Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by xristos86, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xristos86

xristos86 Registered Member

I have found Rollback Rx as a program to "rewind" the hard disc drive to its previous condition and I intend to buy it if it is good.Does anyone know if it 's good or if there are any problems?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I have never used it and don't know much about it, but a couple of folks around here use it and they like it. Perhaps they have a manual or user guide that you can first download to study, might give you some ideas. Good luck.

Acadia

3. xristos86

Thanx!Any other information,anyone?

4. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oh yeah, thanks, RobZee, that thread has a couple of posts by me, I remember now. I did download the manual and read it, and found it very interesting. So there is indeed a manual that you potential buyers can download to study, to see if it might be something that you would like.

Acadia

6. xristos86

Thank you very much!Very helpful indeed!

7. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

8. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Hi xristos86,
    I use Rollback to my entire satisfaction. It is no ressouce hog, takes little space on my drive and does not impair system performance at all. If i may give you some advice, choose the pro version because it has more options and can store lots of snapshots.
    A happy user.
    Cheers, Herve
    PS: A new build (7.2.01) has just been released.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Rollback has a very interesting faq on their site:
    http://www.rollbacksoftware.com/kb/categories/RollBack-Rx/

Gonna take a while to read, some of these concepts are hard for me to grasp, so was FirstDefense in the beginning. Rollback, if it can deliver, appears to be a VERY powerful program. :cool:

Acadia

EDIT: Rollback has its own built-in defagger ... this program is getting more and more interesting.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Still more:

"In addition to the system restore feature, Rollback Rx is also a strong configuration management solution. Based on its “sector mapping” architecture, users can create several independent snapshots each having different applications and data. User can switch back and forth among the snapshots for configuration management, sales demo, or software training purposes."

This appears to make it somewhat similar to FD, able to jump back and forth between different configurations of your system. :cool:

Acadia

11. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I own both FD and Rx. I was using FD at first but thought I`d give Rx a go. I found Rx a wee bit faster in restoring my system so I bought it too. Either one would make a great recovery program...IMO.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi BJ69

Just make sure they don't conflict with each other.

Pete

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

BJ69, BE VERY CAREFUL, both of these programs demand control over the Master Boot Record, I would expect conflict eventually.

Acadia

14. beetlejuice69

Haha Peter and Acadia, I don`t use them at the same time. Just Rx. :)

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb:

Acadia

16. Peter2150

Do you mean if you are trying Rx, then you uninstall FDISR? Or do you just disable FDISR preboot?

Pete

17. beetlejuice69

No I uninstalled FD first, then started using Rx.

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

BJ69, let us know how you like Rollback, thanks.

Acadia

19. beetlejuice69

Hi Acadia. I`ve been using Rx for about 3 weeks to a month now. There`s not too much of a difference in it and FD. I just found it restored my system a little faster then FD, but that`s just my system. Over all I really like it.

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

BJ69, can it use it like FD being able to have completely different configurations of your system and being able to boot into different "snapshots" whenever you want, each one a complete c:drive in itself, but with completely different anti-viruses, browsers, etc.?

Acadia

21. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Yes... Acadia but with the pro version:D

22. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Is it capable of restoring individual files/folders?

23. beetlejuice69

Yeah Acadia like Heco said in the pro version.

Yes pvsurfer it has files recovery also.

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, I read the manual (Pro Version), all 121 pages of it, very carefully, and I cannot seem to find any evidence of being about to switch back and forth between differently configured systems. Am I failing to understand something? With FirstDefense you can have up to ten completely different configurations of your c:drive, different in EVERY WAY, and boot between them, as if booting between different partitions.

I can see how you could test an anti-virus with Rollback RX, then "goback" in time to remove it, but with FirstDefense you can keep that "test" Snapshot, leave it to go back to your Primary Snapshot (the one that you use most often) then come back to the test Snapshot at any time to continue your testing: in essence, and to repeat myself, you quite literally have 10 different c:drives. I see no evidence of this with Rollback.

Thank you,
    Acadia

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  25. Peter2150

Verry Interesting indeed. As I reported in another thread I ran into a problem with FDISR, in that while my one snapshot was fine, any new one I created I couldn't boot into it. So tonight I removed my snapshot, and uninstalled. In the past this has fixed all ills. Reinstalled FDISR and buil the new snapshot(50 minutes), and arg, still couldn't boot into it. Felt totally naked.

So I removed FDISR and installed the trial standard version of Rollback RX with fingers and toes crossed that I ddn't make a bad situation worse. Rollback went on fine. Built the only snapshot the standard version will make,took literallly only a couple of minutes and a reboot. Tested it and played around with it. Recovery of the system was a reboot with about a 2 minute addition. So far I am impressed.

Tomorrow, I make another call to Raxco to try and figure out what's going on, and also a call to RollbackRx with a couple of questions, as well as I am going to install the Pro version.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.