Rollback rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gergy, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well somewhere, somehow you ended up with a disk problem, that may need chkdsk to fix. You can keep going and see what happens, but if you keep seeing this error on reboot, it probably will eventually run chkdsk. Beware if in System settings you don't have only take snapshot with a consistent system, you may have some bad stuff in the snapshot you have taken. I ran into that, cause I didn't have that setting in place after a reinstall.

Pete

2. Peter2150

Hi Dave

1) I just checked my snapshots and they are local time. If you can't resolve it call Horizon, they will help you.

2) You are right about restore points only being available at snapshot points. For me that would be way to many snapshots and I'd be lost. I use Rollback to protect my system, and another program AJC Active Backup(http://www.ajcsoft.com/index.php) to protect my data. It automatically makes an archive copy of files you specify everytime you save them. It has saved me on countless occasions. Works in total harmony with Rollback.

Pete

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I had this original query which was added to their FAQ;
    Are you on dial-up?

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Re: Rollback rx- problem report.

I have the latest version of Rollback Rx pro.
    Setup:
    I have one baseline. From that baseline I have made two children snapshot A and B.
    A is the snapshot I use daily. Usually I have 4-5 children snapshots in A
    B snapshot I use for gaming where I stripped down my config for maximum compability with games. It also has 4-5 children snapshots.

Problem occuring yesterday:

I booted from my A snapshot to my B as usual, I have done it numerous times. During the reboot all of a sudden my computer tells me that HAL.DLL is missing and I should reinstall it from Windows XP CD.
    Same thing with all the snapshots belonging to B.

I booted up the baseline, Browsed the B snapshots (with Rollback browser) I checked the system32 folder and found that most of the files that belongs to system32 folder in a normal system was missing!?

I browsed the A snapshots but the system32 folder had all the files there.

Somehow my B line of snapshots got corrupted, or rather Rollback Rx´s snapshot index.
    There where no way to restore them. I tried defragging and optimize but it didnt help.
    I usually use only one of B´s snapshots, the other are there mostly because I have not erased them. I have booted to the gaming snapshot numerous of times before without problems. I have not done anything (installed any software, drivers and so on) into the snapshot before this reboot, this problem came right out of the blue...

I have reported this to Horizon. Hopefully they will get back to me.
    This could be (usuall is;) ) something in my system that caused this, since no one else had this problem. But I dont know what, because I have used this setup for over two months and it has been running without any problems. I thank myself for having an Firstdefence ISR archive with my gaming setup :) so for the time beeing until I get some clue of what has happend, I´ll stick to FDISR. I said this in my first (very positive) reviews of Rollback Rx; that FDSIR feels a bit more robust. This problem sort of "proves" it to me. But I am sure, if this is a problem that happens to more people than me, Horizon will fix it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

But that's just the point. Aren't all of these type of Instant Recovery programs supposed to save us from "things that get onto our system". If a person's system was working at one time with one of these programs installed, no matter what happens, unless it is something messing with the Master Boot Record, these programs should be able to return us to the state where "once upon a time" everything was working; at least that's the theory behind these thingies.

Acadia

6. sukarof

Very true Acadia. Fortunally my A-line of snapshot didnt get corrupted and the fact that this was only a gaming setup which, with a lot of reinstalling, is fixed. I am glad it wasnt any important snapshots. But then again if I would have had any important documents Rollback has this wonderful browsing feature where one can save the documents from crashed snapshots. unless all of Rollback indexes gets corrupted so you cant boot into any snapshots at all :)

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

You can find more info on the Bart PE here. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I dont think that the Drive Snapshot will restore to a full Rollback enabled image. But I will allow starfish to verify.

Thanks,

Chris

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

This has got to be karma... I had the exact same problem as sukarof reported yesterday! During the 3 weeks that I've been running Rollback Rx Pro every snapshot restore worked flawlessly - that is until yesterday...

For whatever reason, during a bootup at mid-day, I received the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll" :eek:

So thinking that some other RollBack snapshot would save my bacon, I selected one from earlier in the day (created when my system was stable). However my system would not bootup successfully to that snapshot! Trying several other snapshots resulted in the very same result... Thankfully, I found a 4-day old snapshot that worked.

While Rollback's FAQs say there should be no problem running PerfectDisk with RollBack, that's the only potential cause that I can think of for my problem. The last thing I did before I experienced the problem was a defrag of my drive with PerfectDisk, also setting it to do a 'boot-time defrag' on the subsequent startup.

However, even if the boot-time defrag messed up my current snapshot, why would it have messed up several previous snapshots? o_O

Btw, I too reported this to HDS Tech Support.

