Rollback RX 8.0 CHKDSK...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Atomas31, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Removed a series of inappropriate posts.

Pete

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

The new fabled 8.1 is out. Now folks anyone that uses RB be prepared to send in a ticket to get a new key. It appears that the old key will no longer work...even if it`s a brand new ver8 key. Wow they sure like to play the patients of a RB user. I`m glad I use somethng else on my desktop. This is pure BS.

If ya don`t like this post Peter. get rid of it.

3. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

How do you become a gold member? I hope it is just by have the 1 year maintenance.

4. Peter2150

I believe thats it.

5. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Peter have you tried the new version yet and what are your thoughts?

6. Peter2150

Well I was just reading the response to the replies to their challenge. It would appear they are defining what they consider a success in a way, that makes it easier to avoid the issue. I am going to wait a bit before deciding whether I want to bother with the new version.

Might try it in a day or so out of curiousity. Just depends.

Pete

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Same here.
    And as I wrote over there:

And if they do not answer, I'll have my answer ;) . Sometimes silence is more valuable and makes people understand a lot!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  8. fce

fce Registered Member

test it yourself.
    what works in Pete computer doesn't mean it will work on your computer.

mine, it works as i expected. flawless. from 1minute taking snapshot in v8....it takes less than 5secs using v8.1 with 20GB/200GB HDD.

i used Restore snapshot to build up more confidence.....no problem at all (after checking event viewer if there's some conflict or watever problem)

i try to duplicate the developers requirement re: chckdsk issue....NEGATIVE!

on the other side of the coin, i send ticket re: hibernation (known) issue of v8.1 ....POSITIVE with BSOD :D but i don't care for now since i disable sleep mode of my PC.

Result Summary --> LOVELY in less than 5secs!!!

next test, i'll create bootable disc using RBRx8.1 new feature and check how to restore my partition using that recovery media.

9. Peter2150

You know, I don't know as its a hardware issue, nearly as much as a usage issue. One of the things with the developers criteria is they wrote them so that there would be no failure. Namely that it is okay as long as you can boot to a previous snapshot. But that isn't really acceptable. I want to boot to the snapshot, just made before I started whatever causes the problem. If I can't do that, it just doesn't work.

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Agree....booting to the baseline snapshot and losing the recent snaphots, especially the most current one is just NOT acceptable.

Seen that problem once when there is a sudden power failure in my city. Had chkdsk run and then I was not able to boot to my most current snapshots and cannot boot to my next more current 2 to 3 more snapshots. NOT acceptable !

11. pandlouk

Well with their attitude they managed to make one of their supporters really mad. As I posted over there:
    In late August I provided them another customer who bought 2 licences and personally I would have bought another 2 around Christmas.

If they continue like this I will never, ever and I mean ever recommend HorizonDatasys as a software provider to no none.

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Can only see that the Rollback developers are in a state of denial.:thumbd:

13. fce

fce Registered Member

sorry guys, i think your just part of minority (less than 20 users) who hates Rollback Rx.

the sad part here is bashing RBRx as if this is the worst system recovery system.

if you hate RBRx, use windows system restore or other software. PERIOD.

It's like the case of Kaspersky AV, some computer it runs terrible and experience Chkdsk issue....but once you know how to fix and play with Kaspersky you will be glad you installed Kaspersky AV in your computer.

just move-on guys....if you don't want RBRx drop-it and forget it (no more bashing). that's the right way to do....remove the burden in your heart and move on.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  14. Peter2150

Yes, but that doesn't solve problems. The kaspersky people who had a problem, after paying for the software, persisted until Kaspersky did acknowledge a problem. So far no fix, but.....

Also we aren't bashing Rollback as much as the attitude of the developers. It may well be that Rollback can't handle certain kinds of uses. Fine, but say so. Don't just stick your head in the sand and say there is no problem.

The problem I found with FDISR, was only troubling one user. ME. But the tested with my help and fixed it. That is what we would like to see here.

15. fce

fce Registered Member

I'm not pete, actually i submitted ticket regarding Hibernation issue with RBRx.

