Rollback RX 8.0 CHKDSK...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Atomas31, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appster

appster Registered Member

I bought and have been using Rollback Rx v7.2.1 ever since last December and it's been doing a valuable job for me in my PC activities. I'm running WinXP and I test apps every day of every week. I typically accumulate 20 - 30 Rollback snapshots and I perform at least two Rollback restores every day of every week.

Over the 9-months I have been using Rollback Rx v7.2.1, it has never given me any problems, so I am really shocked to read some of the horror stories in this forum! If those chkdsk problems were strictly related to v8.0, I might just figure that the new version had some 'infancy' bugs, but based on my experience, I sure can't understand why some users are reporting WinXP chkdsk problems with v7.2.1! :gack:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The key is no. 4 If you are working in snapshot S2, and your system crashes, and during reboot you see chkdsk, are you booting in a known good snapshot. I for one darn well think so. Well be interesting to see their take.

FCE, you also have to realize, that folks around here who have had problems have complained and gone the support road in the past, to no avail. I talked on the phone with them after a support tick was filed over a year ago. Explained what the problem was, how they could duplicate it, gave them my phone number, offering to test any solutions, and got no response. I am not alone.

This is why I caution you about climbing on a soapbox about the reporting issue. You just don't know the background.

Pete

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Strange at least for me why the long silence of communications with HorizDataSys. They obviously know that they DO have a product worth improving and that support for users issues can only gain them credibility plus the same loyalty many other vendors now enjoy. It draws more than an audience, it's a springboard for attracting and building a firm customer base.

All programs no matter what suffer rough edges and even border on complete uselessness with some configurations, but that alone in and of itself is no reason not to take those issues to task and form solid solutions.

I gave up on it, but that doesn't mean i won't come storming back to it another version, especially a version where all the reports returning finally express complete confidence in it.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Well the bad thing that you guys do not understand and this thing starts to irritate me is that over the HorizonDatasys forum and at their Documentation the post and the instructions simple vanish!

At May (before I purchased Rollback RX), June and Jully on the documentation, there was an article about dual boot that claimed that you can install Rollback RX in a dual boot system and have Rollback installed only in one windows OS. The disc would be protected as long as you booted your system from HDD0. The second Windows OS would be protected but you would not have the ability to control the snapshots from it.
    http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=4443&task=knowledge&questionID=6
    This article magically changed on 9/5/2007! Now it claims the opposite!

Also their support in one post (it had as tittle Dual Boot) where another user asked, if he could install Linux had responded that he could as long as is installed in the first Disk and booted that disk.
    This post is simple vanished from the forum!

Because of those 2 articles/posts I made a question on 6/1/2007.
    Now from the developer
    Well excuse me but this was not a known product limitation of Rollback Rx until I submitted them detailed info and proof that Rollback RX Protection can be easily bypassed, and eliminated!
    Fortunatly I have a copy of those tickets and I can demostrate that what I say it's true.
    Let's continue:
    Respond from support
    Take a look at the dates and you will understand what I am talking about! The documentation was modified only after I submitted that info in the forum. And I had to find this during the tests, I performed on July. Back then the documentation about this did not existed.

And once and for all. The problem is not about CHKDSK. Is about that Rollback RX DOES NOT PROTECT the drive/partition during the boot time! And I have demostrated that I am correct.
    And this thing is closely related with "Booting off a CD and do something to the disk protected by Rollback is a big NO NO" which I reported them through their ticket system on 7/12/2007, and I had it confirmed by the support as a bug on 8/6/2007.
    If they fix this the CHKDSK problem will vanish!
    The above does not mean that Rollback is not a good product. I have contacted HorizonDatasys for buying 1-2 more licenses around Christmas.
    But I cannot tollerate that posts simply disappear from their forum. I am a volunteer Moderator at the Comodo forum and I have never seen anyone to delete a post, unless is highly offending, and even then ,before we take any action we worn the user to change his post and his attitude.
    If some newer information about a bug arrises the posts are not modified, only updated with the newer info!!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  5. fce

fce Registered Member

bump.

No IF's or BUT's...

peace.

6. pandlouk

What are you talking about? o_O :mad:
    It is not a but or if. It is a bug that can take down Rollback RX. They know that exists. And it is not a chkdsk problem. I know, the support team know it and the developers know it!

So what the .... are you talking about?

I am their customer and you are not. I am helping them with this, for two months now, and you do nothing. My mistake; you say "myth", "peace" and "prove it".

I proved it and they have the documentation. But I will not post that info in public.

Give us a rest!:cool:

7. Peter2150

:thumb: :thumb:

8. fce

fce Registered Member

cool down and take it easy.

check the title of the thread and tell me what we should discuss on this thread.

You're creating another problem and better create your own thread :-*

If you cannot duplicate what RBRx developer is asking .....dont blame me or just shut up :D

peace/myths/prove it/explain before you complain ;)

9. pandlouk

It seems that you are the only one here that does not get it.
    I did not only duplicate the CHKDK issue, I have succeded 20+10 times, but also found that when chkdsk runs during the boot, the sectors of the damaged snapshot are modified, although they should remain frozen.
    This means that the problem is more than the chkdsk issue.

ps. You were the one that send me the following message.
    You do not have a clue if Rollback RX is stable or not!
    so... what are you doing in this thread?:D

10. Peter2150

FCE your posting approach in this thread is really proving irrating to people, and these are the very people whose help you may need.

If you aren't having any problems with Rollback, then buy it. But stop irrating folks with your "myth" , "prove it" stuff. And it has become quite irriating.

