Rollback Rx v10.2 Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by guest, Aug 7, 2013.

1. carfal

carfal Registered Member

Personally i dont think that TRIM can ever be implemented properly with live sector redirecting technology.

Using RB as an example, it works by locking sectors and renders all other snapshots (with their respcetive files) invisible to the current snapshot and/or Windows file system. Therefore when a file is deleted, RB doesnt actually delete the file but rather makes the sectors that the file occupied invisible to the current snapshot. The reason for this is because RB doesnt know yet if the file exists in any other snapshot.

Now lets pause for a moment and really think about this. It would be dangerous to TRIM the original sectors that a deleted file existed in until it was known for certain that the file did not exist in any other snapshot. How can this possibly be achieved. RB itself cant see in any other snapshot bar the current one. All RB sees is occuppied sectors that relate to another snapshot. It doesnt actaully know what is in the sectors (until you restore to the respective snapshot). So using the same line of thougtht, it must only know what are in the sectors of the current snapshot. For these reasons i believe that a true TRIM command can not be possible with live sector redirecting technology.

What about RB's snapshot defragmenter. This is where RB does it's house keeping and works out if a deleted file no longer exists and then reclaims the space (among other things). So one could argue that in order to achieve this, RB must be able to see in all snapshots at the same time and know exactly what files are in each. I dont pretend to know how RB snapshot defragger works or exactly what it does but lets say that in this small window of time RB has all snapshots magically open. I still dont see how a TRIM command can be executed under RB control so that RB knows that the TRIM has finished and RB can now close everything down. I think its a can of worms.

What do you guys think?

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

We think that HDS should lie and tell everyone that TRIM is working!

That is the most ethical thing to do under the circumstances!

Reproduced below fully!

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Nicely reasoned carfal, I suspect you are correct but solutions are occasionally found to thorny problems so I guess only time will tell if HDS can or cannot solve this one. Personally I would be surprised if they can.

4. aladdin

In the meantime, if they quit lying and tell people the truth that TRIM is not working, then they might somewhat redeem themselves in the eyes of the people.

Of course beside from above, presently Rollback Rx is broken and it will take time to fix it.

Changing the forum and getting of negative posts will not redeem them.

5. carfal

carfal Registered Member

But wouldnt it be nice if they could. :D BG, like Aladdin keeps reminding us (again and again and again....), TRIM doesnt work (not even in v10.2). I've been testing RBrx v10.2 and barring some stablility issues which i wont mention for fear of feeding Aladdins crusade, I'm very impressed with the speed improvements in regards to boot times, snapshot defragging and snapshot mounting (Exploring). I did read someone reporting that their boot times increased significantly with the new version but on my SSD i can honestly say that my system boots just as fast. I personally can live with TRIM not working but like Aladdin keeps reminding us, it would be nice if HDS just admit that their trick is simply a clever work around.

6. aladdin

I have no crusade against HDS nor Rollback Rx. I believe that Rollback Rx is an impressive programs with some shortcomings. Show me a program or anything which doesn't have shortcomings. We are all humans.

I am no diplomat and what I don't like, the constant lying to it customers and not being upfront. This is not good for a company, not ethical even if they offer the most impressive program.

I don't like the tall claims (lying) of HDS and what Rollback Rx does to your system upon uninstall. These have already been covered, I will briefly mention them here:

1. TRIM not working. I am not sold on TRIM and I don't think that it matters if it works under Rollback Rx or not, what I detest is the lying of HDS. In fact the life of SSDs are much, much longer than a regular hard disk (failure rate), even if TRIM is not enabled.

2. Renaming Wim.re to something else, thus taking away the capabilities of making Boot Recovery Media for imaging and other programs. Even on uninstall it doesn't name back the Wim.re

3. Messing with MBR.

4. Their tall claims about viruses and protecting MBR.

5. Giving impression that no regular imaging is required and that only Rollback Rx is sufficient for disaster recovery. Many have found out that in case of real disaster, Rollback Rx doesn't suffice.

6. Any many, more!

7. aladdin

I have no crusade against Rollback Rx. However, I have found a replacement product (programs) which does what Rollback Rx does and much more without messing with MBR. It is called AX64:

1. It does snapshots like Rollback Rx, though a little slower.

2. It images your system, which Rollback Rx doesn't and comes handy in disaster recovery. With Rollback Rx one needs a sister program called, Drive Cloner Rx or something similar.

3. It doesn't mess with MBR, like Rollback Rx does.

4. It protects MBR, which Rollback Rx doesn't.

5. It doesn't mess with renaming the Wim.re, whereas as Rollback Rx does as mentioned in my previous post.

6. It is a total disaster recovery product, which Rollback Rx isn't.

7. It cost 1/4 of the price of Rollback Rx and Drive Cloner Rx togather.

8. And much, much more!

I don't live in past, I live in present and future! And, I am not loyal to a program to the detrimental to my sanity and health.

