Rollback rx & 128 GB limitation

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mike21, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hello. I recently upgraded to win 7 x64.

I bought 2 HHDs 1.5TB each and one SSD OCZ revodrive 160GB for the system partition.

In order to install rollback I had to disable the pagefile immediately after installing win 7 x64, because with pagefile enabled I had only 120GB free immediately after format, and it was impossible to install it with less than 128GB free space (known issue).

Now, after I put on raid 0 the HDDs, I want to raid 0 the SSD, which will leave me with around 50GB free space after the windows installation. Is there any trick to install rollback with so limited disk space on system partition?

Or is there any similar alternative, that rolls back the windows partition in short time?

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I didn't know that Rollback Rx has a 120gb limitation. Had it installed on a partition which was less than 50gb. No problems encountered.

Maybe, Aaron Here who is an expert or Froggy another expert on Rollback Rx on this forum can help.

Best regards,

KOR!

4. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hi KOR

I was unable to install rollback, in the first format of the new PC, around 2 weeks ago, with 100gb empty space. I searched a while and I found in their forums (where I am not a member) at least one similar situation

5. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

@KOR, I'm no expert, just a long-time RB user.

@Mike, I never heard of a '128GB limitation' - in fact I run RB on a 36GB C-drive on my desktop and on a 20GB C-partition on my laptop! I really don't have any direct experience with SSDs or Win7, but here are two things to try.

First, make sure that RB is uninstalled. Then make sure that TRIM is disabled in Windows. Now (just to humor me), also disable Bitlocker. Once that is done try reinstalling RB (again).

Fwiw, RB v10 (scheduled for release in a few months) is supposed to be 'TRIM-aware' - until then TRIM should not be used. Bitlocker is supposed to be ok only when enabled before installing RB, but I still have doubts... :doubt:

Good luck,
    Aaron

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  6. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hi Aaron, atm I am in a fresh Win 7 installation with trim disabled, but I will try to raid my ssd and follow your advices and I will revert here.

Regarding trim, is it really so important to have it enabled?

7. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Mike,

Be forewarned - just like TRIM, RB does not support RAID (officially) - so while it may work, you're on your own there!

Aaron

Edit: Re your TRIM question, as I indicated previously I don't know much about SSDs (and TRIM) - just what I've read.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  8. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Aaron thanks for your replies. My plan is to make an image of the SSD now and then "broke it" in 4 disks and put them on raid0 and see what happens.

If I am not satisfied in the end I will cancel the raid and restore the image. At least thats the plan - hope it will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.