Rollback rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gergy, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just a quick note on uninstalls and installs. I use my license key, and I haven't had any issues with resetting the key.

Pete

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

As far as it keeping the old data you should contact support and see what they say. Seems strange.

Thanks,

Chris

3. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Not good!! this evening I had to go back to my first snapshot just before installing a big windows update. The pc was freezing up so I could not do anything. I do not know what the cause of it was maybe windows update, or a few program removals like Online armor, clamwin and the update 1.1 for seamonkey. If freeze ups continue to happen I will be forced to remove rollback because it will be the last program installed thus the problem. I really like it but I can not have complete freeze ups and constantly cold shut downs.

I have rollback set to take snapshots at each startup I am not sure If this is a good idea because before I had to go back to the first snapshot there were a total of 17 shots. Does anyone have a economical and secure way to make sure you have the proper amount of snaps taken. Should I in good practice only remove programs in safe mode?

Thanks,

Ptah

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  4. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Uninstalled OA and will wait later on in the day to install windows update. Has anyone else had and freeze ups lately? I am trying to recreate what is causing the problem doing everything again but a little slower. I will report back some time today.

Happy Easter and Pass over

thanks,

Ptah

5. Chris12923

from what I know about Rollback it should not cause you any slowdowns or freezing. It works in a way that this should be unlikely. Although maybe another program you have conflicts with it? Not sure what that might be if anything. How is your disk space?

Happy Easter to you too!

Thanks,

Chris

6. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Hello Chris, I have a 129gb out of 149 so there is enough.

thanks,

Ptah

PS. OA is gone with no problems but I have not done the windows update yet. Do you have any thoughts on before boot take a snapshot option?

7. Chris12923

If you are concerned about the number of snapshots I would lock my good snapshots that I took manually and then tick the box that says 'Delete unlocked restart snapshots when [enter number here] days old'. This would be my first option i think.

Thanks,

Chris

8. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Hi,
    Today I install trial of Rollback. Everything was OK but windows boot time increased dramatically. Is this a known issue of Rollback?

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Bootup delay due to Rollback is usually minimal; just the time it takes to 'inject' itself into the process to allow you to click on Home should you want to do a recovery. Depending on your Rollback settings, it could also be taking a snapshot at bootup. Finally, after quite a few snapshots accumulate, it may also do an automatic defrag at that time.

Stick with it, it's worth every extra second it takes!

~pv

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, I have sent an e-mail o them and i am waiting for the reply.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Ptah!

Snapshot at each start up is too much. I wonder why u need it? It,s over-killing as I don,t find any good reason for it. Imagine once u have no Rollback and even then u were able to manage ur system.

Schedule for weekly snapshot and also tick the option for delete unlocked snapshots 30 days old( u can change this duration accordingly). This way you will never have too much snapshots. Take manual snapshots before major system changes like new sofware install but leave them unlocked so they will also go to trash automatically after 1 month.

I do like this. Weekly snapshots are unlocked so at one time I will never have more than 4 snapshots( except those taken maually).

However I have put defragmentation of snapshots after taking/ deleting 4 snapshots and taking one scheduled snapshot before defragmentation.

I have '"auto-updates and install' for windows enabled and don,t take any snapshot before that, and never had any problem.

12. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Thanks Aigle, I forgot about changing the settings for windows update. I just set it to check once a week on sunday at 11 am and set rollback to take a snap shot at 12 noon. So in the end I will end up w/ 4 scheduled shots, pre-installs or removals and any windows updates. Then to top off the tank after thirty days remove all unlock snapshots or update the baseline depending on what has changed in that month.
    That should keep the system updated and limit the amount of snaps at the end month.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I usually keep scheduled snapshots unlocked so taht they will be deleted.
    Manual snapshots which are important, I take them as locked. Unimportant temporary snapshot I take unlocked, so all the mess clears on its own. I name all snapshots in a way that they will explain why i took this snapshot. Also I write some more detail in the description of snapshot.
    Too many snapshot just make me feel unwell.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

What he said... me, too.

