Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by xristos86, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I screwed up.:oops:

Attached Files:

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Tony, only having fun, that's all! :D

Acadia

3. Peter2150

When you turn off the computer and then back on again yes you are still in the same snapshot.

Also you don't need to use the synch if you don't want to. When you do a restore RBX automatically (if the switch is on) creates a snapshot of where ever you were.

In the case of your word doc creating test2 from test would be the prudent move if you want to move back and forth.

It's easier to do this if you forgot the FD concept of working in a snapshot ie a separate computer, and just think of the snapshot as a moment in time, that you can restore to.

If that doesn't make sense I'll take another shot at an example.

Pete

PS. The more I use this program, the more I like it.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think what I was trying to ask was would the edited or newly created files, like Word docs, remain in the 'test' snapshot even if you didn't create another snapshot from it? That's why I was asking about restoring to baseline and the possibility of then restoring back to 'test' at a later time.

And Acadia, it's Ok! :)

5. Peter2150

Hi Tony

No it wouldn't as test represents a time before you created the word document. If you were working "in test" then before restoring you would want to create a new snapshot test2. That would contain your word doc, and then you could go back and forth.

Also I think the baseline snapshot may(or may not) have some special significance. Just to be safe when I either install or update the baseline, I immediately create 2 snapshots. One for fall back and one to work in.

Pete

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, so does anyone know, if a virus or Trojan invades the Snapshot that you are working in, how is it kept from spreading to the rest of your computer; FirstDefense uses those low level protected folders, how does RollBack do it?

Acadia

7. Peter2150

I suspect that if a virus say infects a system file, it changes it and the new file has sectors mapped differently, so when you restore you end up using the file composed of non infected sectors.

My hunch is this system might be even harder to compromise then FDISR's. Look what it has taken for us to figure it out.:D

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

For information: Rollback will install and run under Windows 64, they have not tested it with Vista yet but they will make it run under Vista when it is released. Great news.
    I just had a "Live chat" with them (great feature btw) about some minor problem I had.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes this live chat feature is really superb. Another reason to consider this great program :thumb:

10. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I second that! As good as - or better than - the live chat support I have used on several other sites.

Rob

11. sukarof

I find it very hard to find any documentation about "custom setup"
    That is what is refered to in the FAQ regarding multiple OS and Rollback.
    I´m thinking about installing Windows 64 and would like to know if it is possible to install
    it once Rollback is already installed...

12. Peter2150

Not sure about that one. You might try the live chat(Ugh on time difference). My hunch(read guess) is that you might be safer uninstalling Rollback and installing windows 64. I guess it depends on how you are currently setup.

Pete

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've taken a quick look at this program, and tested it. In the main, it is very effective and quick in creating snapshots and restoring to earlier ones. You do need to take a snapshot if you want work saving or synch the documents on next restore. You can set it so the program creates a new snapshot upon restore so newer files can be recovered from that new snapshot.

However, there are a number of points that stop me from even thinking of using this software:

(Please bear in mind this is related to my system, and may not apply to others. FYI, I'm using Windows XP Home SP2 with 256MB RAM, 1.7GHz.)

1. Boot up - either restart, restore or from cold - takes longer than previously. The Windows logo on the black background stays there for at least 50-55 seconds longer taking it to 80 seconds sometimes.

2. The RollbackTray icon doesn't always appear in the systray. This is a known issue, and is related to the AV installed. It's mentioned in their knowledge base, and their solution? Start the RollbackTray manually from Start/Programs. This isn't good for something that should start up automatically every time Windows starts.

3. A minor cosmetic thing: the dates are in US format. I would have preferred to have seen them in European format seeing as I'm in the UK, but this is no biggie really.

14. sukarof

As you said it is propably something in your setup. My reboots are normal, well the Rollback pre boot screen of course adds a 5-10 seconds or so of course plus a little bit more when it does its defrag and optimizing thing on reboot..

Ah..I´ve missed that it was a known issue in the FAQ, thanks for the info. I got a bit worried about that. It doesnt happend too often in my system though, maybe 1 in 20 reboots or so.

I agree. There are other things in the GUI that could be changed, like I would rather have the tree view when choosing "Restore system" for example.

15. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I so far I haven`t had any of the above problems, including the icon not showing...I did say, "so far". :) And yes the GUI could use a bit of work but over all I really like this program.

16. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I also have no problem with the Rollbacktray icon not showing. And the time more it take for my system to boot is only a few seconds more...

17. Peter2150

Same here. None of the above issues.

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I did say it was pertinent to my system, and possibly not affected in others.

There were times the systray icon did show, but it was probably at a ratio of 3:2 i.e. 3 times showing, twice not. But others have had this problem, and may be dependent on which AV they're using.

Just for reference, from their knowledge base under the heading 'Rollback Rx system tray icon fails to load after restart':

19. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Tonyw,

What is your antivirus?

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm using Kaspersky.

21. sukarof

fyi. I´ve had this thing with tray icon not showing a few times too. Not as many as Tonyw but it has happend, I use NOD32.

22. Peter2150

I am using the KAV 6.0 beta's and yes I think it has happened once. Not really an issue though for me.

23. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi All,

Sorry if I missed the info but could you tell me if Rollback can protect some partitions on a given disk, but not all. I have a "System" Partition where XP stays and a "Data" partition. I would like to have just the "System" Partition protected and not the Data one.

Thanks.

.merle1.

24. Peter2150

Hi Merleone

I think the answer is yes, but not positive. A close read of Rollbacks knowledge base might give you the answer.

My only question is why not protect the whole disk?

Pete

25. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Yes - when first installing Rollback, there is one screen where you can select the partitions to monitor. I also have a partition for programs, a scratch partition which I don't monitor, a data partition. I do agree with Peter that there is no real reason not to monitor all of them though. I was just experimenting.

Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.