~pv

9. Peter2150

Hi Sukarof

One thing is be sure you've gone to system settings and checked the only take snapshots when the system is at a consistent state.

Yesterday I had two programs conflict trashing a third of all things. I didn't realize that it had also left a few crosslinked files. I also didn't realize from my latest install I had missed that setting. As a result I took three snapshot, that all had various and asundry different problems. Then I started getting one of the error's mentioned earlier in this thread and finally windows took matters into it's own hands and ran chkdsk. The bad snapshots were still bad, so I just uninstalled all the software at issue, and started with a clean snapshot, and reinstalled all but the culprit. All is back well.

BTW Acadia, I had a similiar experience with FDISR where I refreshed a snapshot before realizing my disk had consistency problems. It obediently transfered the errors into the other snapshot. Actually took three runs of Chkdsk to clean that up. Point is even FDISR isn't immune from stuff like this.

Pete

10. Chris12923

How many snapshots did you guys have when the problem occured?

EDIT: Meant for PV and Sukarof

Thanks,

Chris

11. pvsurfer

Pete~ As fate would have it, you can read my tale of woe above and see that I suffered the same problem as sukarof... I do have my Rollback settings checked to only take snapshots when the system is at a consistent state, so that isn't the answer to this problem. ~pv

12. pvsurfer

Chris~ I had less than 2 dozen snapshots at the time. ~pv

13. Chris12923

Close to 20 maybe?

At 19 snapshots I chose what Pete said and checked the box to only have snapshots taken at consistant state. The next reboot when defragging I received the checkdisk screen. This would be on the 20th snapshot. Seems weird you had about 20 I have about 20 and the problem occured. Maybe this is related? Anyone have over 24 snapshots?

Thanks,

Chris

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oh, I know that FD can have MBR problems, but with that exception, an old FD Snapshot has always been able to save me from everything, no matter what else is missing or corrupted.

Acadia

15. pvsurfer

Yes, that's about the number I had, but as I related to Pete my snapshots have been set to be created only when system is in a 'consistent state', so that's not the issue we are dealing with here. At this point, I strongly suspect PerfectDisk's boot-time defrag.

~pv

16. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi PV,

There is some option under program setting/advanced option (in Rollback Rx) to make a defrag at reboot after a certain number of snapshot deleted or created maybe you should check if those box are not thick... That might conflict with PerfectDisk boot-time defrag!

Best regards,
    Atomas31

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I thought Rollback has its own defragger, why do you still need PerfectDisk ?

18. pvsurfer

Anything is possible, but either something (such as PerfectDisk) is conflicting with Rollback or Rollback has a serious bug! :doubt:

19. pvsurfer

I just felt that overall system performance within my current (active) snapshot was better after a PD defrag. Besides, I don't think Rollback's defragger defrags the system/paging files (which a PD boot-time defrag does)... :doubt:

~pv

20. sukarof

I had a total of 9 or 10 snapshots.

Uuh..I belive I had it checked. I remember reading something about the "consistent state" a while ago so I belive I checked it after that, but I am not sure.

I do have perfect disc but it has never defragged the drives rollback was taking care of.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Where is this setting? I can,t find it.

22. pvsurfer

Settings (pull-down menu)>System Settings. ;)

23. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Hello everyone, I was reading the post at work and felt alittle releaved that I was not the only one who had this happen to them. Yesterday I get home boot up the pc it looks like everything is normal. Icons in the taskbar slowly appear I move my mouse over them and nothing. I go over the start button and nothing, system froze up. Next step cold shutdown, system comes up but checkdisk comes up and does its thing I remember one of the lines ready something about a dirty disk and that point I'm like $*@!:mad: . After everything is finished windows comes and its like nothing every happened. I would really like to find out what went wrong and did Aliens take over our comps yesterday!

Thanks,

Ptah

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I myself experienced an increase from 30 seconds to about 80 seconds when I trialled RB. I mean at the point where the Windows logo appears on the black background - it remained at that point about 50 seconds longer.

No biggie if you're prepared to wait, but if you're restoring to an earlier snapshot, you'd want the boot process to be about the same as before.

25. pvsurfer

I don't know about aliens, but I think it would be a good idea for sukarof, you, myself and anyone else experiencing similar events to compare notes as to what other utilities we may have run around that time. I'll start... I already mentioned running PerfectDisk right before the incident. Somewhat earlier, I did a junk-file and registry cleanup using A1 Click Ultra Cleaner and RegVac, respectively, followed by an Ewido malware scan...

From my point of view, this is a very serious problem... And as I suggested before, as far as I'm concerned, it's due to one of two factors... a software conflict or a Rollback bug! :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.