I take a scheduled snapshot weekly, plus a *special snapshot* whenever I'm going to install/test a new software. This latter habit has saved my nethermost region several times.

15. Peter2150

I tend to go with the manual approach. If I've been working a while, and realize I'd prefer not to lose anything I take a snapahot. Also prior to installing anything. I try to main between four and 5 snapshots, so after I've added 2 or 3 I cut some back. Only automated snap I take is on a restore.

Pete

16. rollers

rollers Registered Member

well, I finally got round to getting a new hard drive, so thought I would test the newest version of acronis 9 which is supposed to copy the mbr. I thought, nice simple image with rollback rx on................oh boy was I wrong, the computer just refused to boot afterwards and after much hastle and reformatting I ended up installing windows from scratch again. Several hours later I have a fine running system with no acronis, just rollback rx. I am now looking forward to when they release their newer version with the ability to save snapshots elsewhere.

I hope this post helps someone save several hours trying.

Rollers

17. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have acronis corp with universal restore - I cannot get it to even image my system with RB RX installed. I found that Drive snapshot trial is quick and faultless with RB RX

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Did u do a restore with Drive snapshot?

19. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Drive snapshot Yes and it seems fine - from Bartpe plugin - trial soon expires

True image 8 and 9 and 9.1 seem to be a nightmare for me at least they just don't work with RB

20. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@starfish001

Do I understand correctly:

The question:
    Your reply
    Could you elaborate a bit please:
    You did a restore with Drive Snapshot while Rollback was installed with some stored snapshots and you had full access to RBack and the snapshots?

What do you mean "from BartPE"
    What trial expires soon?

Was this a straight out image restore with DS or a reinstall of a drive copy or something else?

Thanks
    LBD

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi,

I have got a strange message during boot up of my Notebook. It was probably during boot up of RollbackRx and I think it is from Rollback Rx.

This morning when I started my PC, even before appearance of set up options and dotted animated bar of XP, I got this message,

Error 1-2, flag 21D003. Click on Cancel to not show this message next time.

I clicked OK multiple times but no effect. Then I shut off power supply and restarted my PC, again same message came and I opted for Cancel. After that PC started normally.

I suspected something with defragmentation of snapshots, so I did a manual defrag of snapshots and that was OK.

Last time I booted my PC. It was yesterday night. At that time I did not get any error like this and also I did not change any settings of OS during this period, except for reinstall of Yahoo widget engine( this program was already running on my PC).

I checked the log of Rollback and you can see it. I have highlighted the concerned log.

Attached Files:

22. Peter2150

Hi Aigle

I just went thru that one myself. Make sure you have the only take snapshot while your disk is in a consistent state or you make be taking bad snapshot. While I was trying to remember the discussion about chkdsk, I did a third reboot, and she ran chkdsk on her own. That answered that.

Pete

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But it happened with me during normal boot up. No install/ uninstall-triggered boot up.

24. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Hi Starfish,

I too ask if you would be able to elaborate whether drive snapshot works 100% and puts all rollback snapshots on too?
    Could you elaborate on the bart program as I have never used it before. What does it do and what do you need to do to get it to work?

Thanks

25. Dave in Phoenix

Dave in Phoenix Registered Member

Newbie here... 2 questions:

1) Am I totally missing something - all times on the snapshots are GMT and seraching help, their knowlege base and here don't find any way of changing to local time. Can you? The file times of course are correct just the snapshot times are GMT

2) I do hourly snapshops and save for 2 weeks. This just saved my butt when a word doc file somehow got corrupted and I was able to find the most recent uncorrupted version. But it was mentioned here you don't need backups that often something about a virtual something I didn't understand. I assume restore points are only available at the snapshot times. Therefore I assume I am safer with hourly snapshots. I note it doesn't take them if there is no activity like when I and computer sleep, just when it detects changes.

Thanks
    Dave in Phoenix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.