Rollback RX + Novastor 7.3 in open file backup mode = BSOD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by MerleOne, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Just to warn potential users of Novabackup 7.3 that recently added an Open File Backup feature under XP : you definitely have to disable this feature before installing Rollback RX.

I found this the hard way :( , having to reinstall my whole system (from a backup !).

Since I installed the Rollback RX demo, I realized I was getting BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) almost everytime Novabackup was running.

Since I disabled it (in the main options and in every backup script), Rollback RX seems to be running very nicely.

I'll notify Rollback Publisher.

.merle1.

2. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Thanks for the warning. Please post results of any response from Rollback. I had both Novastor 7.3 and Rollback installed on my computer at the same time last month. I was especially interested the open file backup that Novastor had in its latest version. I never experienced the problem you had, but then I may not have had Novastor active at that time. I can't recall.

Again thanks for the alert on this - I will avoid the potential conflict. I really liked Novastor 7.3 based on my limited use of the trial version.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This will be a problem with any open file backups. While it didn't trash my system, I tried running Dantz's Retrospect, which also uses an open file backup, and with Rollback on the system, it also produced a BSOD. Having a vague understanding of what Rollback is doing, I guess I am not surprised.

I have been sticking to imaging with Acronis True Image and Image for Windows.

Pete

4. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I am interested in ATI for both disk-imaging and file/folder backup. I gather that ATI does not have open file backup ability? If it doesn't, is that a draw-back to using ATI for those purposes? I only have a fuzzy knowledge of these matters, but am interested in using Rollback (if possible) with compatible backup software.
    Thanks for any info you can provide me.

Rob

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Rob

I use ATI strictly for disk-imaging, and it seems fine. I suspect when you read the forums and see some of the problems, they might relate to the newer fancy features. I don't really know about ATI in terms of open file backup. For file backup purposes I use a program AJCDirectory Sync, and use that to keep certain directories upto date on an external drive.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.