Rollback RX 8.0 CHKDSK...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Atomas31, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

The following was taken from the Horizon site regarding the "chkdsk" problem that many have experienced:
    Appendix A – A Sampler of Collected Rumors

We thought you might be amused by some of the rumors we have heard and read. We present them below, with our responses:

Rumor: Everybody is having CHKDSK problems.
    Debunk: We have 300,000 plus installs of Rollback v8 and zero incidents that we can provably attribute to it.

Rumor: Rollback causes Vista to have a CHKDSK.
    Debunk: Oh, right! Vista NEVER gets a CHKDSK on it's own.

Rumor: X installed Rollback and got CHKDSK after CHKDSK. He took it off and the CHKDSK disappeared. HE re-installed and CHKDSK came back.
    Debunk: This guy's disk failed the week after. The CHKDSKs were the dying gasp of the drive.

Rumor: HDS does not care about fixing the CHKDSK problem.
    Debunk: Oh, right! We absolutely do not care about fixing a giant, fatal flaw in our flagship software. You know – the software that feeds our families and pays our bills?

Rumor: The Forums are full of Rollback's CHKDSK problem.
    Debunk: Postings in one Forum reference the postings in the other, by the very same guy(s). Look carefully and you will see a parade made out of two balloons.

Rumor: Rollback will perform a CHKDSK completely on its own, without any user intervention.
    Debunk: The CHKDSK API was never programmed into Rollback Rx; therefore, it must have developed self-awareness and started to re-program itself.

Rumor: Rollback has been having CHKDSK problems since v7.
    Debunk: We did get an occasional CHKDSK incident under v7, but we changed the timing of one of the drivers in v7.21 to drastically narrow the window where this could happen (see the section on Hard Power losses). Since then, we haven't had the one.

Very interesting attitude, almost calling their customers a bunch of idiots. Earlier they stated they had "milliions" of installations. Now it's down to 300,000. Rather than give a $1000 "prize", maybe they should look for a good outside systems programmer, pay him/her $10,000 to find the problem, and stop all this chatter about how they are right and their customers are wrong.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Silver

Okay, I don't think we need this. Regardless, Andrew Shen, who is the developer has expressed is wanting to fix any issues, but needs our help. He is on the same page as to what defines a failure. Now it's up to us to test and help, but to keep posting the same stuff over and over again, doesn't help at this point.

Pete

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

No, you can install them us you wish. They will not conflict.

ps. I just spoke to my friend to which I recommended RollBack and he told me that he had the chkdsk problem last week. He had cleared all unlocked snapshots and was waiting to finish the video editing process that he was doing in that moment, before taking a new one. Guess what?

BSOD -> Reboot -> CHKDSK -> Baseline corrupted!
    Confirms my theory that during the chkdsk Rollback fails to redirect the writes to unprotected sectors. ;)

He used Pinnacle studio for the video editing, just in chase you want to give it a ride.:p

4. Peter2150

I was hoping to get a test program today, so I didn't have to use power reset. Talk about weird wanting a program who's sole function is to crash and trash the system.:D

5. pandlouk

Hehehe :D

Peter instead of waiting for this program you might want to try this
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;244139&x=21&y=17
    :D :cool:

6. Peter2150

Okay, tonight, i beat, tortured and twisted as hard as I can on Rollback 8.1 and i flat couldn't break it.

In one of my early attempts I tried deleting kernel32.dll. Of course I couldn't, so I ran Unlocker. Running Unlocker on that file cause unlocker to list all the processes kernel32.dll, which of course is a bunch. One of the options is to Unlock all the processes, which immediately produces a BSOD. That was no problem, soo....

I must have done 10 power resets at various stages of the boot process. No problem.

My last effort was to put the system in Shadow Mode(ShadowDefender), then start the process of deleting Kernel32.dll, but stopping at the point of the last click. I then started RegsupremePro doing a registry scan(Like who would do this in shadowmode), and while it was scanning, I clicked the last step of unlocker, crashing the system.

Rollback did some cleanup stuff and then the system rebooted just fine. In fact some files I downloaded that should have been gone, were.

I am out of idea's as to trying to break it. Earlier versions would have gone down in flames, but 8.1 is looking good.

Pete

7. fce

fce Registered Member

Pete,

That's one hell of a test!!

That's what you call a Ferrari with a Hummer bumper :D

8. pandlouk

Similar results from me too.
    Here they are:

20 defrags in windows enviroment with intentional BSODS = The snapshot survived all the 20 times!

20 defrags in windows enviroment with intentional forced shut down = Only 6 times I saw the chkdsk fixing errors. From 5 of those some files and indexes were fixed/deleted (3 times less than 20, 2 times less than 50) and all of them the snapshot survived. Only 1 time chkdsk fixed a lot of files, I managed to enter the snapshot but it wasn't stable. On version 8.0 I had a success rate of 100% in damaging, and on 8.1 only 5%.

