Roboscan ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Isn't PCMAG one of those sites like CNET where products only get stellar reviews if they spend heavy "advertising dollars"?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have seen allegations of that in the past. I remember a few years ago when NOD32 was given a bad review despite perfoming very well in testing, and a product from an advertiser in PC Mag was given a good rating despite performing worse than NOD32 in the test.

EDIT:

However, this particular review does seem to be an unbiased review. But, in any case I would always prefer reviews from AV testing organisations to those from magazines. I know a few years back there were cases magazines would test antiviruses and most of them tested would find all of the virus in the wild they were tested against. Due to the equal permance there, they were also tested against zoo viruses, and the product which had the best detection of these viruses then got the highest rating.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

PC Mag review does seem unbiased.they also mentioned the fact about discrepancy in bitdefender & roboscan detection/false positives when using same definitions which is a known fact because of use of some whitelist used by roboscan.also it is relatively harder for AV to perform as well on an already infected system & this is where the original(bitdefender) will always score over imitations/licensed versions(roboscan & others).still because of the limited scope of the testing(admitted by author himself)it would be unfair to judge an AV based solely on this test.maybe the author in his collection have some exotic viruses/malware against which certain AV's performance is very good while others is very bad but then there is an equal chance he may be missing some samples where the situation will be reversed.this is where extensive testing/large sample base of big/certified organizations score.

4. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

Well from all the different tests Is seen on youtube, roboscan did poorly in all. Specially on blocking and protecting.

5. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

You should take youtube tests with a grain of salt. It doesn't take much to type in a malware domain and copy a bunch of random links. If they can't differentiate a malicious file from a non-malicious one then I see no point of the test. A PUP installer was on the domain, so does that mean it is malicious? Probably not.

Roboscan has a whitelisting technology and if they think that random PUP is not malicious, then it isn't. It would be my opinion versus professionals that know what they are doing.

6. shureu

shureu Registered Member

Just installed roboscan to replace avast. I'm liking it so far. Had only one problem with downloading it as the initial download from the roboscan website was really slow for some reason but other than that it's been nice and light. The first update actually wasn't as long as I expected it to be really.

But so far so good. I have a couple of questions though.

1. How good is the initial real time protection on it? Is it good at detecting stuff before it actually gets in the system?

2. I allowed it to check for vulnerabilities just for fun and the only vulnerability I have is screensaver:not set. Why would not having a screensaver be considered a vulnerability?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  7. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Detection is good, I guess... nothing is 100%. :cool: "Before it gets in the system"? Like bypassed security and infected the system or web protection modules? No, Roboscan does not have any web protection so it will detect a malicious exe when the file is being downloaded, executed, etc.

Take the amateur tests very gently. *puppy* ;)

8. shureu

shureu Registered Member

I guess I should have worded that differently. It was actually about if it had web protection and if it could detect a malicious exe as it was being downloaded. But you actually were able to actually answer it :)

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah roboscan does not have a webscanner or a http scanner

10. taleblou

nah on some test there were real malwares that hijacked the windows and demand payment for their password to release. those nasty money wanting malwares that lock windows. I am not talking about the adwares and spywares.

11. taleblou

Also I did test it on my VM several months ago against rootkits and MBR bootkit and zero days rogues and it let them all through, even though I set the protection to maximum.

12. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

that is basically the first reason I like it
    Webscaner, mailscanner are crapware in my opinion.
    If realtime or heuristic can't detect a malware, could do this a webscanner? No

13. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Um... okay? Then it is your decision on whether you should run it or not. Everyone else uses the product because they are happy with it and only go off the professional results, which currently state that Roboscan is doing very well.

14. IcyCool

IcyCool Registered Member

How does roboscan do with comodo firewall with defense + ?

15. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

they work great but you have to do a mutual exclusion, roboscan folder escluded from D+ check, and CIS folder excluded from Robo ceck

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this has been discussed in the past on wilders. http scanners can block things that the standard real time protection cannot that is why they exist. you will find a thread discusing why http scanners are useful including at least one reply from an expert in the antivirus industry.

17. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

18. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Yes... Those pages have actually been alive for quite some time now. :cool:

19. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

Roboscan is to heavy for me

20. roger_m

Are you running it alongside any other security software. Myself and posters here generally find it to be very light on system resources.

21. THESAWISFAMILY2005

22. roger_m

I found it quite light alongside Kingsoft.

23. THESAWISFAMILY2005

i deleted kingsoft and now am gunna keep roboscan

24. roger_m

As someone who usually does not antivirus software or any realtime security software.and would much rather leave my computer unprotected than face noticeable performance drops from having antivirus software installed, I found both light enough for me to keep installed.

I did not really notice any significant impact in performance

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

same here. I have dumped everything, "no jmonge, I have no license for you," and am going with Roboscan on all computers from here to eternity.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.