Rollback RX or ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheMozart, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

As usual you make a good point, one which I believe you have made before but which I keep forgetting about. Getting a bit long in the tooth so the memory thing ain't what it used to be. Too bad I cant just do an upgrade, that would be sweet.

Still in Cal, back home on Tuesday (rats).

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

LOL.

Would be nice, at least to 2.0 :)

Never been to California, always wanted to. Enjoy your vacation, what is lef as it goes very fast.

Best regards,

KOR!

3. bgoodman4

Thanks,

As to visiting Cal.,,,,,you know the song by the Eagles Hotel California? Its true,,,,,you can check out any time you like but you can never leave. Its awesome here and when I go home from a visit (check out), I can't wait to come back.

Try it,,,,you WILL like it. :D

4. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

5. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I'm also giving serious thought to Rollback Rx (or the like). After reading up on RestoreIT it seems to me to be very similar to the (old) Roxio GoBack. :p

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

As far as I can tell you are correct re. the analogy. I used to use GoBack until I came across RB Rx, which I consider a superior product...but just my view, of course. ;)

7. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

The new version of Returnil (currently in beta) has multi-snapshot capability similar to RX. Worth taking a look at imo.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm tempted to give it a try in the future. I've had Rollback Rx for three months, and I decided to uninstall it the other day. It is a great program, but in the long run it doesn't seem to convince me as a keeper. Why? These are my reasons:

1) It really takes over my computer completely, obviously it is important to ensure the kind of protection it affords, nevertheless in the long run this very fact irritates me.

2) Starting up the computer takes a good 2 minutes before everything is perfectly functional (true, afterwards speed is normal). Shutdown is also longer.

3) Opening up for the first time Chrome within Sandboxie takes another 2 minutes (speed is fine afterwards).

4) The tray icon often disappears for no reason (The GUI can be triggered from Start/All Programs)

5) The Snapshot system appears as a great way to deal with any contingencies, in practice one has to keep carefully track of work that has been recorded in each snapshot. There is always a risk of forgetting what should be saved from a snapshot that is going to be deleted. There are of course many workarounds e.g. automatic synchronization of specific folders (which further increases boot time significantly, it works great going back to earlier snapshots but can be tricky when moving forward in time) or partitioning my drive (which I don't like doing).

6) Probably this point is the one that made me decide to uninstall it for the time being: When I uninstalled it to take an image, and tried to re install it, a window notified me that I've run out of activations (this was my second activation in 3 months). I thought wait a minute, every time I uninstall this program I have to ask e-mail permission to activate it? No way.

HorizonData Sys sent me a reactivation within a day which is quick to be honest, but the thought of paying for a program under these circumstances clearly redefines what it means to purchase anything.

I'm back with Shadow Defender only and it is such a relief to have something very simple, although I must say I suspect my current woes with Rollback Rx have more to do with my computing habits. Time will tell.

9. jelson

jelson Registered Member

Thanks Osaban for your post. Just heard HorizonData is running a special on Rollback Rx this weekend... ($25 here)

But your reasons for not using anymore are compelling... especially its "takeover" of your machine and the activation issue (extremely annoying.)

Thanks again.

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Image if one had the same activation issue for each and every software owned by the individual. How many emails have to be sent!

It is immaterial the turn around is within 24 hours.

Best regards,

KOR!

11. jelson

jelson Registered Member

It's taken me a while to get comfortable with moving my user folders in Win7 (was much simpler in XP) but it does offer several clear advantages:

1. Imaging / Restore time is vastly reduced.
    2. Restores of system drive / partition do not affect data (desktop, etc) nor browser settings (if like in Firefox you can store your profile where you wish)
    3. Simpler to backup your data.
    4. Easy to fit your system on a small but screamingly fast SSD. :D

Simplest way --and the Microsoft approved method-- to do this is given in this Lincoln Specter article in PC World: HERE. (His is decidedly the best article / tutorial I've found on the MS approved method.)

There are only 3 issues with this --which led me to continue to look further--:
    1. Security settings of your user folders are not maintained in the move: so, any user on your machine has access to them.
    2. Labor intensive: you have to move each folder individually.
    3. Legacy junctions (like "Local Settings", "My Documents", "My Music", etc) don't redirect some pre-Vista programs to place files in the moved folders.