Excellent results. :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

For Drive Image:

I backed up my drive C: 17,6 Gb

Normal compression = 6,01 GB, in 8 minutes and 35 seconds
    High Compression = 6,00 GB, in 12 minutes and 10 seconds

But I cannot use the linux CD. :(

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FINALLY! They got around to trimming the FAT and now are making this app lean + effective like everyone is been expecting. Very good news + results so far. This is just the turn of events many have long awaited for from this program.

10. pandlouk

Yes, it seems (fingers crossed) they got it right this time. As Erik wrote in one of his previous posts
    And at least from my tests it seems that finally is reliable. And not only that it's also faster than it was before. :D

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK. I keep my fingers crossed during 6 months and don't want to see the words "RollbackRx" and "chkdsk" together in one post anymore. Who got the reward of $1,000 ? :D

12. Peter2150

That's as brutal as what I did.:D I can't use the linux CD either, but no surprise on that. No linux CD has worked on my machines.

13. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Hi Pete,

We needed this series of posts to change their attitude. If all of us had not exposed this problem, they would still be denying it. I am glad that Andrew Shen is involved now. I talked to him many times over a year ago when I had "chkdsk" problems with v7 and sent him files that he requested. When they could not fix the problem, they offered me a refund (minus 15% "restocking" fee on a product that I DOWNLOADED). That was my first indication that they might be a little shady.

I have downloaded and received my licenses for v8.1. I will NOT install it and risk my system until I have watched these threads for at least 2 months. If they have indeed fixed the "chkdsk" problem with v8.1, then, it probably will not be mentioned here and I will take another chance and reinstall it as I really like the program.

Until then, I will take your advice and remain silent on the issue.

Silver

14. pandlouk

:D . About the linux cds do you know the reason why the do not work? They do not like intel chipsets or what? :mad: :'(

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    I performed 5 more tests with the combination:

Coping a large file >4gb + Defrag of snapshots + forced shutdown

And I had a much higher (3/5) rate of damaging the snapshot. Although chkdsk fixed errors, I could enter in the snapshots but I saw that now the space they occupied was higher by 1.5GB, 2.0GB and 2.7GB. o_O

Even when I restored them again the occupied space did not change.

These ones will be more easy to create problems later on, if the user does not notice the difference in the occupied size.

Test is over.

15. Peter2150

Thanks. You have to know I had a good, test restored, image, before I did what I did. I am going to reinstall within FDISR later today, and let it run.

Pete

16. Peter2150

I agree. I am satisfied to put it back on my system and let it run.

Re the linux CD. It may be a combo of the mobo and the nvidia raid drivers. Only recovery stuff I can run has to be windows.

17. pandlouk

Same here.

Now the only question that is left unanswered is if fce will buy it. :D :rolleyes:

ps. sorry fce but after all those "myths", "prove it",etc. I just had to "say" it :p ;)

18. Brian Elias

Brian Elias Registered Member

I have the same problems with the Acronis Linux drivers: If I use the Linux restore CD it takes 7 hours for a restore. Doing the same restore from a BartPE disk (MS Drivers) takes 30 minutes. I have tried this on two systems, using both SATA and USB drives. I don't know what Linux doesn't like, but Acronis confirms that it is the Linux drivers and there is no fix.

I also have Rollback Rx v8.1 installed for 1 week with no problems, although it took several months for v8.0 problems to crop up for me. I do all my backups with Acronis, which backs up the active snapshot just fine. Incremental backups will then give me several point-in-time "snapshots" to an external drive. Works for me.

19. fce

fce Registered Member

hahaha! i try Acronis...Shadow Protect....but settle with this Ferrari :D

i'm just waiting for my trial period to expire, then i'll buy this ver8.1

if you have discount coupon you can give me a shout :D

btw, forget the "myths", "prove it", etc etc......just enjoy the "Ferrari" :cool:

20. ErikAlbert

Can you restore your computer completely with only having RBRx8.1 in case your harddisk is corrupted or crashed ?

21. fce

fce Registered Member

yes.

- boot using RollbacRx8.1 recovery disc
    - choose external drive if internal HDD is not accessible
    - select saved image.
    - viola! image restored

22. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Did the restore save your current RollBack snapshot or all of your Rollback snapshots?

Gary

23. ErikAlbert

What if you have a second harddisk and/or several partitions ? Can RBRx8.1 handle that too ?

24. fce

fce Registered Member

not sure, i did not try it yet....but if you restore the image with your current snapshot included/saved....maybe yes.

what i did is just check if i can boot using rbrx8.1 recovery disc and if drive image can detect all my drive....so that during bare metal recovery i know that RBRx8.1 will work.

25. fce

fce Registered Member

yes.

The backup image might contain multiple partitions, you can restore all partitions to a hard disk or only select a specific partition to restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.