But it didn't hurt me experiencing that problem because I know that all software are NOT perfect.

PS: after creating bootable disc and run it (takes me ~2minutes to view Image drive). all my drive is visible including external hdd....i think this version is pretty good specially its ready for bare metal recovery.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  16. pandlouk

FCE I couldn't care less for this chkdsk problem. I do not even consider it a problem. They are only misleading their users. And this is why:

17. gberns

gberns Registered Member

I thought someone ought to say simply that I use it and am happy with it. You folks can continue your technical arguments until the cows learn how to program the vcr, but for me the program in the past, and now 8.1, does for me what it says it will and does it quite well. I have made the bare metal bootable restore disk and find it a fine add on.

Sorry to post with nothing bad to say. But someone, somewhere has to be happy.

18. fce

fce Registered Member

absolutely!

19. pandlouk

I exchanged some emails with Andrew (the developer of Rollback RX) and I thank him for this, and I wanted to share with all the users that HorizonDatasys do care and try to identify the problem. :) :thumb:
    One solution that passed my mind could be the following:
    After a bsod or a powerloss Rollback checks its table; but instead of loading the working snapshot, should take another snapshot based on the working one, and then should ask the user, if he wants to load the baseline, for recovering his valuable data (advisable), through loading that snapshot as a virtual drive, or if he want to proceed normally.
    By doing this I think that Rollback will minimize the possibility that chkdsk corrupts a good snapshot even if the driver that directs the writes is not loaded. The snapshot that will be corrupted will be the last one automatically created by rollback after the check of its table. And not the one where the user worked before the power loss happened.

ps. I will continue to recommend Rollback Rx to my friends, especially after this chkdsk problem is resolved. :thumb:

20. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Why this sudden change o_O Care to elaborate more*puppy*

21. pandlouk

Well from the "talk" that I had with their chief engineer and developer of the RollBack RX I was informed that they did not suspected at all that the cause of the chkdsk problem could be a power loss during the defrag procedure at the boot time and for this reason they have not really tried it.
    He ensured me that he will look deeply into that and see what are the worst scenarios and how they can improve it…

As for the security problem that I described at my previous posts, he asked me as much details I could provide him and he will check this out.

For the Reward of 1000$, he told me that he knew what I meant with my reaction about it, and that it is not really about the money.
    They only try to show that:
    1). they do care about problems reported by customers.
    2). they are not trying to hide problems.

ps. This is the kind of support that I expect from a software provider. Since they provide us such support I'll continue to recommend HorizonDatasys to my friends.
    (although I am fan of freeware apps) :D
    Panagiotis

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  22. fce

fce Registered Member

that's good to know

got this email from RBRx developer....

"we have enhanced the issue in this new build, but there're still a lot to do. Thanks"

with the bare metal recovery and less than 5secs take a snapshot, this new RBRx v8.1........ it works like a FERRARI!!!

23. pandlouk

Well, I just installed it. For sure is much faster.
    But I cannot say yet, if it is more stable. I will give it some serious testing at the weekend.
    I only checked about the vulnerability I was talking about earlier and is there, but I expected that.

An advice: If you want to minimize to zero the possibility of a chkdsk install Returnil. When Returnil is active the chkdsk does not happen even with a power loss. Unless it happens during the preboot enviroment of RB-rx.

24. Peter2150

Are you running Rollback with Returnil, and was there a particular install order?

25. Peter2150

I would also have to concur about the attitude of the developer. I talked on the phone with Andrew Shen, and we are on the same page as to what constitutes a legitimate problem. Now monkey is back on me to test, and see what happens.

While I don't know how things will sort out as far which products I run and how, and pleased they are open to looking at the problem. An even better sign of their being open was I was candid about the fact I am running on Raid 0, and why I didn't think it was a factor. He agreed with me. I was pleased at that as someone could have used it as an excuse to negate results. That didn't happen, again showing me they honestly want to define if there is a problem and what it is.

This can only be good for users and Horizon both.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.