I did find a simple and elegant solution: a script that moves the Default User's folders to another drive and another one that moves the Public Folders. Both of these scripts, by Alain Quarré, set the proper security permissions and create the proper junctions for you.

Note that D.U. script doesn't touch existing users on a machine. Only all accounts created afterwards will have their folders created off of C: (You'd have to copy your data to the new account, etc.)

It's also worth mentioning, another script is included that restores the Default User folders back to C: again. And importantly, the script is modular so you can easily tweak it to suit your own individual needs.

I just finished doing this about a week ago on a Vista machine and am about to do to several more Windows 7 machines. Haven't found any problems yet.

The original script and thread (36 pages & counting) are in French HERE but there's also a brief English thread HERE.

Note: you'll want to use the updated script (May 2011) that's in both French & English and handles security permissions (*-ML-S.rar) Link is on the primary French page & in post 2 of English one.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but hope this helps.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You are welcome. I'd like to point out that the activation problem seems to affect some users, and nobody knows why. I still think that the Rollback Rx at 25 $ is a great program to buy. Unfortunately one has to receive an activation key, install and uninstall in order to check if one is affected.

13. rkasse

rkasse Registered Member

One cause of the problem is NOT being online at the time the product is uninstalled. If you are online when unistalling the Horizon Data System servers are notified and should then allow the next install. Of course, sometimes their servers may be offline creating a problem for all users at the time.

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you're using broadband, aren't you on line all the time, or do you have to be on the download site? I have had to get my reg re-configured twice out of 3 times. It doesn't take that long if you remember that Horizon is on California time, and if you wait to uninstall-re-install RB when it's morning in California, they will get to you in a few hours. ;)

15. rkasse

rkasse Registered Member

They recommend turning off any AV software during the install as sometimes it may be falsely detected as a root kit. When turning off my AV I also turn my modem off. On occasion I have turned off the modem prior to doing the uninstall.

There is no need to be on their site at the time of the uninstall. You just need an internet connection and hopefully their servers are up and running.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Good point about the AV being off. On the other hand we just talked about being on line, and you now say to turn off the modem.

17. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

I am a RB 9.1 user. Every time I uninstall RB and then attempt to reinstall it I experience the "Max no. of authorized activations have been exceeded" issue. I can say with certainty that in my case it has nothing to do with internet connectivity or my AV. I'm of the opinion that the issue has to do with one's hardware configuration. In any case, it is a known issue to HDS and they are trying to find a solution.

When you notify them that you are having this problem (by way of submitting an 'urgent' support ticket), they will "reset your product key" very respnsively (within their working hours). So until this issue is resolved once and for all, the safest practice is to only uninstall-reinstall your RB during their working days-hours!

Scott

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  18. rkasse

rkasse Registered Member

1. online when doing uninstall
    2. turn off modem
    3. turn off/disable AV
    4. start install,
    5. turn on AV & Modem for the online activation.
    6. turn off AV & Modem to proceed with install.

I haven't done this in a couple of months so I may not remember the exact steps but I think you get the idea.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  19. rkasse

rkasse Registered Member

I only ment to suggest one possible cause for the problem. It is clear from user complaints that there is a problem in their code.

I'm also using RB V9.1 and have had the problem one time in about 4 re-installs.

Yes, fully agree!

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As I said in post #39. ;)
    I have had to get my reg re-configured twice out of 3 times. It doesn't take that long if you remember that Horizon is on California time, and if you wait to uninstall-re-install RB when it's morning in California, they will get to you in a few hours.

21. bgoodman4

I have been using Rx since version 8 and uninstall reinstall monthly (not sure how many that makes but somewhere between 24 and 36 times I would guess) and I have not ever had this problem (yet). Hopefully HDS gets the problem fixed as I know some folks have the problem every time they reinstall and that has to be a real PITA.

22. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

24. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Not from what I see. It doesn't appear that Oops! backs up the entire Windows partition (as does Rollback Rx). It seems to make scheduled automatic backups of your personal (data, docs, images, etc.) files, retaining multiple versions.

Scott

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oops! Hmm......my bad. :D

Last edited: May 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.