RollBack Rx & Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Yes, I understand that's another RollBack Rx feature, but in my instance simply restoring the prior snapshot was a quick and effective remedy for the installed (bad) Windows update which obviously caused the BSOD.

2. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Yes, RB comes in very handy at times like those! ...and welcome to 'the club' ...I (and some others here) have been using RB for quite some time, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Scott

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I 2nd Scotts welcome to the club The Shadow (and I will refrain from asking who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?, because I know the ans,,,you do. Yes, I am that old ----- do you have any idea what I am on about here?)

I have just begun to use SD and Rx together and I very much like the combo. In about 2 weeks of testing I have had no issues crop up between the 2 programs.

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

In your case since you were trying Rollback Rx, so your Microsoft "Restore Points" were turned off by Rollback Rx.

Microsoft before installing Windows update, takes a "Restore Point". You could have easily accomplished the (bad) Windows update by "Restoring" to a prior "Restore Point" to (bad) Windows update.

Best regards,

KOR!

5. The Shadow

Not so - I couldn't boot into Windows (not even via Safe Mode), so I wouldn't have been able to run System Restore!

Other than RollBack Rx (which saved my arse), I would have had to restore my 3-day old IFW backup... :ouch:

TS

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. The Shadow

Thanks to both of you guys for welcoming me to the (RollBack Rx) club, and thanks to RollBack for making my day!

"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit - crime does not pay ...The Shadow knows!" :D

7. aladdin

Surprisingly, you neither have the Windows DVD and/or USB.

How weird!

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. You should download and have one all flavors (Home, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprises, Ultimate ..... ) on a 4GB USB, which are for less than $10.

8. aladdin

You are lucky that you were testing Rollback Rx at that time, if not, no wonder where your arse would be right now!

LMAO!

Best regards,

KOR!

9. The Shadow

KOR, actually I do have Windows installation disks. I guess if I hadn't had RollBack it may have dawned on me that I could have tried those to run System Restore. But RollBack is so much easier (and quicker)!

TS

10. aladdin

Good for you!

Best regards,

KOR!

11. The Shadow

Hi Scott,

At this point I just have one question (but more will probably be forthcoming). :p

How do you decide which RollBack snapshots to lock (does locking them make them any more secure)?

TS

12. Scott W

Hey TS, first of all you need to understand that although some of us think we know how RB works, it's not as if HDS has revealed very much. With that in mind, it's my understanding that locking snapshots only prevents their accidental deletion. I don't believe that locking a snapshot serves any other purpose (don't confuse locked snapshots with the locked disk-sectors to which RB snapshots are mapped).

I would suggest locking RB snapshots which are taken prior (or subsequent) to important events/updates. They can always be manually unlocked should you decide to delete them. And fwiw, RB locked snapshots can be restored and defragged just like unlocked snapshots.

Hth,
    Scott

13. The Shadow

Scott, your explanation of locked snapshots helps a great deal (I won't even broach the subject of locked sectors)! o_O

Much thanks...

TS

14. bgoodman4

No problem KOR, I took no offence or experienced any discomfort. I just did not see the purpose of continuing the discussion since we are so opposite in points of view regarding the value of Rx that no agreement appeared possible. Thats why I said we should simply agree to disagree. Which means that in spite of our differences we can still agree on something.:)

By the way, I often California for R&R but live in Ontario.

15. bgoodman4

Sorry, double post. I tried to edit this one and it showed up as a new post,,,,,,the next one is the correct version.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  16. bgoodman4

Like so many things this is a personal choice. I have the first boot of the day snap locked. Then I have Rx set to take a snap each hour, these are un-locked. At the end of the day, if all appears well with my PC I will delete all of the hourly snaps. I keep a rolling collection of the last 5 days boot snaps (as well as the base line of course). This way, if I do need to step back in time, I have 5 recent states to choose from. In addition, I can mount the latest snap as a drive and recover any important files which were created since the state rolled back to. I am comfortable with this regime, you may well (probaly will) find some other arrangement more to your liking.

Oh yes, Scott is correct, locking a snap simply prevents its accidental deletion and I ALWAYS take a manual snap before testing any software or doing updates, upgrades, or open any file I am uncertain about. I do not lock them though since for me they will either be used in the very near term, or they will be of no use at all (I could of course go back a bit further to the previous hourly snap).

I cannot recall if this was stated above or not but Rx is not a substitute for drive images. A hard drive failure will destroy all Rx snaps so images, IMO, are an essential part of any regime.

17. aladdin

Dear Barry,

Been to Montreal, Nigeria Falls and so forth, but never to Ontario. California for R&R is much closer to Ontario than Oman. If you ever in ME, come and visit us, we have a very big house with ample of room.

Best regards,

KOR!

18. The Shadow

Thanks to Barry and Scott for addressing my questions about locked RollBack Rx snapshots. It's comforting to know that there are members here who have lots of experience with RollBack Rx and its mysterious magical ways. :p

Btw, I do realize that RollBack is not a substitute for regular image backups, which I finally succeeded in doing correctly (thanks to Scott)!

So far I'm finding Shadow Defender and RollBack Rx are a terrific combo. :thumb:

TS

19. bgoodman4

Thanks for the invite KOR, much appreciated.

20. bgoodman4

You are most welcome.

21. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I'm a quite confused here, so some clarification (and a little patience with me) would be appreciated. ;)

I undertand how Shadow Defender adds protection to an existing Rollback Rx installation, but how does Rollback Rx add value to someone already using Shadow Defender?

Wendi

22. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

From post #49 in this thread:

23. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

2YsUR,

Thank you for the reply, but I already read that. While I can see where The Shadow's experience with Rollback Rx was very rewarding, I was really wondering if Rollback Rx added value (for a Shadow Defender user) in terms of malware protection (I now realize I poorly phrased my original question). :oops:

Wendi

24. Scott W

Hi Wendi,

Although offering a certain degree of malware protection - i.e. many (but not all) malware infections will 'disappear' upon rolling back to a prior snapshot, Rollback Rx should not be considered an anti-malware app. But in light of the way you qualified your original question I would say the additional malware protection RB would provide is that it's always resident, whereas I see that you, like most users (myself included) use SD on-demand.

Scott

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  25. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Thanks Scott, that is a good point that you make, in that SD's protection is only there when it's active! But I do have Panda Cloud AV running actively all of the time (as I see you also do), so I guess I'm covered in that regard.

Wendi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.