Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by xristos86, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, keep us informed, especially if you can boot back and forth between different snapshots, as you can with FD; I would be most interested, thank you.

Acadia

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

In Rx you can take as many snaps as you want and go back and forth between them. If you install something you can lock the snap and it`ll stay there for as long as you want. Once you unlock the snap you can delete it or wait till Rx does a clean up. It`ll defrag all the snaps or selected snaps whatever you want. I`m sure no expert in this...yet :) but Rx does more then meet my needs. Plus I still have FDISR to play with.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

BJ69, let’s see if I understand this correctly. Let’s say that I am using my pc and decide I want to test a new anti-virus, so I make a snapshot of my current system before I start playing around in order to make sure that everything in my main or good configuration is saved.

Then I uninstall my current AV and install the test AV, then make another snapshot, this time of my new configuration.

Then I boot back to my original configuration and continue to surf around, and also continue to update my original AV and other security programs and work on some Word docs.

Then I boot back into my test configuration and play around with the trial AV.

Then I eventually boot back once again to my main configuration: will all of my security updates, Word docs, and other changes still be there, or will I have needed to "update" or "retake" my original snapshot to save them? Thank you.

Acadia

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well I had a thrill this morning, not sure exactly what happened. Remember at this point I just have Rx Standard, so one snapshot.

Wanted to test an interaction between KAV Beta and SNS so I had SNS do an update, which of course required a reboot. But before rebooting, I went and turned on KAV's File antivirus. (may not have been smart doing it at once.) Then rebooted. System hung at the Windows is starting screen. Not good, but hey that's what these programs are made for. So......

Pressed power button and when appropriate the home button. RollbackRx immediately started a count down calling it I believe "revision". I thought interesting no menu but hey it's fixing it. Nope got to the same place in the boot process and hung again. Tried again and same result. So I am thinking maybe it fixed it and I just need to reboot so I did. Without touching the Home key Rollback RX did the same thing with the same result. Now I am thinking Uh OH!!! So...

Rebooted and got into safe mode. Couldn't do anything with Rollback so I fired up KAV and turned off the File Antivirus, and rebooted. Hit the home key again and this time got the console, selected restore, and voila, everything was fine.

Hmmm. A call to Rollback is more so in order.

Being adventureous, I will probably install the pro version this morning, and play while trying to figure out what is happening with FDISR.

Pete

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, interesting Peter, one thing to remember, and this is NOT to knock Rollback which may be an excellent program, but FD has been around for a couple of years, while Rollback is brand new ... maybe some bugs to be worked out?:doubt:

Acadia

6. Peter2150

True, although I may have some issue here also. Also who know's if KAV had something to do with that? If I can get ahold of the Rollback folks, I'll ask them. I may try and duplicate that later.

Irony right now is Rollback is working, and I can't FD to do so.:mad:

7. beetlejuice69

In a word yes. You have a tree of your drive ie program files, system. etc you can put which ever folders in so that changes will be saved. Whatever changes that are made will stay in your current snapshot. Like Nod updated this morning and that`ll be saved in my current snap.

There was a update to Rx just a few days ago that killed a couple of bugs it had. Like was said it`s a new program and still needs a lot of testing but over all it`s great.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

BJ69, I hope that I can explain this correctly. Ok, I also use NOD. When I update NOD in my Primary snapshot (using FirstDefense), I never need to update or “save” that Primary snapshot, every change that I make is kept without my having to do any extras steps. Is Rollback the same way, that is, whatever changes you make in ANY snapshot are kept without having to take the step of “saving” it?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid, but even the Rollback website states, once or twice, either in the faq or Knowledgebase, that this is a complicated program. Complicated, but VERY intriguing!

Acadia

9. beetlejuice69

Well Acadia that I`m not completely sure about. In Rx it`s baseline (primary) can be updated so I would say yes, but that I haven`t tried yet. I`m sure if Peter gets playing with it he`ll try that to see, if not I`ll let you know once I give it a try. I`m fairly new at this myself so... :)

10. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Acadia,

Here's the answer I received from Rollback Rx in regard of those interrogations of yours :

" Rollback gives you upto "60,000" different C: drives".
    Each snapshot that you take with Rollback can be viewed as a First Defense
    configuration, it can have different applications, different network
    settings,system settings and etc....

You just restore system to a selected snapshot, that will switch the system to that snapshot."

