hard disk. Fortunately I had a one-day old backup on DVD - but did lose a day's work. When I initiated the Rollback procedure there was plenty of free space - 21.3 GB on each 80 GB partition of a 160 GB IDE drive. The drive is fine and is working well now with no bad sectors. I don't see a positive answer to this situation for Rollback - if it was my fault, the program may be too sensitive. If it was Rollback's problem, they missed something important. I bought this to be my disaster recover program but it seems to have caused one of the biggest computer disasters one can have!

22. pvsurfer

Atanar~ Sorry to hear this! I have a couple of question...

1. Which program did you use for your backup (that ultimately restored your drive)? Just wondering if you had an MBR conflict.

2. Have you brought this incident to the attention of RBRx Tech Support? If so, what was their response?

~pv

23. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I'm understanding this as you updated your Rollback Rx baseline. Is this correct? I just tried this on my SATA RAID 0 without problems. Sorry to hear that you had issues. Please report it to HDS support as someone already asked about.

Thanks,

Chris

24. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Sorry to here you had such a major problem - I've had no problems with this aspect on a SATA based system so far

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Atanar

I also would be curious what support said. I never had any problems with Rollback. Not using SATA drives though.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.