Pete

11. fce

fce Registered Member

sorry for that. just look FIRST at pandlouk post, i just play with his post. ;)

Btw, I'm not gonna buy it yet, i'll try it when 8.1 release maybe by monday (?)

also I'm not trying to irritate you (or other user who experienced the problem)....in fairness to RBRx developer, if RBRx user can't duplicate what the developer of RBRx is asking regarding RBRx ver.8 CHKDSK issue.... just be quite.... and don't create and redirect the issue with their own RBRx problem which is not related to developers' REQUEST of duplicating the main issue.

pandlouk, you're creating different problem from the main issue. for now no comment. take it easy :)

12. Peter2150

Sorry, but that doesn't cut it. If the site forth a procedure which insures we can't duplicate the problem, then that is a sure fire sign they either can't or don't want to. We are telling them we have problems, and how to duplicate them. They can then either try what we tell them, and see. But if they want to change what we do when we see problems, that's BS.

Honestly I think the real problem is that Rollback is fine for light duty users. In one of my first converstations with them, they were surprised people were using it to beta test kernel level programs. They hadn't considered that possiblity. It may well be that the program well never be able to handle certain usages, but then they need to state that.

Pete

13. Peter2150

FCE. The problem with that is quite a few users have had bad experiences, and not gotten much satisfaction from support. Playing with people's posts in that situation isn't going to win you anything.

Pete

PS You were pushing the do something or shut routine, and you haven't bought it yet. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

14. fce

fce Registered Member

below are the list of program installed in my computer:
    - kaspersky IS7
    - nero7
    - ripit4me
    - HD decrypter
    - MS Office
    - Forex software
    - google earth
    - yahoo messenger
    - Asus utility (lifeframe, direct console, virtual camera, etc.)
    - command and conquerer 3
    - counter strike
    - halo2
    - itunes
    - ccleaner
    - adobe
    - autocad viewer
    - preloaded vista home premium

i don't consider myself as a light-duty user specially when i play C&C and CS online, but still RBRx ver.8 works great in my computer.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Interesting.

pandlouk's rather lengthy but pointed reply certainly has cleared up many questions i had myself as to what the devil was going haywire with it.

Peter2150 also makes a very good point on the low level or kernel actions some users use, and it looks that it may very well be that some critical either "known issues" or "does not support" items were not made public enough if at all. If i read all this right.

16. Peter2150

When the KIS 8 beta starts this fall, give that a whirl, and see how it goes.

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Yes the Rollback people do read this forum :) I know cause they read a post of mine and said so in my support ticket, so rest assured they do know whats going on. Secondly CHKDSK isnt triggered by a Software so it cant be Rollback CHKDSK is triggered by the Computer itself if it senses that your hard drive or other hardware is about to fail.

18. pandlouk

Easter you read this right.
    What I'm trying to make the people understand is that Rollback does not freezes the snapshots (not during the boot time and probably neither in the windows enviroment). If it did the chkdsk issue and other problems with files disappearing, would not exist.
    All I say, and this is why I call it a bug, is to add this fuction (it should already be there, since it is mentioned in the documentation). The preboot application should have it, and probably did in earlier versions, but they took it out. Why? Maybe it has to do with incompatibilities, I do not know.
    Deepfreeze has this ability and trully freezes the disk. A format on a disk protected with Deepfreeze will not destroy the data. The system after the reboot will remain the same.
    On the other hand a format with a system that is protected by Rollback will destroy all the data, even the baseline snapshot!

If they cannot deliver that, they should say it and warn their customers! Not redirecting the problem on an chkdsk issue that does not exist and giving a reward for anyone who finds it!

19. Peter2150

DVD

You are half right, and just adding confusion to the issue. Yes chkdsk is triggered by the computer, not necessariliy when hardware is about to fail, but when it senses something wrong with the file system, and software can and indeed does at times mess up a file system. So indirectly it can be the cause of chkdsk running. That is the issue.

Pete

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks. That little CHKDSK tidbit explaination solidly confirms my suspicions all along about Microsoft's lack of computer engineering skills in certain key areas of their system.

If CHKDSK does not approve of certain maneuvers or placements within the NTFS file system (as expected/coded), it takes it upon itself in AUTOPILOT :doubt: to rearrange matters according to it's internal programmed pattern.

And in simple layman's terms, if it (CHKDSK) detects that my .arx Archives (any or all of them), do not line up EXACTLY with $M's coded pattern structure or perhaps something has been ill tampered with within them during it's comparison run, then it automatically resorts everything.

Now i see why my FD-ISR archives went to pot one day AFTER i let CHKDSK do what i thought would be a simple routine run.

21. pandlouk

Here is the documentation to which I was reffering earlier.
    It seems a little strange that some hours earlier I could not find it anywhere and now I found it with the first search of the site.:cautious: :mad: :shifty:
    Anyway I cannot really complain since everything in the documentetion is back. :) :thumb:

ps.The Topic #: 4073-119 is wrong. If you try this, sooner or later, you will encounter problems and will loose valuable data.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats not the only way to lose data, but then this is been run into the ground many times over.

Remedy here i believe is to expect better improvements all the way around on the next version. If no joy, then it's a given they should enlist the assistance of higher minds of superb coding skills.

23. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

After reading all the posts in this ... ah, peculiar thread, I've reached two conclusions:

1. Any lingering interest I had in trying Rollback Rx has been extinquished.

2. fce has a curious fixation with the word "myth."

24. Peter2150

Karen

Rollback has some exciting possiblities, which is why many of us keeping giving it a whirl. But it also has some potential problems, which need attention. Hopefully now this will happen. But given your "Vista" experience I'd stay away for a while.

Pete

25. fce

fce Registered Member

karen,

try Rollback Rx. I'm using home vista & it works fine with my PC.

don't be blinded by bad news about RBRx. Try it yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.