rollback and antivirus

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by unnamed, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unnamed

unnamed Registered Member

about 'rollback' type software,
    if a computer is restored to a chosen fixed image, after restarting it every time, what about antivirus updates? in this case, is an antivirus unnecessary?
    for a single computer being used by several people,unnecessary and dangerous changes are happening to this computer, so is it sufficient to just install a rollback software without bothering about an antivirus, so that all changes are undone and the computer is restored to a prechosen clean state
    also,in the rollback type software category, is rollback rx the best choice?

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Whenever you rollback to a prior time-frame, your AV has to re-update - which it will (or should) do automatically.

I don't think that an AyR/EF/RB user should be without an AV or FW. Sure you can usually rollback to a clean snapshot, but viruses and the like do not always surface immediately, so by the time the infection becomes apparent you may not know when your system was infected and since then you may have made other desired changes to your system which would also be reversed when you rollback to a clean (prior) snapshot.

As with other types of software there is rarely concensus as to which one is best and in that regard IR's are no exception!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You can simply add an exclusion for your antivirus so you don't lose your updates when you rollback to another snapshot.

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

That is what I have doen and it works fine...otherwise just let your AV automatically reupdate itself (which is what I would expect any good AV to do).

:D

5. Aaron Here

Depending on your AV that procedure may not work. I use Norton Internet Security 2009 and when I tried the exclusion method I noticed that NIS didn't load properly in my restored (older) snapshot! :doubt:

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Maybe its stores some files it needs elsewhere? You'd have to track them down and exclude them as well.

7. Aaron Here

The point is that in some cases (like with NIS) excluding the AV is more trouble than its worth. I find when restoring a snapshot (and not excluding NIS), it runs a live-update within a couple of minues and all is ok. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.