RollBack RX PRO or FirstDefense-ISR Rescue

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by demoneye, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

HI ALL

what the defrent between this 2 products? seems like 2 of them snap shoot your HD for future restore ( http://www.horizondatasys.com ).

are this 2 products are good / safe / stable ... compare to similar of its kind?

10x alot

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That depends on what you expect from an ISR-software and nobody knows that, except you.

I always have a goal in advance and then I start looking for softwares to reach that goal.
    I read first what a software can do for me and if it doesn't fulfill my main wishes, I don't even try it. You can't get it all, because there is always something missing.

If you don't have a goal, you will keep on playing with softwares forever.
    Some users do this as a hobby or job, but I have to work with my computer and I need a healthy system to do this.
    My playing stopped, after using ShadowProtect and FDISR in such a way that I reached my goal and that solution is good enough for the next 5 years, maybe longer if I'm lucky.

I bought my computer for working and playing, positive activities.
    Security and cleaning are negative activities, that result in doing NOTHING.
    "System is healthy - system is unhealthy - I have to clean it up - system is healthy again"
    In other words, I have to work and waste my time on something, I had already in the first place, which means I didn't do anything, but I lost alot of time to get it back.
    That was my goal to reduce that job to the absolute minimum = reboot my computer. I couldn't find a shorter and more simple way than this.

I'm waiting for a software that cleans my system without reboot, but that doesn't exist yet.

My advice :
    1. If you want to play forever, download the trial version and play with it until you get tired of it.
    2. If you have a goal like me, read the features and when it meets your main wishes, trial it as long as possible and test it thoroughly all the way.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Both apps are excellent and both work great from my experience. Based on the current versions the main difference is that fd-isr only allows you to have one snapshot where as rollback allows you to have many. The other significant difference is the price :), fd-isr $39 vs rollback $69. As to which one is better all depends on a users preferences.

4. farmerlee

It does exist. There is a piece of software i use everyday which can clean my system without requiring a reboot, its free too ;).

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I guess you are talking about Altiris.

6. farmerlee

Although its not its primary purpose, it does a good job of reverting changes without needing to reboot.

7. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I liked RollBack RX Pro 8.1 when I tried it and I may buy it yet. It is well thought out and easy to use with no bugs that I could spot.

8. pepperer

pepperer Registered Member

What Altiris product? I'd like to look into this...:eek:

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

If all you want is a simple reliable system restore function using the current snapshot=Rescue

If you want a more sophisticated approach,where almost unlimited snapshots going back in time can be used, data can be restored separately,plus lightning fast snapshots=RBx.

This comes at a price only in the case of RBx .

Proper defrags cannot be carried out and other imagers like ATI or SP cant be generally used whilst RBx is active,although I seem to remember if the rescue disk was used for backups,this wasnt a factor

10. fce

fce Registered Member

you forgot RollbackRx8.1 new feature, it can create image and reverse any system crash (even if Windows can't startup)

its like FDISR (39) + Acronis (49.99) = RollbackRx8.1 (69)

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You do have to understand the difference in how these programs work, as it could make a difference to you.

First Defense, makes a complete copy of your c: drive. This does comsume space. But while you work in either snapshot, you are just using good old Windows file system.

Rollback on the other hand is much more space efficient, in that it only puts changes in a new snapshot. But it works by passing all windows I/O thru a kernel level driver to it's own sector based file system. This is why Windows doesn't see all the data.

Is one better then the other. Depends. For most users probably not as Rollback has finally ironed out a lot of the kinks. But if you mess with a lot of kernel based beta programs, then with possible kernel conflicts, you might want to think about it.

Does FDISR+ATI/SP or whatever = Rollback. Maybe yes and maybe now. My current c: drive looks just like it would look with Rollback. I can do a desktop image with ATI/SP and restore it and I get back the exact same results. Can't quite do that with Rollback. Almost, but not quite, so the analogy FCE put's forth is close, but not totally true.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.