Rollback 8.1 Officially Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

2. fce

fce Registered Member

now downloading....

thanks for the info.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The question is now ...how to activate?..as it doesn't seem to recognize my version 8 serial.
    ellison

4. fce

fce Registered Member

release note v8.1

http://www.horizondatasys.com/page.aspx?id=177440 :)

The following are known issues in Rollback Rx v8.1 that will be addressed in later release:

Some Windows Vista PCs with Rollback Rx installed might have problem to hibernate. We believe the probability is less than 1% of all Vista based PCs. The reason is unknown. We have seen it that reinstalling the Vista system makes the problem went away. The practical workaround is to disable hibernation on those PCs.

i got this BSOD during (manual) hibernation. I send support ticket to Horizon and follow their instruction

would you please send me three log files? Thay are setup.log, subconsole.log and 128.dat. Would you mind disable hibernation before there be any workaround? Thanks - horizon

5. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i been use it for 2 days wiht out any problem, so far good release for me

6. gberns

gberns Registered Member

If you are a Gold user you should have received an email about this. The 8.1 serial numbers are all digits and the old serials won't work. It is not a free upgrade for everyone. If you have doubts check their forum or go to their site - the terms should be posted there somewhere.

7. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Surly 8.0 -> 8.1 should be free? I only bought it a month or 2 ago!

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It should be a free upgrade. It is only a minor change.

Just submit them a ticket.

9. ellison64

Activated now ,and it seems fine.I was told initially that my serial had been "reset" and to use that ,however as you pointed out that wont work.I was supplied the next day with a new serial ,and considering the time diffs between myself and horizon data sys i cant complain.Its installed and working fine now.
    ellison

10. fce

fce Registered Member

been beating this new ver 8.1 for almost 2days....

- create bootable disc (new feature), boot using recovery disc (linux) and check if drive image detect my external HDD and internal HDD....all are detected.

- take a lot of snapshot (took me less than 5secs for 20GB/200GB HDD) and delete some of my snapshot, the speed of taking snapshot is like a FERRARI!! :thumb:

- defrag using RBRx everytime i delete 3snapshot, no problem at all.

- create back up to external HDD took me 12 minutes (~20GB/200GB) to finished. not bad at all.

- run rollback system in Vista...after restart...so far so good!

I'm trying also to restore using bootable disc, unfortunately i can't find the snapshot in my internal HDD i browse my C drive but can't find the snapshot....i browse my saved snapshot in external HDD and its there. Maybe i did something wrong in browsing in drive C or RBRx never do auto detect of saved snapshot in drive C (?)

- never try yet how "close virtual drive" and "explore drive image" works...for now i'm good with basic RBRx features.

- try known hibernation problem of RBRx 8.1....boom!! BSOD!!....for now, i disable sleep mode of my PC.....

With Rollback Rx ver 8.1 new features (specially creating recovery disc) and how it works in my computer...i'm very satisfied!

this system restore software are so impressive.

11. ellison64

Has anyone made the "create recovery media" bootable ISO disk?.Ive made one but not sure if its correct.My CDR drive is is,nt recognised ,so i ticked to make a ISO image file.I then had to select an ISO image file ,and browsed to C:\RollBackV81\program files\Shield\Drive image\recovery.iso.Is that the correct file to back up?.Any way i burnt to cd ,put it in my cd tray ,and booted.It seemed to load ,however there werent any snapshots (i only had a baseline at that point...no snapshots ....shouldnt that show ?).So basically i couldnt do anything with that ISO boot disk.Am i doing this correctly?
    tia
    ellison

12. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I presume that your C drive is a protected drive(?). Did it allow you to save the image to the C drive or did you copy it there afterwards?

If C is protected then you won't see the image(s) there when you boot up with the recovery disc as all it can see is your baseline state. I made the mistake once of not opting for the custom install, not realising that it would protect my D drive by default. Of course, I made images on the D drive and it took me quite a lot of head scratching to work out why they were never there when I booted up from CD :) .
    Could you use Standby mode as an alternative? I guess that works ok.

Graham

13. fce

fce Registered Member

yes. C drive is my protected drive.
    I did not copy it manually to drive C or D or external HDD. When i create a back up i dont know where RBRx save the snapshot (i guess its on drive C)

when i boot in recovery disc, i can see all my drive (C, D & Ext. HDD) and i can browse all my drive.