Hope it answers your question,

Atomas31

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yup, Atomas, it does, thank you much. I am working on my comparison now, hope to post it in the other thread soon.

Acadia

12. Peter2150

Note for accuracy: RollbackRx Standard: 1 snapshot
    Rollback Rx Pro 30000 Snapshots
    Rollback Rx Enterp 60000 snapshots.

Pete

13. Peter2150

I now have Rollback Rx Pro on my system. While it provides the same functionality as FD-ISR, it is different. Once you understand the difference it is also faster. Once I figure out what broke FD-ISR, I may then face a real dilemma, as I am coming to like this critter. Will be putting it to the test laster.

One key point. Raxco's support has been for me superb. When I tried calling shadowstor I never got a response. I called the Rollback folks today, got to talk to a tech support person, and got some fairly good info.

Pete

14. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

What kind of info does the Rollback folks give you :)

One thing I can tell about there support is that it is very effective when you email them.

Atomas31

15. Peter2150

Hi Atomas31

Just answers to confirm I understood what I'd read. Main thing is I was able to reach them on the phone, and they were quite helpful.

Pete

16. beetlejuice69

Hi guys I just emailed Rx as to what they plan to do about forums support, when and where. I`ll let anyone know (that`s interested) once I receive word.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Definitely interested, even though I have no plans on obtaining the program, at least not yet. ;)

Acadia

18. beetlejuice69

Well I got an email back with some info and some good news for the folks that want it. Here`s a part of my email from the fine people of Rx.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, In fact we are going to have our own forum which should be live by the end of this month. The forum will be hosted on our own horizondatasys.com website.

Thank you for your continued support and interest in our RollBack Rx product. Here is a coupon for you and your friends that like our RollBack Rx Product:
    Coupon: DLDREVIEW10170

The above coupon will save you 50% of the listed price on our website. Simply cut the above coupon code and enter it into the shopping cart when you or your friends want to purchase the product.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you guys.

Best regards,
    Lyle Patel

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

BJ69, thank you VERY MUCH, don't know if I will get RB and therefore use the coupon, but I'm sure that others will. Thanks for doing many a favor. $$$

Acadia

20. beetlejuice69

You`re more than welcome. Hope a few can use the discount if they`re planning to buy, it can come in handy.

21. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Big thanks to beeteljuice69 for the coupon! I sure will try this program.
    I am gonna uninstall Firsdefence and then install Rollback. I recon there will be no problems leaving Firstdefence snapshots on the c drive? Or could it be a problem? I can always archive them to another drive, but I thought if I can save me from some work..... :)

22. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Been trialing Rollback RX the past couple of days after reading this thread.
    Already it has saved me alot of headaches today when my computer unexpectedly rebooted while running another utility. Just selected the desired snapshot and resumed my activity. It's just what I want & plan to use the discount shortly.

Rob

23. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

This may be of interest to some, its not a comment on the quality of the product this is merely an observation on marketing practices

Have a look at http://www.horizondatasys.com/piece.html?piece=specials_home_users
    And just underneath that there was a 25% discount being offered for testimonials

24. mango

mango Registered Member

Dont want to call it a"bribe",

("Something serving to influence or persuade")

As you see their "insentive" started "Start date: February 6th, 2006"

And in an 24 hour period or so, they have now four "5 star" reviews.

Also, it is only the rollback product linked in that "insentive" that has reviews, the other ones havent a single one.

Oh, and yes the product was added at download.com 12/14/2005, but the reviews only came in after the "insentive".

Yes, they dont say that the reviews have to be positive..but then again negative users wont buy it.

ive been looking into this software, after testing several options before my next complete install and setup.

But it doesnt give me any chance to test it, because the first 20 only get an 50% discount.

So either test it, and look at user reviews constantly, or just post a good review and buy it at 50% off.

strange business ethics for a company selling this kind of software

25. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

mango,
    I'm not so sure that you are limited by the review clause and the limitation of 20 users because beetlejuice69 has classed all of his fellow Wilders members as his friends (not an unreasonable thing to do either)

If they are offering incentives like these it is likely that they are wanting to build their user base in the home market and get the word out and reducing a relatively small number of sales by 50% is cheap to get some good word of mouth advertising

Peter2150 described the product compared to FD in this thread if you hadn't seen it already, that may help a little with your evaluation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.