8. edsyl

edsyl Registered Member

I ran into the exact same issue as you.
    Splash screen, and then nothing, program just sits there or something else is holding the boot process.
    When I use the Home key to get into the console, the display is all garbled and unintelligible.

SO no go for me.
    Did you get a response back from the support?
    I am using a recent ASUS motherboard with the latest BIOS.
    I would think that it should not be an issue.
    BWTFDIK?

Regards
    ED

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Longer than V10? I was waiting 2 minutes for that to boot. Now that I'm not running RB it takes 50 seconds with AX64 Time Machine.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If a new build is coming when will that be out, the second quarter of 2014? :p

11. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Not for me. Even though I set RBX to defrag for every 4 snapshots taken, it insists on defragging at every single reboots three times!! Yes, it goes through a round of defrag 3 times before continuing with booting.

Also, check how slow it is to revert to snapshot. Much slower than v10.

12. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

My support ticket is now 5 days old and no response. On their forums, they admitted that they had to sacrifice the ability for EUFI/GPT compatibility. Last I heard, they were working on a text version of the console for me to try. I have no interest into that plan. My laptop is a brand new Dell Precision M4700 that is only 3 months old. And RBX 10.2 is not compatible with it.

13. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

It takes longer on my desktop (which has an SSD) during the pre-boot console check. I have RBX set to take a snapshot at every reboots. And at every reboots, it defrags 3 times and take its sweet time to take that one snapshot.

I really tried to give 10.2 a fair chance since they gave me a free license, but I don't see myself using it going forward.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  14. bgoodman4

On these points I fully agree with you but I think it will take more than telling the truth about TRIM to even begin the redemption process,,,,but the truth would be nice.

15. bgoodman4

For me it makes no difference. I want nothing to do with HDS and it has little to do with Rx and its abilities. I just do not trust them and am very glad to have found an alternate in AX64. In some ways the alternate is not as capable as Rx (restores are def slower for example) but in others its miles ahead,,,,and the best thing (well one of them) is that Isso and crew are not anything like HDS.

16. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I sent them Friday an email about the license compatibility and they replied to me today,sending me the new license for the 10.2 version.All i have to do now is to try the new version.

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Good luck...not for the faint hearted...:gack:

18. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

HDS just acknowledged the issue and I'm not the only one experiencing it. I stopped using RBX 10.2 since anyway.

19. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

A statement was made on their forums that the new build will be before the end of the week. We should start bets on this. :)

20. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I know..:D But i must say that the new version is working flawlessly until now for me.I unchecked all the defaults settings (as i always do) and taking snapshots,defrags,deleting snapshots and the other tasks are performed manually by me.
    And yes,10.2 version is much faster and responsive that 10.1 (for me at least) and i like that it doesn't need another reboot to check the license.

21. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

Glad to hear that it is working (almost) for you. That is at least something. I am afraid that I am moving away from RB Rx...too many inponderables. Who knows...but perhaps one day, when v10 is bedded down and HDS support gets better...I might come back.

Good luck for the future.

Regards, Balders

22. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

If you think you're safe with RBX 10.2, think again!!!

Unbeknownst to me, while RBX 10.2 was running, all images done with Macrium and AX64 TM started to become corrupted. The image files had no corruption, but the content was. RBX 10.2 crapped out of me today with nothing, but blue screens. So I tried to restore from the images I had.

None would work 100%. I had file system corruption everywhere after the restore (a restore with RBX 10.2 still installed, mind you). My Outlook archive file was corrupted, my virtual machines were corrupted, etc. Running chkdsk revealed a massive amount of corruption.

I restored to 3 more images (both Macrium and AXTM), still during the time RBX 10.2 was installed. Same result. Windows was highly unstable.

I restore to an image BEFORE RBX 10.2 was installed and now all is back to normal. Thanks to daily imaging, I was able to easily recover any files lost in the restore (those that were not corrupted).

I am definitely done with HDS RollbackRX. Never again.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Remarkable. Being a long time malware researcher, everything just described raises serious concern indeed and makes that program border on classification of being a VIRUS.

That much file corruption on a basic level doesn't add up very well for any software be it imaging or any other windows program.

24. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

To be clear, this corruption didn't appear to happen while RBX was running. There must be some unholy interaction with the filter driver and VSS that provides imaging software with corrupted data to backup. Even the image verification passes successfully because the software is comparing corrupted data to corrupted data as provided by VSS through RBX's filter driver.

But it is a silent time bomb...

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

MarkP, Sorry to hear of your horrific experience. I'm glad you were able to recover after you eliminated RBRx, and are able to warn the rest of us so we don't suffer the same fate because of RBRx. As you say, never again! :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.