I didn't see the baseline snapshot...not sure though....but my saved snapshot in external HDD i can see them all.

btw, my drive D is not protected. remember you advise me this so that when i restore my old snapshot all my data in drive D is all updated, including outlook.

yeah i think i'll use the standby mode instead.

14. nexstar

That's probably the last place you'd want it to be :) . I haven't got around to installing v8.1 yet so I don't really know how this has been implemented but, when you backup via Rollback you must have been prompted for a location to save to....which is how it got to your external drive. Why do you think it saved a snapshot to your C drive?

Or....(apologies if I'm wrong here) are you thinking that when you take a normal snapshot that this is saved somewhere else on your C drive? What RB does is to lock sectors containing the data from the snapshot in the original location and then keeps a record of which bits of data belong to which snapshots. This is how it can be so fast at what it does. But you won't 'see' each individual snapshot on the C drive as such because the snapshot only exists in the inner workings of Rollback.

Does that make sense....no, I didn't think so either :) .

Graham

15. fce

fce Registered Member

when i used "Take a snapshot" there's no option if i need to save it to drive C or D or external HDD.

but when i used "backup my computer", there's an option what drive you want to save your snapshot.

the problem is when using bootable disc i can't choose the snapshot save in my C drive or the snapshot that i created using "take a snapshot"

yes. :doubt:

btw, i try sleep mode and standby mode....no BSOD, works fine. I guess i will not use Hibernation from now on.

16. nexstar

Ah......this may explain why you were quietly confident in some of your recent posts while others were having kittens trying to get you to image your drive :) .

The snapshot you take which takes a few seconds is more like an exercise in mapping changes in the drive that have taken place since the last snapshot was taken. It doesn't copy the data into a single file but it locks those sectors on the drive so they can't be deleted.

The backup you made to the external drive is a different matter. That will copy all of those sectors associated with that snapshot into a single (or multiple if specified) file which can be copied from place to place and restored at some later time if required.

I'm hoping that a veil is lifting at this point :thumb: :) .

Graham

17. fce

fce Registered Member

thats right.

when using the "backup my computer" feature (not "take a snapshot" feature), this can be view when i used bootable disk to restore my system.

it's better to run also "backup my computer" so that when using bootable disc incase of HDD failure, i can restore my sytem by using bootable disc and saved snapshot or (image?)

now i understand why "take a snapshot" took me less than 5secs to finished and "back up my computer" took me 12mins to back up 20GB.

thanks nexstar. :thumb:

18. fce

fce Registered Member

guys, let's continue our discussion here....regarding the new Ferrari (ver. 8.1) :D

btw, i thought RBRx developer will include the "disable" feature of RBRx?

if somebody do image restore using RBRx8.1 recovery disc, maybe you can share your experience here.
    there's pending question by huntnyc....

19. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

A few more questions :
    1. Does RBRx v8.1 restore more than one harddisk ?
    2. Does RBRx v8.1 restore more than one partition on one harddisk ?
    3. Does RBRx v8.1 restore partitions after zeroing your harddisk ?

The bottom line is to find out, if RBRx v8.1 is a full recovery solution on its own or do we still need an Image Backup software to cover certain situations, which can't be handled by RBRx v8.1.
    So there is alot of testing to do. Everybody, even a kid, can see if a software works fast or not, that is the easy part. :p

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Absolutely BRILLIANT! questions Erik. As i see it, the Ultimate Grail "would" be for a RollBack app to also double as a dependable imaging program too. Now something on that order is sure to draw a following.

21. fce

fce Registered Member

erik,

see attached pics...this might answer your question 2 & 3.

Attached Files:

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Pictures don't tell the whole story. When I booted the CD, I could sorta see my disks, so i tried making an image. It told me my target disk was read only. Once I get Rollback back on, I am going to test with Shadowprotect.

23. fce

fce Registered Member

well, when i used RBRx8.1 recovery disc its shows all my drive (2partition and external HDD)...also its shows me the image i saved in external HDD.

24. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Was also told my external USB drive was a read only SCSI device.

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Quote from the screenshots.
    Why do I have to uninstall RBRx as recommended ? That is an unusual request for restoring an image.

The image + MBR is supposed to restore the complete image, with everything on it.
    If RollbackRx is on that image with 25 snapshots and I restore that image, I expect to see a good working RollbackRx with 25 snapshots and nothing else and I don't care what is installed on the target harddisk at the moment of restoration, because that shouldn't matter. Test it out and more than once.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.